Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,089 times

Advertisements

My husband has just been offered a starting job at Boeing in Portland (Gresham area I believe). Promblem is I am a tenured teacher, nervous about giving up my job in Enumclaw, WA to move to the Portland area. I have heard mixed advice on where to go, Vancover, WA to outside Portland. I am looking for a small town with culture (not strip malls with cookie cutter houses everywhere), I ride and compete with horses, and have two young elementary aged kids. I am an elementary teacher so excellent school would be a plus. Any advice on where to start my job and living search?
Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,582,254 times
Teaching positions throughout the NW (probably across the country) will be hard to find. You may want to include private schools in your search.

The horsey community I knew as a kid was at Sylvan, in Washington County and around Wilsonville. That is too far from Gresham for your husband to commute. In my youth I competed (once beat Kevin Freedman in a sack race) so I would hear the gossip even 50 years since I pulled on jodhpur pants - the word is the activity has hit hard times because of the recession and the cost of feed. I suggest you look for riding clubs and go from there. You might look for arena facilities where boarding and pasture are available. As a practical matter this puts you in a rural area east/north/south of Gresham which could include Vancouver (remember that because your husband works in Oregon you will pay Oregon income tax even if you live in WA and have a significant risk of paying a bridge toll as a part of the replacement of the I-5 interstate bridge).

Good luck..

Old 04-08-2011, 04:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times
If your husband's new job will be enough to support you it may be worthwhile to move. If not, it won't be a good idea to give up your present teaching job. It may take years for you to find one in the Portland-Vancouver area.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 PM

The fact that it is an entry position at Boeing bothered me too. They have a history of hiring campaigns and layoffs. If the job exists at their Seattle metro plants and he really wants to work for Boeing maybe he could go alone to the Gresham facility and then transfer.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The fact that it is an entry position at Boeing bothered me too. They have a history of hiring campaigns and layoffs. If the job exists at their Seattle metro plants and he really wants to work for Boeing maybe he could go alone to the Gresham facility and then transfer.
Nell this is a bit off topic but is this a common practice in Portland? I am curious because my former company which hired in droves would do mass layoffs less than a year later just as you described with Boeing.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 PM

It is not unusual for employers whose business is driven by contract work.

Boeing is particularly notorious in this regard. Years ago (well before Microsoft) there really was a sign facing southbound traffic on I-5 "Will the last person out of Seattle please turn off the lights." The result of yet another Boeing layoff.

If this position were in Everett I would be much more comfortable with the OP leaving her job. It may be that Boeing is increasing the size of their Gresham operation but it will still be ancillary. Now I could be wrong, but....

Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM

758 posts, read 2,373,166 times
"If your husband's new job will be enough to support you it may be worthwhile to move. If not, it won't be a good idea to give up your present teaching job. It may take years for you to find one in the Portland-Vancouver area. "

Exactly right. A friend of mine is a special-ed teacher who was laid off last year and is looking all over the state for work before his license expires.

There IS a trend of a few folks retiring in order to lock in their retirement medical benefits, so there is some hope.

Precision Castparts is a large aerospace supplier in the area, and we have a few machine shops that do aerospace work as well.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:33 PM

If judging from this City Data forum is accurate, it would appear that many in the teaching profession are drawn to Oregon. This adds to the comeptition for jobs with the many who are already waiting and have been for a long time. It doesn't appear that years of teaching experience has all that much influence on getting a job. From what I observe, it's being at the right place at the right time, knowing the right people and biding one's time until there is an opening.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM

682 posts, read 2,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It doesn't appear that years of teaching experience has all that much influence on getting a job. From what I observe, it's being at the right place at the right time, knowing the right people and biding one's time until there is an opening.
This is exactly right. School Districts must post their openings, but most of the time they already know who they want for the job and the posting is just a formality. It's an insider's game, so do what you can to get inside.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM

963 posts, read 3,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It doesn't appear that years of teaching experience has all that much influence on getting a job.
If anything, it's probably an inverse relationship. Districts are trying to cut corners any which way they can. One such way is a hiring practice known as "pay-scale attrition." Let's say a teacher is retiring on the top rung of the pay scale, say Step 20 in that district's system, and a new teacher needs to be hired for the position. Let's say the district's policy allows new hires to transfer up to ten years of prior experience. The personnel director has a choice between an experienced candidate with twelve years of highly successful experience who would have to start out at Step Ten, or a graduating student teacher who can start out on Step One for $15,000 a year less. Which teacher is more likely to get the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland