Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:43 PM

33 posts, read 80,118 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I just found out I'll be working in Oregon City, while I thought I'd be working downtown. Can anyone recommend a good area to live in that isn't too secluded but close enough to get to OC relatively easily?

I had my heart set on living close-in...the commute isn't too bad, it seems, but I have a dog I wouldn't want to leave alone all day. Commuting would mean hiring a dog walker.

What's the closest I could live to some action within about 15 minutes of Oregon City? I'd prefer to be in a place where there are coffee shops, movie theaters, people, etc. I'm not going to know anyone out there, so I'm afraid I'll never meet anyone if I live in a secluded area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Well, Oregon City has all those things. But honestly, it wouldn't be my first choice of a place to live. It's older, feels a little lower-class to me. You might want to look at West Linn just across the river, or Lake Oswego which is just a bit further.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,627,441 times
I agree with EnricoV. I would say Lake Oswego will have a little more going on than West Linn, but certainly not as much as close-in Portland.

You may also consider somewhere in Milwaukie that will be close to the new Max line that's going in. So when you want to go to downtown you can just hop on the train.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM

19 posts, read 29,543 times
ALTHOUGH West Linn and Lake Oswego are sure high for a person with a new job.well we have lived in oregon city forever.yes.we feel it is a working mans town.that s what drew our attention to here.good luck

Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 PM

7 posts, read 11,794 times
My job is in Clackamas but I would much prefer to be in Portland. I decided that the commute is worth the quality of life I will have on the evenings and weekends by living in a fun neighborhood in Portland. I know that may not be everyone's choice; I agree with the previous posts that Oregon City doesn't look like a barrel full of monkeys to live in. If you want a short commute, I agree with them - Milwaukie and Lake Oswego would be better. If it were me, Mt. Tabor/Belmont would be about as close to SW as I would choose to live.
I am new to the area so I'm probably not educated enough on the subject but from my limited searching - it still doesn't look like those areas (Lake Oswego, West Linn, Milwaukie) have much community and cultural life. I'm sure I will stand corrected though. The great thing though is that you do have lots of options depending on how you will balance commute time with the amount and type of social life you desire. Best of luck to you on your decision!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Actually Lake Oswego does have a strong community.

Portland is a small city, we don't have the economy to support cultural events in Portland and in the suburbs. There is a scattering of theater groups, classical music ensembles performing at churches and Reed College, but most of the activity is centered in downtown Portland.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 PM

7 posts, read 11,794 times
I knew I would stand corrected by a local Thanks for the info Nell - I'll be sure to look up Lake Oswego theater and music, I'm always up for new things!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Lakewood: Home

Chamber Music NW performs at Reed's Kaul Auditorium as well as Catlin Gabel School and the Lincoln Recital Hall.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 03-20-2011 at 11:54 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
LakeO has an awesome theater company. Check out their website. I used to go quite a bit.

Lakewood: Home

Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,010 times
Jeez people.........you are making Oregon City sound like it's some kind of rusted out, rotting, back east steel town slum.

It's not anything like that.

Sure, the part down by 99 and the river is somewhat industrial, but there are many nice neighborhoods in OC on top of the hill.
It sounds like generalizations are being made of OC by driving through downtown OC and not even knowing what the rest of the town is like.

Also the worry about "commute" times to Portland make me chuckle.
What are we looking at........ 30 minutes tops depending on your route?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland