Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 PM

9,543 posts, read 16,564,662 times

Advertisements

If anyone ever eats in this restaurant in the Pioneer Place Mall downtown it abruptly closed this week. I went there today with some people for lunch, and we were shocked to see this popular restaurant gone. We ended up across the street at Macaroni Grill.

Much of that mall has numerous vacant stores now, and the Borders across the street is gone also. Someone at Macaroni Grill mentioned the theater above where Todai was may be closing also. Whats next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,164,945 times
Probably another retail outlet/restaurant that sells things for twice as much as you can buy it elsewhere.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM

80 posts, read 219,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Probably another retail outlet/restaurant that sells things for twice as much as you can buy it elsewhere.
I think that's a best case scenario. I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up as just MORE vacant downtown space. Portland's often touted "vibrant" and "lively" downtown seems to be gradually deteriorating IMO.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,460,570 times
Restaurants have been closing left and right the last few weeks. The Pearl has lost three alone. A couple off 82nd are gone.

No matter what the economists say, the economy is still down.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,324,249 times
Yes, it is still down and more and more businesses keep closing. I really worry about Oregon.

And while there certainly was a necessity for people to start budgeting better, being TOO frugal does not stimulate the economy. I didn't like Todai but I try for us to eat out once in awhile to help support the restaurants we do like or want to try.

My shopping at Border's almost stopped when they drastically slashed their cd inventory. I go to Music Millenium instead.

Pioneer Mall was never as successful as expected/hoped but it's managed to hang there at least 20 years. A few of the shops I went there for closed long ago. Hope it doesn't end up a ghost mall.

I work for a local government, and it disturbs me how difficult the bureaucracy makes it for small businesses and home occupations. So many people come in with hopes of sustaining themselves only to get their hopes crushed by stupid laws and city ordinances. I could never do any job other than what I do (receptioninig) because my heart wouldn't be in it. I just think it's so wrong.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM

892 posts, read 2,395,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sephora, Niketown and Apple deals might transform downtown Portland | OregonLive.com

Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,499,233 times
Compared to the stores that were downtown when I first moved here years ago, I see far more
expensive stores having taken their place. I wonder if that means Portland is becoming more of a town of haves-and-have-nots with the "haves" being much more prominent.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 PM

9,543 posts, read 16,564,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Compared to the stores that were downtown when I first moved here years ago, I see far more
expensive stores having taken their place. I wonder if that means Portland is becoming more of a town of haves-and-have-nots with the "haves" being much more prominent.

Definitely more expensive stores. Portland does seem to be a town of many have-and-have-nots in a very compact environment. I think thats part of the reason it shows up so much.

The closing of businesses seems to have accelerated. My employer has closed several of its locations in the Portland region this past year, and I expect more will close this year.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 01-22-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 09:05 PM

80 posts, read 219,484 times
I definitely believe Portland has a rapidly diminishing middle class. In all honestly, it seems like the whole country may be heading in that direction but Portland definitely has a head start.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,469,985 times
You know, I was talking to one of my neighbors about going out to eat just the other day.
He is in his early thirties, two kids, he and his wife bring home the salary of a experienced dealership mechanic and a service worker, so I'm guessing about 50 to 60k+ a year.

He told me that while he is blessed with a steady job, he has not recieved a raise in two years, and the price of everything he needs to run a household with two kids has just gone up and up and up.
Everything from utilities to gas to food to insurance to taxes ..... you name it, it costs more than just two years ago, while his wages have not increased.

He just can't afford to drop 30 to 50 bucks twice a month for him and his wife to go out to eat.

He is amazed about the amount of expendable income he used to have a couple of years ago compared to now.
The live in the same place, drive the same cars, same jobs, all the same circumstances, etc, yet it is just becoming more and more expensive to live in Portland.
He told me they just have to keep tightening their belts.

His wife said that they go to farmers markets, raise their own veggies and chickens, buy frugally and have found that they live and eat better that way, and see no reason other than for pure entertainment to go out and eat. And as far as entertainment goes, they would rather spend what ever little extra they have on internet, cableTV, and Netflix.

It is a sign that the economy is still down, but it is also an effect of the current eat organic, wholesome, cheap, and at home movement also.

As an aside, I went Razor Clamming with my buddy on the Long Beach Peninsula this weekend.
Total cost of the trip for me was 10 bucks for gas and a 7 buck WA clamming license.
I got my limit of 15 organic free-range razor clams, which I would have paid 15 bucks a pound for at Safeway.
I would much rather have fun doing that and enjoy cooking and eating my clams at home rather than pay $25+ at a restaurant for a few overcooked clams, french fries, and couple of glasses of overpriced Hefeweizen.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-24-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland