Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:13 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,162,907 times

Advertisements

i'm looking forward to the option of taking public transport to/from work if at all possible. i have no option like that whatsoever right now. i guess if i can't do that, and have to sit in 45+ minutes of traffic every morning, i'll get a comfortable car like a lexus or something. or maybe a prius so i don't feel as bad environmentally speaking ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 39,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fojo View Post
Southern California has seen a lot of "growth" in the last 40 years. Fortunately, they've put in plenty of freeways and no longer have to sit in traffic all day.
right, because driving in So.cal is like taking a cruise through the countryside ...Maybe you haven't been there for 40 years.....

Traffic is STILL horrendous there. Plus more freeways equals a lot more pollution.

RE: other posts.

Using transit from Wilsonville to Portland takes forever...when I calculated time through MAX it took 1.5 hours -- seems kinda long to me. Of course, that was with switching buses and what not...and I admit I don't know how it works since I don't live up there

Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,652,904 times
I was just there two weeks visiting, and it was bad everywhere, day or night. Alot of construction, so that could have caused some of it. But I5 particularly crowded and bumper to bumper. And my family lives clear out in Newberg! Am sure is nothing like the horrors of LA, Houston, Chicago, etc. And compared to my little 200K city, where there is virtually never a traffic jam, is probably why I have little patience for heavy traffic.

Portland great for public transportation. You don't want to take your car downtown on weekdays, you won't move. I did brave it down on a Saturday, again to my regret, so had to have my friend circle round and round whilst I did my errand.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM

47 posts, read 215,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggreenstang View Post
right, because driving in So.cal is like taking a cruise through the countryside ...Maybe you haven't been there for 40 years.....

Traffic is STILL horrendous there. Plus more freeways equals a lot more pollution.

RE: other posts.

Using transit from Wilsonville to Portland takes forever...when I calculated time through MAX it took 1.5 hours -- seems kinda long to me. Of course, that was with switching buses and what not...and I admit I don't know how it works since I don't live up there

Sorry, I was being a bit sarcastic. Yes, Southern California does have a problem with traffic jams despite their wealth of roadways.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:18 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,989,585 times
[i] Investing in public transport makes good sense for the long haul more than freeways do.

And it's good walking.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Southern California has seen a lot of "growth" in the last 40 years. Fortunately, they've put in plenty of freeways and no longer have to sit in traffic all day.

And how pretty is that?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,838,718 times
We've been here one month, living in an extended stay hotel on the border of Tigard/Lake Oswego. My husband commutes to Portland and the traffic has been HORRIBLE. We've decided NOT to buy a house in this part of town because the commute has been so bad (up to 1.5 hrs one way). I have been surprised that "rush hour" seems to be 7 am to 9 am and again from 3 pm to 8 pm. Hard to avoid travel during those times.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Hotel

Topaz, can you please send me a private message with name of hotel and cost please?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:46 AM

I]Topaz, can you please send me a private message with name of hotel and cost please?[/

Never mind Topaz. I got the information from the Internet.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:39 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,636,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
We've been here one month, living in an extended stay hotel on the border of Tigard/Lake Oswego. My husband commutes to Portland and the traffic has been HORRIBLE. We've decided NOT to buy a house in this part of town because the commute has been so bad (up to 1.5 hrs one way). I have been surprised that "rush hour" seems to be 7 am to 9 am and again from 3 pm to 8 pm. Hard to avoid travel during those times.

There are several routes into the city...which is he taking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland