Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,793 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Oregon in the future. I currently work for the VA Medical Center in Indianapolis and would like to transfer to the VA Med. Center in Portland.

Currently I commute 40+ miles one way. Can anyone help me out with where we should be looking for property?

thanks

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 AM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times
Why wouldn't you just look in the Portland area? Do you want to commute that far?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,354,860 times
Having lived in both places, you won't find a lot of difference in traffic.

When I lived there I tried to live in the opposite flow. When everyone else went west, I went east. When everyone went north, I went south. Get the picture?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM

588 posts, read 2,830,879 times
You didn't say what you consider to be a "reasonable" commute. Is anything less than 40 miles fair game? I'd go more by time than distance in determining what is reasonable.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM

You also need to let us know where you live now and what kind of neighborhood you are expecting. Since I know Indy, I can tell you the similarities.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
There is no reason to commute 40 miles. The other issue s/he will need to deal with is parking near the hospital.

Home prices in Portland metro are still dropping. My advise is to rent and after you get to know the community find property where you will want to live for many years. The cost of that move will dwarf what you will save in your home purchase. Check the Portland Housing Blog for their observations.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 PM

963 posts, read 3,036,210 times
I don't really understand this either. The whole purpose of getting a job in Portland is so you can live IN Portland. You'll be losing livability if you get much outside the city. Portland isn't some sprawling urban hell hole like Detroit or Denver. It's a city full of wonderful and varied walkable neighborhoods with excellent public transportation and cultural opportunities. Mother Nature was never evicted from Portland. It is full of parks and woods with hills and streams, lots of wildlife.
If you want to exile yourself to some far-flung burg where you'll become dependent on a car for daily access to the marketplace, then you truly do not understand the energy future that the 21st century is about to slam in our faces.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,793 times
Thanks for all the input.
Let me clarify a few points:

I want to work at the VA and take care of our veterans. I love my work.
I do not want to live in the city limits. I don't have anything against Portland, but I don't think they'll let me have my cow, horse, heritage hogs, chickens and my huge garden.

I commute just over 40 miles now with a drive time of 1h to 2.5 hrs depending on weather. I work nights so rush hour isn't an issue here. However, there is traffic delay on the days that the Colts play.

I'm comfortable with commuting. I have a fuel efficient vehicle. I need to know more what is within and hour to an hour and a half drive time. We'll be looking for property in the country.

As for access to the "market place". I work in town .I live in the country by choice. We grow most of what we consume. I want to continue that way of life.

So if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM

Again it depends on which side of work you are. It can take a couple of hours to go ten miles up in that area. There is rural all over Portland and animals too. But the city goes across the border to the north for 20 more miles or so, and almost to Salem to the south.. The 99/I-5 corridor is a mix of city, suburbs, and farms. The further you get in any direction from the VA Hospital area the worse the traffic gets. (Except for Downtown).

I have a friend by Indy who has horses and wanted to move to Oregon. They ended up in Arizona as horse property here is small and over ten times the cost of horse property in Indiana. They raise miniatures and I will put you in touch with them if you doubt what I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland