Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 AM

Location: minnesota but am moving next summer to the Portland area
2 posts, read 1,931 times

Advertisements

Hi I am Roxanne, I am a single mother of a 18 year old who is chosing not to move with me, lesbian who is originally from Lewiston. I moved to MN in 2002 and have hated since. I would rather move to Portland but Seattle is also ok. I have been in health care for 23 years a CNA then a LPN. All my family is from the west so time to come home anyway I wont know anyone in Portland and looking forward to getting information on lesbian life there and where to make friends. Thanks for the help if you have any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,606 times
Here's a question to (hopefully) help to clarify peoples answers:

What is it that you didn't like about MN? The reason I ask is that I often hear Portland compared to Minneapolis.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,485,346 times
As posted in previous threads on your questions:

Start here ( LGBT street newspaper in Portland)
Gay & Lesbian News Portland Oregon

Most of the City of Portland won't care about your (or anyone else's) sexual orientation unless you make it a public issue. Be aware there are social meetings (not pickup, but just social gatherings) 'meet & greet' for lesbians in Portland. I heard about of one social meeting group that is only for 'lipsticks' since that question was already asked on this board.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 AM

172 posts, read 418,772 times
Nurses seem to be the only people getting hired right now, as far as I know. Portland and Seattle are both very open-minded places, both sound like good places from what you described.

I guess just do your regular homework: having some money to live on when you arrive, aware of cost of living vs what employers pay (many are not aware Portland employers aren't too generous with pay). Seattle is more expensive than Portland, yet salaries are higher. Washing has no state tax yet Oregon has no sales tax. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:25 AM

50 posts, read 102,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post

Most of the City of Portland won't care about your (or anyone else's) sexual orientation unless you make it a public issue.
Just curious, how does one make sexual orientation a public issue? Sounds a little like DADT. I know you mean well Phil, but a statement like stirs up negative connotations. For example, every day, I see advertisements and movies; I watch TV shows and read magazines; everything I see celebrates the lives and loves of heterosexuals and their family life. Is this making their lives a public issue? I see heterosexual parents kissing hello, goodbye all the time in public places. If I did that with my partner would that be making my sexual orientation a public issue?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Open display of intimacy with sexual overtones, including lips on lips kissing, by persons of the same gender makes many people uncomfortable. The same behavior by hetrosexuals makes some people uncomfortable and in many societies is unacceptable behavior. Even the kissing-the-cheeks greeting between the same gender as is common in even very consertive societies makes many uncomfortable in the US.

How any of us behave in public will depend on the opinion we want others to think of us.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 AM

639 posts, read 1,599,606 times
Re: "public issue/sexual orientation?":

From my experienced, the same physical displays that creep folks out when it's between people of the opposite sex will creep people out when it's between people of the same sex (ie: french kissing in a restaurant, "petting" any place in public, ass grabbing).

Anyway, that's not the topic of the OP's question. She didn't ask for acceptance or approval so it's a non-issue. She asked where she can go to make some like-minded friends.

Last edited by aroseinrain; 12-03-2010 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,485,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo44 View Post
Just curious, how does one make sexual orientation a public issue? Sounds a little like DADT. I know you mean well Phil, but a statement like stirs up negative connotations. .........

I see heterosexual parents kissing hello, goodbye all the time in public places. If I did that with my partner would that be making my sexual orientation a public issue?
No,
kissing partners as a greeting or farewell does happen in Portland and I have not heard of any public out cry.

And, from my point of view, the threshold is any nominally private behavior becomes (or crosses into) a 'public issue' when your behavior has been written up negatively in a newspaper (mainstream daily or weekly street newspaper.) For example the following write up in a street weekly newspaper about a Hetero couple:
I, Anonymous | I, Anonymous | Portland Mercury

And while we are on the topic, as an old person, I would also object to reading in the newspaper(s) about Violent Vigilante Vegans Vandalize butcher shop and injure workers. (this has not happened, yet)

Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,595 times
What was the OP's original questions? Geez...

Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
It's not really my area of knowledge, but Hotspots for Portland Lesbians looks like a good place to start. You'll notice that the majority of the addresses listed are in the inner East/South-East area, which I've always heard referred to as having higher numbers of gay/lesbian residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: