Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 05:23 PM

39 posts, read 63,249 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks!! I'm considering moving to Portland in February/March and would like to know what industries are the strongest? I currently work as a Medical Technologist for a hospital and would like to go to PSU for Grad School. I don't necessarily have to find a job as a tech (since I am going back to school), but I would like to find a job with similar pay ($38-43). From what I've read online Portland doesn't seem to have a large bio/tech culture... true?

Would love some advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 PM

10,996 posts, read 20,669,951 times
Check out OHSU and the primate center, I think you will find bio-tech spin-offs from their research. Whether any need employees is a different question.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:02 PM

172 posts, read 419,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msharris0826 View Post
Hi Folks!! I'm considering moving to Portland in February/March and would like to know what industries are the strongest? I currently work as a Medical Technologist for a hospital and would like to go to PSU for Grad School. I don't necessarily have to find a job as a tech (since I am going back to school), but I would like to find a job with similar pay ($38-43). From what I've read online Portland doesn't seem to have a large bio/tech culture... true?

Would love some advice!
Do you mean $38-43 an hour or 38-43K a year?

I'm not sure about the bio/tech culture, but you have to remember like everywhere else, the job market stinks. Some people can find a 100K a year job in a week, some can't find 20K jobs after a year of looking. It depends on your skills, education, work history and how you market yourself.

If you have any kind of hospital experience, I'm sure you can find something, even if it's admin work. The pay might not be what you like but worry about school, work whatever job you can, live frugally, maybe take out loans if you have to. Depending on what you decide for grad school, it could be a very good investment. Now is a good time to work a crap job and get a better education.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,584,377 times
You will have to contact all possible medical facilities to see if they are hiring. I think your salary expectations may be a bit too unrealistic for Portland but it's certainly worth a try. I would start with OHSU since they are a huge research hospital and would probably have the most opportunity.

With all due respect to iliketrain's advice, "crap" jobs are the most difficult to find in Portland. That is for two reasons: those who come here with actual skills, education and experience wind up trying to get them as the default to the fact that they are unable to obtain jobs in their normal professions and those who come here with no skills, education or experience who immediately go for the "crap jobs" because that is all they can do. Lots of competition for the few available jobs.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:02 PM

10,996 posts, read 20,669,951 times
I recommend you look for a job in your field ASAP (even full time) then enroll in the grad program. Often employers will help with tuition and adjust your work schedule.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,605,147 times
There are 2 problems with what you're looking for:

1) THere are no jobs in Portland and
2) Even what jobs there are, you're going to find they'll try to lowball you to an extreme level (you'll be offered 15 bucks an hour).

Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 AM

805 posts, read 2,011,183 times
Hey there, I currently don't live in Portland, but am looking to relocate in the next year or 2... I'm also a lab rat... I only have my MLT right now, but am working on my MT.

I don't think you will have as difficult of a time finding a lab job there as some other people have finding jobs in different industries. Just last night i was browsing lab openings and there were over a dozen in the Portland Metro area. Looks like most of the MT positions are paying from 31-38 an hour over there. Its a little less than what you were looking for, but i figured i would throw it out there on what you should expect. not sure where you are currently located, but maybe cost of living will be less for you in Portland
I've heard the exact opposite as what you stated too, it seems like there are places all over in portland and seattle to work in a lab facility, whether its a hospital or OSHU or a reference lab like quest
Best of luck with your search!!! I know Kaiser Hospitals are currently hiring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland