Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:26 PM

15,753 posts, read 9,597,001 times

Advertisements

Then down to Clewiston to shoot the United States Sugar steam train. On that Saturday, they ran a passenger excursion from their shops in Clewiston to the old train station in Lake Placid. Our first shot was the steamer among the diesels waiting for the passengers to board.

US Sugar Steam 148 @ the Shop by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

The sun was not great on the way to Lake Placid, but we still did some photography of the train.

US Sugar Steam 148 A B W ! by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

Then the passengers were able to disembark the train in Lake Placid for lunch. We ate at a nice Chinese place in a strip mall -- sorry, I forget the name -- and then went back to the depot where I bought a t-shirt and a coffee mug and took a few more shots of the train.

US Sugar Steam 148 C by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

And then just beginning the trek bsck to Clewiston

ussc4128sd3600befunky2color2 by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

We had scoped out the bridge in Moore Haven which we knew we wanted to shoot on the return trip, so we got ahead of the train and just waited. It was worth the wait.

US Sugar Steam 148 in Mooore Haven by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

And one last shot at what turned out to be my favorite location approaching Clewiston at Hwy. 27

US Sugar Steam 148 Over 27 by Joe the Photog, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:43 PM

15,753 posts, read 9,597,001 times
On Sunday, we thought they were going to run a shorter trip on the same line just to Moore Haven and back. So we set up in Clewiston and were very shocked when they left the shop in the other direction. Neither one of us knew this section of track and I believe my buddy, who was driving, was going to leave and go back to Indiantown. But I actually have a spidey sense of where tracks go and how to catch a train in an area I've never been in, so he agreed to chase it. I got us to this spot ahead of the train and he loved it! He kept thanking me for finding it!

Steam Powered Adventure by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

There was a diesel on the other side of the train for the return trip.

US Sugar 312 B by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

We also got a few photographs of some sweet freight trains on the US Sugar lines. They bring sugarcane from the fields in Martin and the surrounding area to a sugar processing plant in Clewiston. The first shot was on the day before the steam trip weekend when we were scoping out the area for shots. This was a train of empties heading back to the fields.

US Sugar USSC 410 by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

They were still running freights on the days of the steam trips and this one slipped in front of it at the Hwy/ 27 crossing.

A Sweet US Sugar Freight by Joe the Photog, on Flickr

United States Sugar Corporation Train by Joe the Photog, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach