Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 06:17 AM

31,994 posts, read 27,162,995 times

Advertisements

First look!

https://www.motor1.com/news/705995/p...estream-debut/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8OrzVtz2QM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 07:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 811,410 times
Nice!

Old 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM

21,926 posts, read 25,275,029 times
Should be worth a look in 2-3 years when they're in the 40-50k price range based on Taycan depreciation.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:30 AM

17,454 posts, read 22,211,561 times
This is a mistake on Porsche's behalf. They are missing the mark and the market is shifting. The Taycan is their perfect example of "PEOPLE DON'T WANT EV PORSCHES"

The gas Macan is a bread and butter suv for them and they are erasing that option by forcing everyone to go EV if they want one.

3 things will happen:

1. Buyers will buy ICE versions of competitors cars (BMW X3 for example)
2. Buyers will move to the Cayenne or buy used Macans
3. It will have a slow take rate, mirroring the epic failure of the Taycan.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is a mistake on Porsche's behalf. They are missing the mark and the market is shifting. The Taycan is their perfect example of "PEOPLE DON'T WANT EV PORSCHES"

The gas Macan is a bread and butter suv for them and they are erasing that option by forcing everyone to go EV if they want one.

3 things will happen:

Not at all. Smart move by Porsche. The Taycan outsells the Panamera even in the US where EVs are pretty unpopular. People don't want gas Porsches. What they want is EVs.

Now, if you say they don't want EV 911s I'd agree with you there. But the Macan and Cayenne CUVs each outsell the 911 by more than 2:1. Will the Macan EV similarly outsell the Macan handily like the Taycan outsells the Panamera? We'll have to wait and see. There's the price problem. The gas one costs less where the Panamera/Taycan are more equally priced. Will it be an epic success as the Tay can has been in both the US and Europe such that Porsche won't really miss leaving ICE sales on the table? Time will tell.

Europe Porsche is discontinuing the aged Macan. It had a good 10 year run and is very old. More meaningfully, it can't meet the regulatory requirements in Europe. It will continue on in the US for some time. A lot of companies made strategic errors in stopping gas development.Porsche maybe less than most. JLR may be driving themselves to bankruptcy. They're apparently all in on EVs despite the one EV they have being a half baked bellyflop versus the great success that the Taycan model has been for Porsche.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:48 AM

37,286 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:

3 things will happen:

What are you talking about? The Taycan sold really well and better than its Panamera counterpart except for supply disruptions because their harnesses were made in Ukraine (which had a bit of a snafu). I'm not sure if you understand this, but Porsche at their price points don't sell in as large of a number as most other premium badges do.

Pretty much everyone except for a small minority in the US are fine with premium electric vehicles and a Porsche Macan EV more easily hits the marks for premium vehicles of low NVH, great performance, good weight balance, low center of gravity, than the ICE counterpart would.

The Taycan's also about to have a refresh. That's going to be pretty stellar.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not at all. Smart move by Porsche. The Taycan outsells the Panamera even in the US where EVs are pretty unpopular. People don't want gas Porsches. What they want is EVs.

Now, if you say they don't want EV 911s I'd agree with you there. But the Macan and Cayenne CUVs each outsell the 911 by more than 2:1. Will the Macan EV similarly outsell the Macan handily like the Taycan outsells the Panamera? We'll have to wait and see. There's the price problem. The gas one costs less where the Panamera/Taycan are more equally priced. Will it be an epic success as the Tay can has been in both the US and Europe such that Porsche won't really miss leaving ICE sales on the table? Time will tell.

Europe Porsche is discontinuing the aged Macan. It had a good 10 year run and is very old. More meaningfully, it can't meet the regulatory requirements in Europe. It will continue on in the US for some time. A lot of companies made strategic errors in stopping gas development.Porsche maybe less than most. JLR may be driving themselves to bankruptcy. They're apparently all in on EVs despite the one EV they have being a half baked bellyflop versus the great success that the Taycan model has been for Porsche.
Nah..........The Panamera has never been a great seller, with bad depreciation they can't lease them effectively either. Porsche is killing the 718s (Boxster and Cayman) this year in Europe also because it can't meet the new standards either.

I was at my local Porsche dealer 2 weeks ago..........Taycans are "lot rot" and the used car manager will not buy another used one for inventory! Taycans were a big deal 4 years ago but look at the resale, people are losing 100K+ on the turbos. Nobody wants to take that kind of beating. They have been discounting them more recently that really crushes resale numbers on used ones and that bumped sales a bit. I've bought 2 new 911s in the last 2 years/same dealer/same salesman

Same game for Mercedes, the EV stuff is "lot rot" and dealers are struggling to sell them/ depreciation is almost as bad as the Taycan.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:34 PM

37,286 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
Nah..........The Panamera has never been a great seller, with bad depreciation they can't lease them effectively either. Porsche is killing the 718s (Boxster and Cayman) this year in Europe also because it can't meet the new standards either.

I was at my local Porsche dealer 2 weeks ago..........Taycans are "lot rot" and the used car manager will not buy another used one for inventory! Taycans were a big deal 4 years ago but look at the resale, people are losing 100K+ on the turbos. Nobody wants to take that kind of beating. They have been discounting them more recently that really crushes resale numbers on used ones and that bumped sales a bit. I've bought 2 new 911s in the last 2 years/same dealer/same salesman

Same game for Mercedes, the EV stuff is "lot rot" and dealers are struggling to sell them/ depreciation is almost as bad as the Taycan.
The Panamera is very closely equivalent to the Taycan, so it's more about the category of vehicle they're in rather than the powertrain. For the automotive segment of four door sedans with high price points, the Taycan does better than its Panamera counterpart. If anything, the Taycan experience has likely solidified Porsche's support for moving towards EVs given how receptive its audience has been to it and with the very direct comparison they're able to make to the Panamera.

Porsche is not the kind of volume seller that Audi, BMW, and Mercedes are. Porsche has usually been at a higher price bracket and lower sales numbers than the other German luxury brands.

As for depreciation, this except for limited editions and the much higher bracket vehicles that are in even smaller numbers, has usually been heavy.

If you're buying Porsches and their depreciation is shocking for you, then buying a new Porsche might not be the right move for you.

Mercedes is an odd one where they made their EVs a completely different series that departed heavily from their standard vehicle lineup, naming, and looks. They're supposedly backtracking on that now as the upcoming electric G-Class isn't going to be under the EQ series (so there's no EQG coming), but rather just the standard naming convention appended with "with EQ technology" and the vehicle will look very similar to the ICE G-Class. This is more in line with BMW's EVs after the i3 and i8 where their EVs looked very similar to and were positioned very similar to their ICE lineup and offered more as a powertrain option than a different vehicle series. That's so far worked out a lot better for BMW than it has for Mercedes with something like 13% of BMW's US sales (much higher elsewhere) being BEVs this past quarter despite much of its lineup not having a BEV equivalent in the US yet.

Anyhow, review embargoes have been lifted! And so far, they've been stellar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rusSahxFMb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ln6GezXaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG6EZr6uP00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMhZZeUFO-Q

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-06-2024 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-07-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Yup. Informed buyers were leasing rather than buying new. EVs are just advancing too quickly. Big improvements on the 2025 makes them way more desirable. Nobody cares about the Turbo models as the Taycan isn't an enthusiast car. Same with Ford Escape EV. Used market the GT models really don't command much of a price premium over an AWD extended pack. The regular ones are fast enough and handle well enough for the non-enthusiast buyers. Turbo was just for ego buyers who needed the best but they need new anyway.

Porsche choosing not to sell the Boxster/Cayman is more of a head scratcher. They were never big sellers like the Taycan though. Maybe the EV Boxster will be good. I am skeptical. In BMW land, the m340i does a better job at the fun quotient than the i4. In a daily the sales success of the i4 does not surprise me. Maybe Porsche can do a better job there. Macan is bought as a daily though. If buyers can swallow the hefty price increase, or Porsche is aggressive in the discounts to revert the price hike, Macan EV will do well. Boxster EV im interested in seeing it but skeptical.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:56 AM

So my dealer gives Macans as loaner cars. What's going to happen when they go EV, can't hand those out to people who don't have charging at home? My guess: they will load up on base model Cayennes and give those out instead. So 100K loaners instead of 75K loaners and Porsche will pay for it (depreciation/ loaner expense whatever you call it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche