Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times

Advertisements

So I've been kind of looking at a second car, specifically 4-seat convertibles, that could be a somewhat daily driver. Budget's around $20K.
This is how much of "not a car guy" I am......never even thought about a Porsche and was stunned when I heard that 911's were available as AWD. I just didn't know. I was looking at Volvo C70s, Volkswagens, Toyotas, Audis, Infinitis, even the Chrysler 200 V6. Saw a 911 an hour away from me at a lot and said "I'll just look at it."
Next thing I know I'm sitting in it, was surprised at the comfort for a sports car, and then even taking it for a test drive, oh why not, right?. Best car I've ever driven. Surprised at the room, rear seat, and esp. the handling for a sports car. And of course the look and the power.
I'm a 55 year old high school teacher male, almost pulled the trigger on a used Volvo C70 hardtop convertible last spring, only 6 years old. But this specific affordable model of Porsche has got me somewhat obsessed. I've been reading up hard, know all about the rear seal, the fried egg headlights, the water cooling, the IMS, etc etc. But to get a 2002 Cabriolet for under $20K with around 50K miles was a shocker to me, older car or not.
I am not having a midlife crisis, I swear. I'm a well-balanced happy guy, though single. I just remember taking the test drive through the curvy high desert roads of New Mexico on the test drive and smiling so much my face hurt the whole time. I just had no idea. And it's not really about the speed, it was just the whole experience. (Side question....IS this a midlife crisis?)
I also remember my last foray into "not a car guy" mode where you could always find me under my used Land Rover in the driveway (I can do some BASIC car stuff), cussing and filthy and hating all things European while repair money absolutely flew out of my bank account monthly, despite my best efforts. I loved it when it was running though. Also concerned that a 911 will be all of this again.
Thoughts?

Last edited by kpl1228; 02-11-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Well, if you are not a car guy, probably 1 of 2 things happens:

1 - The Porsche changes that and you become a "car guy" because they are great to drive
or
2 - The fun to drive factor wears off in a few months and you are stuck with an impractical car that is expensive to maintain.

Can't tell you which one it will be. You said "4 seat" convertibles at the top, and you should in no way consider the 911 as a true 4 seat convertible, as its a 2+2 mostly only good if the 2 rear passengers are less than 10 years old. If you can move one of the front seats up a bunch (if the driver is shorter, or the passenger is willing to sacrifice some comfort) you can squeeze a larger person in there for a short trip.

Second, as you alluded to, they can be a little more money to maintain. For example, it takes 9 quarts of synthetic oil, so even an at-home oil change costs almost twice as much as a "standard" car, but you can still get DIY for $70 or so. Bigger items obviously more so impacted.

Finally, there's the owning of the Porsche experience. Lots of car guys love it, and may want to talk to you about it, which you may like. On the other hand, there will be plenty of jealous people giving you grief about it, and asking how a high school teacher can afford it, etc. You'll worry parking it at the store, because some jealous idiot will key it just because you have it and they don't.

I had a (non-Porsche) sports car, that even brand new cost a bit less than my daily driver SUV. But I couldn't drive it to see customers. I got a couple of half-joking comments of "oh, we must be paying you too much if you can drive that", again, despite the fact that it wasn't as expensive as the somewhat run-of-the-mill SUV they saw me drive 100 times and never commented on. As a car guy, you probably could shrug that nonsense off. As a non car-guy, you may get tired of saying "yeah, I bought this for less than the price of a Honda Civic".

Really hard to say in your case how you personally would feel about it all, and probably the biggest unknown is what problem do you get hit with when from a maintenance standpoint as well. The unexpected bill, which may or may not happen, always can be a big downer.

The only good news is, unless you have a major repair expenses with it, you could probably drive it for a year, see how you like it, and sell it for not much of a loss if it isn't for you.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:57 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
A couple things, the 2002 model you looked at does not have the "fried egg" headlights, those were on the previous model years 1999-2001, in 2002 Porsche gave all models the 911 turbo headlights to differentiate from the Boxster.

If you know about the IMS, and have a plan to account for that, then go for it. Replace it and you won't need to worry about it ever again, or anything else concerning that engine, really. Porsche is the most reliable European manufacturer, borne out every year by reliability reports. https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...dability-study

Check to make sure all maintenance has been performed. Get the VIN and do a VIN check, see what records come up. If possible, check with local dealerships to have them pull up service records on it.

If you happen to know anyone with a Porsche who has their own Durametric, they can run a scan and tell you a lot of information about the car, even down to how many times the car has been over-revved.

If you've had a Land Rover, you've already experienced the worst maintenance a person can have for a modern car, and you shouldn't be worried about it at all with Porsche. Going to the dealer is expensive, but aftermarket parts are plentiful and cost about on par what you'd expect for any other car. Oil changes can be done yourself.

If you do buy it, you'll suddenly be a part of a group of fellow owners who (in my experience) are always willing to share their knowledge and lend a hand.

Good luck.

-996 Turbo owner

Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, you need at least one silk shirt, one big gold medallion, and some Brut.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, you need at least one silk shirt, one big gold medallion, and some Brut.
This.
And where's the hairpiece and the big-boobied bimbo much younger girlfriend fluffing her hair while taking selfies? Though my mind had Drakkar Noir instead of Brut.
This is easily a big part of the equation for me. The aging single guy midlife crisis thing, or at least the perception of it. No offense taken with the above post: it's been a concern from day one because reputation matters to me. Especially at a small town high school.
It isn't speed or "chicks" (in quotes on purpose) or the cool sound of engine (well, maybe partly that, c'mon, it's awesome) or income/ social status or anything like that: I just really like the car. And I don't want this perception of midlife crisis to push me into a Camry. I've had plenty of those and its brethren. Have a Mazda 6 now.
It would also never be a red Porsche. For the perception reason is strong enough to decide that for me, fair or not.
This midlife crisis thing is a whole 'nother post, for sure, probably in the psych/relationships part of C-D. But that perception is there. And as predicted, it's been said to me (not every time though) when I bring it up. For example, none of my car guy friends ever say it. And interestingly, the ones who do say it have all been my female friends and coworkers. Younger as well as those my age. Red flag, and noted. And I don't blame them: it's a solid perception. Just not in my case.
As an aside, I was tailed by a cop at the end of the test drive, though I was absolutely behaving. And there was no doubt about him tailing me. Another red flag?

Back to the post, all of you have made great points. Keep 'em coming. This is much appreciated.

Last edited by kpl1228; 02-11-2019 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Well, if you are not a car guy, probably 1 of 2 things happens:

Finally, there's the owning of the Porsche experience. Lots of car guys love it, and may want to talk to you about it, which you may like. On the other hand, there will be plenty of jealous people giving you grief about it, and asking how a high school teacher can afford it, etc. You'll worry parking it at the store, because some jealous idiot will key it just because you have it and they don't.

I had a (non-Porsche) sports car, that even brand new cost a bit less than my daily driver SUV. But I couldn't drive it to see customers. I got a couple of half-joking comments of "oh, we must be paying you too much if you can drive that", again, despite the fact that it wasn't as expensive as the somewhat run-of-the-mill SUV they saw me drive 100 times and never commented on. As a car guy, you probably could shrug that nonsense off. As a non car-guy, you may get tired of saying "yeah, I bought this for less than the price of a Honda Civic".
In the high school employee lot, I'm not sweating this TOO much. Fenced and lots of cameras. And no where near the general parking lot. But around town? I've already committed myself to my non-fancy Mazda as the in-town daily driver for this reason, to the fair, WalMart, etc. I've also seen (this is going way back) drunks leaving and keying parked sports cars leaving some downtown club in the cities I used to live in back east. I'll be careful of this for sure. Especially at the high school for, say, a Friday night football game. Rarely if ever will it be there... sad to say. One kid who's mad at me in class could make it awful. Maybe I can park it next to the gym teacher's Mustang GT. (Though he's 26.)

My high school is a poor small New Mexico school, but because so many are rancher's kids the parking lot is full of $60K diesel pickup trucks, fully decked out. Some even more than the Porsche cost when it was new nearly 20 years ago. And, ironically, those will be the people who will bring up the large price tag, because of, again, the perception. I've already got the speech worked out. Again, sad to say.

Both of the above are accurate and helpful. Thanks. And it's all still better than getting a car that's not my first choice because of what others think. Though it's there, admittedly. My concerns are more about operating costs (the additional second-vehicle full coverage insurance is reasonable, yay, cause I'm older!) though at this current moment its not as much about costs: it's veered into something much more psychological.

Last edited by kpl1228; 02-11-2019 at 08:30 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 PM

940 posts, read 968,468 times
I have always wanted a 911. Since I was a kid. I also am drawn to your body style. But, a 17 year old car? For $20,000? With what will end up being some large maintenance issues with expensive parts even if you DIY?

Yes I could buy it. Would I enjoy it that much? I dunno. Have you looked at the Cayman? How many times would you bring four people in this car?

FWIW convertible sports car screams mid life crisis to me! (Sorry!)

I used to live in Farmington.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 PM

940 posts, read 968,468 times
Also I test drove a Panamera. I liked the looks. Wasn't super impressed with the drive, but the interior was comfy.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post

FWIW convertible sports car screams mid life crisis to me! (Sorry!)

I used to live in Farmington.
No offense taken: I need to hear it, though it does (or at least did) scream it to me too. And ironically, here I am looking at this car....
I'm in southern NM, btw. Familiar with that Farmington area though. Lots of Navajo culture (taught at a Navajo school a few years back) and close to some cool places in southern CO.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:22 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
If you're not a car guy, and you suddenly go out and buy a sportscar (any sportscar) at your age, sure, people will give you the "midlife" crisis line.

Eventually though, it'll just be the car you have. After say, 5 years of ownership, it won't be a midlife crisis car, it'll be a car you love driving. From your original post, it doesn't sound like this is a midlife crisis... It's more a case where you finally drove a decent handling car with good power at the age of 55 and figured out what all the car guys have been raving about for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Porsche