Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,680,070 times

Advertisements

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Gary Pfleider II served his country for six years before he became a member of the new generation of disabled veterans.

Pfleider, a former Oregon National Guard soldier, was shot by a sniper while on patrol in Iraq in September 2007.

Soldier shot in Iraq billed for missing military gear | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 08:30 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,658,548 times
Doesn't surprise me considering how strict they are with record keeping. They account for every item, and I mean every little item.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:55 PM

301 posts, read 1,328,846 times
Will someone explain to me how a soldier who is wounded in the field is supposed to have the composure to start making a checklist of his gear while writhing in pain or incapacitated?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 PM

38,169 posts, read 22,271,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Will someone explain to me how a soldier who is wounded in the field is supposed to have the composure to start making a checklist of his gear while writhing in pain or incapacitated?
That is what happens when you deal with a bloated government, they follow the regs, and the people tasked with inventory and charging for lost items are not allowed to decide on their own and make exceptions. The guy prob went straight to the hospital, and someone else inventoried his equipment for him. Which is why I do not like having to work with the government, you usually give up trying to fight the system, by the time you could find someone who can make special arrangements or exception its years later. I knew people trying to settle a pay or records problems and it can take over three years.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
I don't believe he is expected nor will he ultimately be held accountable for it , AND if he is held accountable for it someone needs to change that pronto and reimburse any soldier that has already paid for lost items. His problem which is a common occurrence everywhere in the government is red tape. It will probably end up costing more in administrative costs and his costs to get it straightened out than what the equipment cost.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 AM

138 posts, read 165,677 times
Maybe he is a gay soldier. That has to be it.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:02 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,912,416 times
send the bill to one D Rumsfeld

Old 05-30-2010, 09:58 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,264,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't believe he is expected nor will he ultimately be held accountable for it , AND if he is held accountable for it someone needs to change that pronto and reimburse any soldier that has already paid for lost items. His problem which is a common occurrence everywhere in the government is red tape. It will probably end up costing more in administrative costs and his costs to get it straightened out than what the equipment cost.
He won't be held accountable for it, you are correct. This is the "indignation" crap that the publications like to put out to rile up folks and help their sagging subscription rates.

The military has strict controls on all issued items, and is required to account for everything issued when a member leaves their service. The process is generally an automated inventory, and when the member responds to the reimbursement letter it is with a copy of the document validating that they were "disability separated". At that point, the stuff is just written off the inventory list.

That is the process folks, I've seen hundreds of those exchanges. It isn't a big deal.

If DoD didn't do this, the papers would just write about the lack of control over the stuff paid for by taxpayers, and dopey posters would just turn it into a political football.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 AM

301 posts, read 1,328,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
He won't be held accountable for it, you are correct. This is the "indignation" crap that the publications like to put out to rile up folks and help their sagging subscription rates.

The military has strict controls on all issued items, and is required to account for everything issued when a member leaves their service. The process is generally an automated inventory, and when the member responds to the reimbursement letter it is with a copy of the document validating that they were "disability separated". At that point, the stuff is just written off the inventory list.

That is the process folks, I've seen hundreds of those exchanges. It isn't a big deal.

If DoD didn't do this, the papers would just write about the lack of control over the stuff paid for by taxpayers, and dopey posters would just turn it into a political football.
Okay, I appreciate the explanation. So, this in case, is it safe to say that the wounded soldier was just somewhat neglectful / unaware as to what procedures to follow when it came to alerting DoD as to why his equipment was missing?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
The article states he already did that and they are docking his disability check.

Quote:
The federal government has been deducting money from his disability check each month to cover the billed costs. And Pfleider said the feds withheld his tax return for the same reason.
...and...
Quote:
But Pfleider has already done that. He still has a copy of his sworn statement, which he signed and submitted at the Albany, Oregon armory in February. The former soldier fears his case is lost in a pile of paperwork between Oregon and Washington.

"Honestly, I do. I think it's just sitting somewhere on somebody's desk at Fort Lewis, and they just don't want to mess with it because they don't think it's a big enough issue," he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies