Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,561,987 times

Advertisements

If the government can't gather enough support from the public to field a voluntary army, then that war probably isn't worth fighting in the first place.

See: the current Iraq war.

The military is falling apart right now because people don't want to be sent into the quagmire in Iraq. Period. How would the draft make our leaders more accountable, again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 03:29 PM

332 posts, read 449,659 times
This war is pointless! I support the troops but Bush isn't worried about trying to find Osama Bin Laden he's too worried about oil. I mean really, if we were over there trying to find him, I think we would of found him by now! but Bush has the troops over there killing innocent people just to get more oil. The war is "POINTLESS". I'm almost 18 and I refuse to be drafted into a war that I don't support,but for those of you who do support it, why don't you get off your computers and quit complaining about the ones who don't support it and go fight in it?

Old 06-16-2007, 04:55 PM

451 posts, read 836,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
If the government can't gather enough support from the public to field a voluntary army, then that war probably isn't worth fighting in the first place.

See: the current Iraq war.

The military is falling apart right now because people don't want to be sent into the quagmire in Iraq. Period. How would the draft make our leaders more accountable, again?
Just out of curiosity what country are you talking about? At first I thought the USA, then I remembered that we have fielded a "voluntary army" and I don't think the military is falling apart. Sorry to bug but I am just trying to understand your post.

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,086,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
This war is pointless! I support the troops but Bush isn't worried about trying to find Osama Bin Laden he's too worried about oil. I mean really, if we were over there trying to find him, I think we would of found him by now! but Bush has the troops over there killing innocent people just to get more oil. The war is "POINTLESS". I'm almost 18 and I refuse to be drafted into a war that I don't support,but for those of you who do support it, why don't you get off your computers and quit complaining about the ones who don't support it and go fight in it?
The war isn't about finding Osama. He's one of thousands. to take him out would not do anything.

Do you understand how the draft works and why it is used? Being only 17 tells me that you've not got the miles on your butt that are needed to understand life.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,632,456 times
A draft just isn't going to happen so there's no point in even bringing it up. We're in the current mess because our leaders made one of the worst blunders in modern times and even die hard Republicans are finally realizing this. Now we're faced with Iran which really is a threat because they're making the most of our mistakes by expanding their own influence in the region. Iraq had never attacked the United States and was never a threat to our national security. Now that we've converted that nation into a recruiting station for terrorists we've made the entire world more dangerous but we've also made our own citizens so cynical and disgusted that a draft has absolutely zero chance of ever happening.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:02 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,798,243 times
Gates has held out the possibility of US troops reductions if the surge succeeds in calming a wave of sectarian violence in Baghdad by September, but he was more cautious Saturday during a brief unnannounced visit to Baghdad.

"I actually think it is premature to answer that question or make that judgement," he told reporters."

Gates says Iraq troop surge only starting to bite - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Wanting to save our troops from gettng sent over to be blown up in a pointless exercise is not being unsupportive.

One thing i'm sure we could agree on is I'm glad you are not in Iraq fighting on the American side now.

Sure Sprinter - keep listening to the spin doctors. Every year since 2002 Bush comes out with his new general and says it will take months to see results in Iraq. And every year it gets worse. In January Bush promised we would see results in 6 months. Then the date is pushed back to September. Now they are saying we might just start to see some results by September. Since it is obvious to anyone with a brain that none of the political benchmarks or metrics are even close to getting accomplished.
I can't wait to see what you guys say in September when the rest of the Republicans finally join in to stop this silliness, to save their own political hides.

And no need to get personal...as I mentioned before I am secure in my own past service for our nation to know I have done a lot more for my country than the majority of lemmings out there ever have. That does not mean I have to support government policy like a robot.
Btw senior texan, thank you for your service. You are right that troops unfortunately have no choice in what war they fight - that does not mean I have to support seeing them sacrificed and our active military strained to the breaking point and soldiers sent back for multiple tours -for what? Have we not "emboldened" Iran since they see we have our hands full with Iraq, and Iraq is now no longer a threat to them? I mean, come on.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:19 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,798,243 times
Texan born - looking at your post again you say you had several family in Vietnam (as did I) - so...can't you be proud of your family and their service - and still agree the Vietnam war in retrospect was probably not such a good idea? I would think especially for us who have actual family in the military - we should be allowed to take a critical eye at where they are being sent in harm's way. It means a lot more to us than those who think "Support our Troops" means to slap a bumper sticker on the SUV.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:55 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,561,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Just out of curiosity what country are you talking about? At first I thought the USA, then I remembered that we have fielded a "voluntary army" and I don't think the military is falling apart. Sorry to bug but I am just trying to understand your post.

Thanks.
"Falling apart" was probably too strong a phrase, but enlistment is down and the military is vastly overstretched. So it's seen better times.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:54 PM

451 posts, read 836,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Gates has held out the possibility of US troops reductions if the surge succeeds in calming a wave of sectarian violence in Baghdad by September, but he was more cautious Saturday during a brief unnannounced visit to Baghdad.

"I actually think it is premature to answer that question or make that judgement," he told reporters."

Gates says Iraq troop surge only starting to bite - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Wanting to save our troops from gettng sent over to be blown up in a pointless exercise is not being unsupportive.

One thing i'm sure we could agree on is I'm glad you are not in Iraq fighting on the American side now.

Sure Sprinter - keep listening to the spin doctors. Every year since 2002 Bush comes out with his new general and says it will take months to see results in Iraq. And every year it gets worse. In January Bush promised we would see results in 6 months. Then the date is pushed back to September. Now they are saying we might just start to see some results by September. Since it is obvious to anyone with a brain that none of the political benchmarks or metrics are even close to getting accomplished.
I can't wait to see what you guys say in September when the rest of the Republicans finally join in to stop this silliness, to save their own political hides.

And no need to get personal...as I mentioned before I am secure in my own past service for our nation to know I have done a lot more for my country than the majority of lemmings out there ever have. That does not mean I have to support government policy like a robot.
Btw senior texan, thank you for your service. You are right that troops unfortunately have no choice in what war they fight - that does not mean I have to support seeing them sacrificed and our active military strained to the breaking point and soldiers sent back for multiple tours -for what? Have we not "emboldened" Iran since they see we have our hands full with Iraq, and Iraq is now no longer a threat to them? I mean, come on.
Well if you can't see any results in Iraq then you probably never will.

Yes I can tell that you are secure in your own past service you seem to bring it up alot. That said I'm sure the people you refer to as lemmings are grateful.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:59 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Texan born - looking at your post again you say you had several family in Vietnam (as did I) - so...can't you be proud of your family and their service - and still agree the Vietnam war in retrospect was probably not such a good idea? I would think especially for us who have actual family in the military - we should be allowed to take a critical eye at where they are being sent in harm's way. It means a lot more to us than those who think "Support our Troops" means to slap a bumper sticker on the SUV.
But I remember when they were coming home from Nam ( I wasn't a kid even back then) and were being called baby killers by Americans in Americas streets. And if it wasn't for 9/11 I think alot of these people here would be calling todays soldiers the same. And yes as time has gone by I do think we had no business in Vietnam. I see alot of those Nam Vets at the VA Hospital like last week when I was there.

But I have also have a belief, If you haven't served or have someone that is/has think before you speak.

I have one of those Support the Troops stickers on my tailgate...and a US Army sticker on my back window..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies