Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:14 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,890,252 times

Advertisements

Based on the photos that I've seen of this freak of nature I'm not anticipating too many men getting upset because of the competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 AM

3,326 posts, read 3,185,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
Nope. "Psychiatric care" doesn't cut it. If it did, you'd see less people transitioning. If it were as simple as going to a psychologist or taking a pill to make you feel better, life would be much easier for us.
Or learning to accept yourself as you are.

Quote:
There are studies showing that the brain of a transgender person has more in common with the brain of the gender they identify with than the sex they were born into. It's very likely there is a biological cause, but we're not sure what it is yet. Last I heard they were pondering the effects of hormone levels in utero.

This sounds suspiciously like the homosexual debate. Science offers tantalizing possibilities but can find no cause and effect. Maybe someday we'll know but all we really know for sure is we don't know.

Quote:
If you really read that article, a lot of those people de-transitioned because they lacked a support network, or for social reasons (relationships, job, etc). We don't have solid stats, but I can tell you I know around 30 people who are trans, myself included, and only one of them has changed her mind about transitioning.
I did read it. Things didn't work out because.........it's other people's fault. Yeah I got that.

Look, I'm not without empathy but we all have our troubles. I wish I'd been taller, better looking, more intelligent, had a functioning family when growing up. I wish my lungs weren't slowly failing. The list is endless. I just do the best I can with the hand I was dealt. Good luck to you.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,161,188 times
My heart goes out to transgendered people. I can understand the difficulty. But the physical transformation is unnecessary. It's not they that need to change, it's us. We should be able to accept that people's physical gender and psychological gender are not always compatible. We should be able to treat each other as humans instead of as male and female for it takes both to make each of us. Both sides exist within all of us. There should be no stigma in acknowledging or discovering ourselves. One shouldn't have to suffer because they are different.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM

315 posts, read 368,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Look, I'm not without empathy but we all have our troubles. I wish I'd been taller, better looking, more intelligent, had a functioning family when growing up. I wish my lungs weren't slowly failing. The list is endless. I just do the best I can with the hand I was dealt. Good luck to you.
Using words like "it" to describe a person and refusing to use their preferred pronoun are not exactly hallmarks of empathy.

I do hear the "well what if I think I should be taller/a different race/a mighty lion?" thing pretty often. It's not really the same. None of those things are a medical condition. We don't have a successful human-to-lion surgery or feline hormone replacement therapy.

I wish your lungs weren't failing, too. But that's a much more apt comparison. I understand that has to be painful for you, and obviously it affects the quality of your life. I hope whatever is causing it has some treatment that, if it can't be cured, can at least give you many happy, livable years.

It would be sad if someone called you an "it" because of it.

Life was painful for me before. This affected the quality of my life, too. I tried psychologists, medicine, hormones that were supposed to work with my body. None of it helped. But lo and behold once I started transitioning I feel the way I should. I'm happy and my life finally feels like it's progressing.

I'd want that for anyone.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,920,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Well I do know I have a Y chromosome. Chaz isn't pinoccio. Wishing really, really, hard or having a pocket full of her momma's money isn't going to make her a "real boy."
Wow. Totally missed the point there- gender is about more than an "x" or "y" chromosome. I'm not going to explain the science to you - it's readily available if you'd care to look it up.

And as I mentioned earlier, the appropriate pronoun is now HE, unless you're purposefully trying to be insulting to someone post-op.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
And as I mentioned earlier, the appropriate pronoun is now HE, unless you're purposefully trying to be insulting to someone post-op.
Even pre-op, you should use someone preferred pronoun.

I've always disliked all the emphasis on surgery. I know Chaz talked about it, but everyone's assuming he has a penis now. He might not. But it doesn't matter.

There is no one surgery for either gender. Some people have several, some people have none.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 PM

38,782 posts, read 26,592,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, I am agreeing also.

"she said 'hey babe, take a walk on the wild side"

I also agree. The procedure just makes for one horribly mutilated female.

Last edited by momonkey; 05-13-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
Using words like "it" to describe a person and refusing to use their preferred pronoun are not exactly hallmarks of empathy.

I do hear the "well what if I think I should be taller/a different race/a mighty lion?" thing pretty often. It's not really the same. None of those things are a medical condition. We don't have a successful human-to-lion surgery or feline hormone replacement therapy.

I wish your lungs weren't failing, too. But that's a much more apt comparison. I understand that has to be painful for you, and obviously it affects the quality of your life. I hope whatever is causing it has some treatment that, if it can't be cured, can at least give you many happy, livable years.

It would be sad if someone called you an "it" because of it.

Life was painful for me before. This affected the quality of my life, too. I tried psychologists, medicine, hormones that were supposed to work with my body. None of it helped. But lo and behold once I started transitioning I feel the way I should. I'm happy and my life finally feels like it's progressing.

I'd want that for anyone.
I didn't use "it." I've consistantly used the pronoun "she." "Chaz" bono may not be a man in my book but she's still human. If my lungs could be cured, that doesn't mean I'd have happy, livable years. That holds true for chaz as well. Life has no guarantees, except death.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM

And 'she' is the wrong pronoun to use.

And you're right, life have no guarantees, and when it's over, it's over.

Which is why it's important to live this life the way you want to. I'm hoping for a long and happy life full of new and awesome experiences, but if I die tomorrow, at least I got to live as myself for a while.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Wow. Totally missed the point there- gender is about more than an "x" or "y" chromosome. I'm not going to explain the science to you - it's readily available if you'd care to look it up.
It's a pretty reliable indicator of gender.

Quote:
For you the appropriate pronoun is "he." For me the appropriate pronoun is still "she."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies