Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,559,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Yes, the fact that the player is being judge by his race (white) rather than his on field performance.

and I believe the previous poster was stating that the (white) owners are at fault. What i'm saying is no matter what color the owners or coach's are, its unfortunate that their bowing down to the stereotype thats out there about football players. If this young man is good, then that should be good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,624,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
and I believe the previous poster was stating that the (white) owners are at fault. What i'm saying is no matter what color the owners or coach's are, its unfortunate that their bowing down to the stereotype thats out there about football players. If this young man is good, then that should be good enough.
The article didn't talk about "team owners" judging his performance or making such statements to him. These were team scouts making such statements to him. What race are team scouts? Can you tell me that based upon the article? No where in the article does it say a team owner said this to the player so stop with the "team owners are white" argument. Racism is racism but I guess it's only racism to you if it's against black people.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,559,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The article didn't talk about "team owners" judging his performance or making such statements to him. These were team scouts making such statements to him. What race are team scouts? Can you tell me that based upon the article? No where in the article does it say a team owner said this to the player so stop with the "team owners are white" argument. Racism is racism but I guess it's only racism to you if it's against black people.

Wait back up,...your directing this at the WRONG person. Again, I didn't make the statement, I didn't even try to explain this away at all, actually I don't believe anyone on this thread has tried to explain it away or make excuses for the statements or actions of the NFL.
What I am concerned about now is what is going to happen now with this young man's chances at the draft. You would think a 2nd place heisman trophy winner would be in the 1st round and the fact that he's not should definately be looked into.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,826,267 times
If you think they are using race, to build a winning team, it does not make sense to turn down the best because of skin color.

But with that said, I could see it happening, with the right nut making the decisions.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,756,737 times
This happens all the time; it just does not always get media attention. Its part of the larger narrative of race in this nation, one in which blacks are favored for physical reasons and whites are favored for intellectual reasons. This is born from the doctrine that blacks are naturally better athletes than whites and whites are naturally smarter than blacks. (but whites are doing the favoring on both ends)

Here is another angle, piggy backing off societal stereotypes. Often time’s blacks, who speak well, are often noted for “how articulate and smart” they are when a white person could speak the same way and no special mention of intellect is offered. It’s likely because such speaking and intellect is seen as “the norm” for white people…..but not for blacks. In the same way, a white who does really well in Football or Basketball likely gets overly praised for skill sets that, if it were a black person, would receive no special mention at all, because it would be assumed as coming “standard” with that model (blacks).

Old 04-21-2010, 08:16 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,826,267 times
The guilt of our forefathers actions, is used against us everyday.

It will always be there and used often.

It is anything but fair & balanced.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,945,401 times
This article has already been posted. The only reason you care about this is because it's a white guy, and what's more, the entire article is based on speculation.

Sorry I can't join the pity party for this poor downtrodden white man; the teams can select whatever players they want, and skipping him isn't necessarily based on race, even if we ignore the fact that the vast majority of people in the NFL front offices are white, even though the majority of players black.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,945,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The guilt of our forefathers actions, is used against us everyday.

It will always be there and used often.

It is anything but fair & balanced.

This has nothing to do with white guilt. Spin that nonsense somewhere else. In fact, this story is almost predicated on a logic of guilting folks in the front offices to giving Gerhart another look.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 AM

217 posts, read 555,455 times
Not for nothing but white running backs really do suck in the nfl. Lets call a spade a spade. People on CD love to cut to the chase. In this case its true. I love football and Like this kid from Stanford but Id never draft him. This isnt news in the NFL. Just like in the NBA I wouldnt ever draft a white kid no matter how good he was in college. I think calling it racism is dumb because if you look at stats whites do suck as nfl RB's (mind you im white so no stupid racist comebacks).

Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 AM

3,770 posts, read 5,000,108 times

YouTube - Toby Gerhart Highlights 2009 the real Heisman

I hope the Eagles sign him. I don't care what color he is!

on the lighter side...

YouTube - RACIST BATMAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies