Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:47 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,246,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Most any job I have had has been pay for performance. If I don't do the job someone else will get the next assignment. No assignment, no raise, get lost.

If a parent likes a teacher it would behoove the parent and child to uphold their end of the learning process, to ensure the teacher is successful.

No teacher success, no raise, get lost. So, let 'em migrate.
Another agreement with someone I rarely agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I posed a few examples. How is that complaining about parents? All parents are not perfect. I think I'll believe my own experiences and those of the teachers in my family and the ones I've know for over 25 years over one person's opinion.

Wow, going over homework or helping a child figure out how to get an answer or find information is wrong. Nothing like knowing what's going on in your child's life. It's the parent's job to teach the child responsibility before they start school. And to continue that. The child is suppose to do the homework. That means it's at home. That's when the parent takes over and does their job. Once a child leaves school and is home, the teacher's responsibility ends. It's up to the parent to make sure their child does what their suppose to do.

That's why there needs to be communication between parents and teachers. A parent might catch something while observing their child doing the homework and going over it. I guess that's a bad thing. Who knew.

I love how people who have never had to deal with large class sizes, endless paperwork, parents who think they know it all, and all the crap that goes along with being a teacher think they know it all. Try it sometime and let me know if you can tell me exactly what is going on academically with every student in your class every day. Not to mention dealing with emotional issues and kids who may have serious problems. Teachers are not superhuman and seeing what they have to put up with and being continually dissed by people is unfair. It's a job I wouldn't recommend to anyone these days. A truly thankless job.

Maybe since they're all whiners, they all should just quit and the let parents figure out how to teach their own kids and help prepare them for their futures.
First of all, your sarcasm is not becoming.

You could do a search for "teachers+parents" or some such, and come up with numerous complaints about parents from teachers. How would you feel if your pediatrician did the same? I work in a pediatric office, and we do have to occasionally remind ourselves that parents just want what's best for their kids. There are few parents who want anything different. So if we get a nasty angry parent, we ventilate, and get over it. If a parent doesn't do what we recommend, we have learned to shrug it off.

In regards to homework, let me give you an example. "Ms. Smith" assigns 20 math problems as homework. Johnny does the hw, Mommy "checks" it, and finds he got 10 wrong. Mommy "helps" Johnny get those 10 right. Johnny has a test on this concept and flunks it, even though he got a 100% on the hw. Or try this, Johnny has an assignment to write about the Oregon Trail in 3rd grade social studies. (This was an actual assingment my daughter had in 3rd grade.) Mommy "checks" his assignment, and "helps" him revise it so that it reads like a PhD thesis. The paper comes back with a note "whose work is this"? (This happend to a friend of mine.) Johnny may not have learned much, but Mom learned a lot.

It's up to the parent to make sure their child does what their suppose to do You know, I'm not usually a grammar poicewoman, and I generally ignore typos, but this is a pretty bad sentence coming from a teacher.

It is the parents' job to make it possible for the child to do his/her homework, e.g. a place to do it, even if it's just the end of a table, time to do it, meaning not loading the kid up with an endless round of activities, or housework or babysitting younger sibs, etc., provide the supplies to do it, e.g. paper, pencils, special supplies at times. The parent may have to take the kid to the library for reasearch. It's the child's job to do the homework to the best of his/her ability, and it's the teacher's job to evaluate THE CHILD'S work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,656,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Another agreement with someone I rarely agree with.

First of all, your sarcasm is not becoming.

You could do a search for "teachers+parents" or some such, and come up with numerous complaints about parents from teachers. How would you feel if your pediatrician did the same? I work in a pediatric office, and we do have to occasionally remind ourselves that parents just want what's best for their kids. There are few parents who want anything different. So if we get a nasty angry parent, we ventilate, and get over it. If a parent doesn't do what we recommend, we have learned to shrug it off.

In regards to homework, let me give you an example. "Ms. Smith" assigns 20 math problems as homework. Johnny does the hw, Mommy "checks" it, and finds he got 10 wrong. Mommy "helps" Johnny get those 10 right. Johnny has a test on this concept and flunks it, even though he got a 100% on the hw. Or try this, Johnny has an assignment to write about the Oregon Trail in 3rd grade social studies. (This was an actual assingment my daughter had in 3rd grade.) Mommy "checks" his assignment, and "helps" him revise it so that it reads like a PhD thesis. The paper comes back with a note "whose work is this"? (This happend to a friend of mine.) Johnny may not have learned much, but Mom learned a lot.

It's up to the parent to make sure their child does what their suppose to do You know, I'm not usually a grammar poicewoman, and I generally ignore typos, but this is a pretty bad sentence coming from a teacher.

It is the parents' job to make it possible for the child to do his/her homework, e.g. a place to do it, even if it's just the end of a table, time to do it, meaning not loading the kid up with an endless round of activities, or housework or babysitting younger sibs, etc., provide the supplies to do it, e.g. paper, pencils, special supplies at times. The parent may have to take the kid to the library for reasearch. It's the child's job to do the homework to the best of his/her ability, and it's the teacher's job to evaluate THE CHILD'S work.
The sarcasm comes from my frustration that you think I am saying the parents should do the homework. They shouldn't. I don't know how to state that more clearly. In the bolded paragraph you are aboslutely correct. But I still say a parent should look over the child's work. If Johnny gets ten problems wrong, Johnny needs to go back and get it right himself. And if Johnny's still getting them wrong on tests, the teacher will see it.

Parents have been doing their children's homework and projects for years. Nothing new there. No, the child isn't learning if Mommy and Daddy do it. That's a no-brainer.

I wouldn't have a problem if the people in any doctor's office complained about parents or patients. That's their right. I am sure many people give them cause to complain.
I don't know too many people who don't complain about their jobs or the people they come in contact with.

And while I am sarcastic, I am not rude. I never said I was a teacher. I said I work after school care and am an aide in pre-school. This is a forum not a classroom. Sorry if I offended you with a grammar mistake. I will do my best to proofread in the future. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Proofreading is good. So is knowing good grammar and the proper use of words. And since this is just a forum where people exchange opinions and ideas and not a classroom, I won't point out yours. Because it really doesn't matter if we have errors or typos. It's the exchange of views that is important.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,246,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
The sarcasm comes from my frustration that you think I am saying the parents should do the homework. They shouldn't. I don't know how to state that more clearly. In the bolded paragraph you are aboslutely correct. But I still say a parent should look over the child's work. If Johnny gets ten problems wrong, Johnny needs to go back and get it right himself. And if Johnny's still getting them wrong on tests, the teacher will see it.

Parents have been doing their children's homework and projects for years. Nothing new there. No, the child isn't learning if Mommy and Daddy do it. That's a no-brainer.

I wouldn't have a problem if the people in any doctor's office complained about parents or patients. That's their right. I am sure many people give them cause to complain.
I don't know too many people who don't complain about their jobs or the people they come in contact with.

And while I am sarcastic, I am not rude. I never said I was a teacher. I said I work after school care and am an aide in pre-school. This is a forum not a classroom. Sorry if I offended you with a grammar mistake. I will do my best to proofread in the future. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Proofreading is good. So is knowing good grammar and the proper use of words. And since this is just a forum where people exchange opinions and ideas and not a classroom, I won't point out yours. Because it really doesn't matter if we have errors or typos. It's the exchange of views that is important.
Why is the parent supposed to assume the role of math teacher? Or paper-writer? Isn't that the teacher's job?

And cut the sarcasm. . . again.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:45 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,814,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can't pay the teacher based on the performance of the students..that is not fair.

Do you get paid based on the performance of your office mate ?
Do you get raises based on the performance of the guy down the hall from you ?

Who is to measure the performance of a teacher ? If they have unmotivated students there is not much a teacher can do to MAKE them perform.
May be off topic but most corporations today have annnual salary increase sclaes that use formulas with percentages of how the company did overall, how your division did, etc. How you do personally normally means very little when you receive the news. (Not talking about Sales Group).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies