Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,850,877 times

Advertisements

Beyond the particular circumstances of the event I would say that the following is key to the cancellation.

Z on TV: Fox News cancels Sean Hannity's Tea Party show - Sun critic David Zurawik writes about the business, culture and craziness of television - baltimoresun.com

FOX News never agreed to allow the Cincinnati Tea Party organizers to use Sean Hannity’s television program to profit from broadcasting his show from the event," Bill Shine, executive vice president of programming for Fox News, said in a statement emailed to the Sun Thursday. "When senior executives in New York were made aware of this, we changed our plans for tonight’s show.”

From what I've read, Hannity and his shows producers never informed upper management how involved they were going to be in the Tea Party. It doesn't surprise me at all that they would insist on approving any use of the Fox brand.

Fox show personalities have raised cross promotion to new levels. It doesn't surprise me at all that sometimes they cross the line on what the executives are willing to accept. I assme they allow it at all because the more popular and successful the personalities are the more people will watch the shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,588,634 times
Default Fox News yanks Sean Hannity from Cincinnati Tea Party rally he was set to star in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I think the problem as much as anything was that the teabaggers were charging admission to see Hannity. Therefore profiting from a Faux News employee..

Yeah, Fox is mostly upset because they weren't going to get a cut.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 AM

38,007 posts, read 22,187,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
And the reason...
The reason would be headlining Hannity and charging admission.

I'm sure Sean would have been against the idea, and would have removed himself from the event also, but no where in the story did they bother to interview Hannity and ask him about it.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM

1,089 posts, read 656,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
FOX isn't part of the Tea Party movement. If Hannity had his show there as a participant then FOX would be the news. Not covering it.

I'm sure Hannity is free to go to any event he wants and talk about it on the air. Like anyone else that works for a news organiztion. He just can't be the news.

FOX did the right thing.
FOX did do the correct thing, but there is a question of ethics in play.

Raising dough for the right is nothing new for Hannity | Media Matters for America

Quote:
It is nice to finely see Fox News reigning in Hannity's political money raising but it should be noted this is not the first time the conservative network's host has gone to bat raising dough for right-wing causes and campaigns.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 AM

470 posts, read 462,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have gone to 2 Coffee Party meetings, the first was about 30 people, where a lot of thoughts were exchanged. It was somewhat disjointed, in terms of establishing positions of common concern. The second, about 15, was much more focused on ideas that could be compiled and forwarded to Congress. Whether that actually happens or not, I certainly don't know. I went to one Tea Party, several months ago, and all I experienced was demonstration against our Govt, with a parade of speakers similarly inclined, a basically one way exchange. At that time, I did not see where they stood on any ideas to effect a change, only that they did not like what was happening. My feeling was, that the movement is basically non-productive and pointless. Simply a demonstration. My opinion of the TPers hasn't changed much, although recently they seem to have moved slightly away from the seedier aspects. If the TPers are able to stay away from that and propose concrete ideas, they may actually have some value. There are areas of common concern among TPer and CPers.
Don't you know that there is strength in numbers? What in the world do you expect to get accomplished with a group of 7 or 8? You really think that Congress is going to listen to a tiny group like that? Wow, just wow...

Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,000 times
The only reason they pulled him is because they were charging for seats to hear Hannity and giving the money to the Tea Party. If the seats were free Fox executives wouldn't have had a problem with him being there. He did his show from a city near me at a Tea Party rally a week or two ago with no issues with management. I'll believe Fox management is finally taking notice of what their stars are doing when they take Beck off the air.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 AM

1,089 posts, read 656,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Nope - DEAD WRONG again (as usual).

As already mentioned by another poster - news reporting is supposed to REPORT the news - not BE the news. That's one of the basic standards of journalistic ethics.

"Distinguish between advocacy and news reporting."

Society of Professional Journalists: Code of Ethics

FOX News has for a while now been treading the line between REPORTING on the movement and PROMOTING the movement - and from time to time stepping OVER that line - sometimes substantially (as was the case here). The very fact that FOX news executives pulled Hannity back to the studio is EVIDENCE that they realized that they CLEARLY crossed that line in this instance. So apparenty even THEY disagree with your assessment - so I would guess that before you accuse others of lack of comprehension you look more closely at YOURSELF in that regard.

If you really think that their assessment of the situation is wrong and yours is right then I suggest you take it up with FOX News management. Free market opportunity or no free market opportunity - broadcasters have a responsibility to abide by journalistic ethics. If they don't, they diminish their credabilty and reduce themselves to the level of publications such as the National Enquirer. YOU obviously don't realize that, but at least the FOX News executives (belatedly) realize that -at least to a degree.

Ken
That's exactly correct. Great post.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,351,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The only reason they pulled him is because they were charging for seats to hear Hannity and giving the money to the Tea Party. If the seats were free Fox executives wouldn't have had a problem with him being there. He did his show from a city near me at a Tea Party rally a week or two ago with no issues with management. I'll believe Fox management is finally taking notice of what their stars are doing when they take Beck off the air.

NewsCorp is only concerned about the bottom line. As long as it continues to benefit themselves, they are all for it. NewsCorp would have a channel catering to the left (since the networks have the middle ground well covered) if they felt they could profit from it.

Corporations control politicians. Corporations control people. Corporations always win.
That is america.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
From Rupert Murdoch:

Murdoch: 'I Don't Think We Should Be Supporting The Tea Party' (VIDEO) | TPM LiveWire

In light of this, they surely cannot have one of their 'correspondents' headlining a TEA event.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,787,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Fox is and has been simply capitalizing on the fact that none of the other networks are giving the movement any real coverage.

If you think that Fox has an "incestrious" [sic] relationship with the Tea Party movement, then blame CNN, MSNBC, et al. If they'd respected the movement enough to cover it properly and not belittle it, Fox wouldn't have had the opportunity to monopolize coverage of it.
I know you guys have a hard time understanding this, but it's not as big as you think.

I mean of the 10,000 people expected Wednesday in Boston, maybe, maybe 5000 people showed up, 50% of whom were there simply to see Sarah Palin, and probably didn't care otherwise. The Tea Party movement makes up less than 10% of the American population, that means 90% of the population simply doesn't care enough to be bothered by it.

It's just not newsworthy. The media gave the same attention to the Iraq war protests of several years ago.

The Tea Party is so far off the actual facts and issues, that to give any credence to these way outta main stream, way out in right field people isn't worth the air time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies