Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,992,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Issuing a Green Card doesn't let anyone in, it's merely changing the status of those already (legally) in.
No, while some are adjustment of status, most are immigrant applications from outside the USA and processed at a local American consulate. A green card is the identity document issued showing that you have Permanent Resident status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:47 PM

76,959 posts, read 48,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
No, while some are adjustment of status, most are immigrant applications from outside the USA and processed at a local American consulate. A green card is the identity document issued showing that you have Permanent Resident status.
Most live in US with their American citizen spouses under temporary visas, or work with their H1B in country while they wait for the green cards. We have a bunch of people working here under H1Bs and they are waiting for their green cards. And if you marry a US citizen, you need to wait for two years before they let you apply for the green card and you have to be in US.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,084,039 times
Quote:
Most are adjustment of status.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...pr_fr_2009.pdf

Old 04-13-2010, 01:48 PM

76,959 posts, read 48,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Well I can't remember the specifics so I simply assumed it was H1B, but all I know is that it was some guest worker type program inviting foreigners to come to the United States.
It was most likely some US corporation trying to hire call centre workers in India.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 PM

47,139 posts, read 26,349,292 times
Quote:
I know. I am one. Most (not all - apologies, I thought the numbers were considerably more lopsided) GCs are issued to people living legally in the US under some other immigration status.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,992,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You are right, that really surprises me, I didn't realize it was that high. I went through the "new arrival" process - 15 years - while others bypassed me by coming in illegally.

1,130,818 Total
463,042 New arrivals
667,776 Adjustment of status

Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM

17,522 posts, read 24,829,281 times
Quote:
Green card holders are not illegals. They applied (or their prospective employer has applied for them) and the gov't has approved. In most cases these are not adjustments of status but are foreigners applying from outside the county.

Employment-Based Visas
Employment-Based Visas
Exactly, the OP contends that Obama personally issued over a million Green Cards to people who are now in the work force depriving "Real Americans" of jobs.
My rebuttal was that the massive majority are not in the labor force. My mention of illegals was because they are the problem and it is not being properly addressed.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:41 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,897,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Most live in US with their American citizen spouses under temporary visas, or work with their H1B in country while they wait for the green cards. We have a bunch of people working here under H1Bs and they are waiting for their green cards. And if you marry a US citizen, you need to wait for two years before they let you apply for the green card and you have to be in US.
Lordy lordy - the misinformation here !!

No, you do not have to wait 2 years to get a green card - if you have been married less than 2 years then your first green card is conditional for 2 years...........and at least half of the GC issued in any year are for immediate family of US citizens.

I'm not even going to address the rest of this thread - do some research before you start mouthing off fgs

Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,208,131 times

sooo, Obama personally issued these cards?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,424,708 times
I'm fine with limiting jobs to immigrants but blaming the immigrants is foolish. Why don't you all get mad at the companies that hire them? It's the companies that want cheap labor. They beg the government to grant more visas. And why aren't you mad at Bush since he was doing this long before Obama.

Again, this is just another example of the Right Wing not thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies