Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Seems that was a bit of an exaggeration:

IRS Expansion | FactCheck.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Came from the CBO also....just full of "probably" and "could".

Old 04-01-2010, 01:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Maybe its because I do technical analyses for a living, but I can't resist saying that that is the worst technical analysis that I believe I have ever read. Do they employ college freshman at FactCheck.org?

I was throughly unconvinced by that write-up. Thoroughly.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
What? You mean the people who lied about death panels were lying about this, too?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Even one new brownshirt is a tragedy.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
This will drive more voters away from the Dems. People hate the IRS, the only place where you are quilty until proven innocent. Keep it up hussein obama.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
This will drive more voters away from the Dems. People hate the IRS, the only place where you are quilty until proven innocent. Keep it up hussein obama.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Maybe its because I do technical analyses for a living, but I can't resist saying that that is the worst technical analysis that I believe I have ever read. Do they employ college freshman at FactCheck.org?

I was throughly unconvinced by that write-up. Thoroughly.
I completely agree. Lets break down the response:

"This wildly inaccurate claim started as an inflated, partisan assertion that 16,500 new IRS employees might be required to administer the new law. That devolved quickly into a claim, made by some Republican lawmakers, that 16,500 IRS "agents" would be required.

No, it wasn't simply republican lawmakers who made the claim, it was the republicans that sit on the House ways and means committee, who have inside knowledge of the bills impact. More to follow.

Republican Rep. Ron Paul of Texas even claimed in a televised interview that all 16,500 would be carrying guns. None of those claims is true.

The IRS’ main job under the new law isn’t to enforce penalties.

Its MAIN job, no. Its main job is to collect taxes. None the less, it will be their job.

Its first task is to inform many small-business owners of a new tax credit that the new law grants them — starting this year — which will pay up to 35 percent of the employer’s contribution toward their workers’ health insurance.

Talk about sugar coating. And the IRS's MAIN job is to notify individuals of what their exemptions are before filing taxes? No, their job is to collect monies due to the government based on passed legislation. Exemptions, grants, credits, and the like are all an ends to the means of the main purpose.

And in 2014 the IRS will also be administering additional subsidies — in the form of refundable tax credits — to help millions of low- and middle-income individuals buy health insurance.

Yeah, paid for from all of the people above who they just penalized.

The law does make individuals subject to a tax, starting in 2014, if they fail to obtain health insurance coverage. But IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman testified before
a hearing of the House Ways and Means Committee March 25 that the IRS won’t be auditing individuals to certify that they have obtained health insurance.

Just as they don't ensure that you actually live in the house that you bought that you are claiming an exemption on. More beating around the bush and sugar coating.

He said insurance companies will issue forms certifying that individuals have coverage that meets the federal mandate, similar to a form that lenders use to verify the amount of interest someone has paid on their home mortgage. "We expect to get a simple form, that we won’t look behind, that says this person has acceptable health coverage," Shulman said. "So there’s not going to be any discussions about health coverage with an IRS employee."

Because right now, you have to have a discussion with an IRS agent to determine your tax? Filing your taxes has nothing to do with speaking to anybody about the tax or any part of the process, yet all of this has nothing to do with the fact that penalities will be collected by the IRS.

In any case, the bill signed into law (on page 131) specifically prohibits the IRS from using the liens and levies commonly used to collect money owed by delinquent taxpayers, and rules out any criminal penalties for individuals who refuse to pay the tax or those who don’t obtain coverage. That doesn’t leave a lot for IRS enforcers to do.

Excellent to know.

Terribly written piece trying to shoot down the claim.

Factcheck is getting more and more partisan as it trys to parade around as a bi-partisan source of information.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Let me get this straight - the IRS is going to use a 3rd Party (Insurance Companies) to send in information returns about whether you have health insurance and if you do not then you are subject to the IRS pursuing you for a tax.

Is this correct?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Let me get this straight - the IRS is going to use a 3rd Party (Insurance Companies) to send in information returns about whether you have health insurance and if you do not then you are subject to the IRS pursuing you for a tax.

Is this correct?
According to fact check, the IRS will contact you to make sure you know about your tax credits due you. They will contact businesses to let them know about tax credits.

Sounds like the IRS is going into the business of letting Americans know how much tax they DO NOT have to pay ?

What an about face for the IRS..don't you think ?

ROFL..the IRS has never called me to let me know of a credit that I might be able to take ? Why didn't Bush do that with his tax cuts years ago ?

As an aside, nice to know the IRS cannot enforce not paying the penalty and not providing that piece of paper. If they cannot enforce it via their normal IRS ways, then how will it be enforced ? Or..it won't ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies