Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:50 PM

313 posts, read 286,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I never quite understood what constitutes a "hate crime" and why the punishment for one is greater than a good ole friendly crime. What does that say to the victim of as non hate crime (whatever that means); basically that their pain and suffering isn't as worthy of the pain and suffering of a victim of a hate crime?
Because the brainwashed White lawmakers of this country think that burning a cross on a Black person's lawn or throwing a pig in a mosque is worthy of prison time rather than a 5 on 1 Black on White beating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:38 PM

296 posts, read 522,590 times
Hate crimes are premeditated and aren't preplanned murders automatically 1st degree? James Byrd's killers were sentenced to Death Row and Matthew Shepherd's killers were sentenced to life in prison without parole. Even if they weren't hate crimes and race/sexual orientation played no role, I can't see the murderers of Matthew and James getting a sentence less than LWOP when you consider that it was clearly premeditated and both cases involved a high degree of torture.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,049,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
Hate crimes are premeditated and aren't preplanned murders automatically 1st degree? James Byrd's killers were sentenced to Death Row and Matthew Shepherd's killers were sentenced to life in prison without parole. Even if they weren't hate crimes and race/sexual orientation played no role, I can't see the murderers of Matthew and James getting a sentence less than LWOP when you consider that it was clearly premeditated and both cases involved a high degree of torture.

I think you've hit the crux of the issue. There aren't discrepancies in justice, as punishment is decided by the judicial system, either by judge or jury. Premediation is the deciding factor, and hate crimes are not confined to race or sexual orientation. People are persecuted and bullied due to their religion, their gender, their age and even social class, as in the killing of homeless men and women. A good case will, as you note, result in either a sentence of death, life without parole or 25 to life, which means they'd be incarcerated until they're too old to act out violently at the least.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,392,660 times
The designatio of Hate crime is pureely a OC invention to push some more than others for the same crime by movtive that is policially based and used;IMO.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,667,735 times
Quote:
I never quite understood what constitutes a "hate crime" and why the punishment for one is greater than a good ole friendly crime. What does that say to the victim of as non hate crime (whatever that means); basically that their pain and suffering isn't as worthy of the pain and suffering of a victim of a hate crime?
This sounds like something Archie Bunker would say/think!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,439,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
If a stranger robs my house, it's highly unlikely that he did it out of "hate". Burglaries are generally crimes of opportunity.

If you drive over the speed limit, you've broken the law. Does it mean you hate the road? Or the drivers around you?
Duh. My examples only dealt with crimes against persons like assault or murder. I doubt there are any burglary or speeding crimes that are classified as hate crimes. Same goes for any crimes without a specific mens rea intending harm against a person or a specific person's property.
Burglary could actually easily be a component of a hate crime if it is inspired by hatred of a certain group, with intent to intimidate or otherwise inflict psychological harm, destroy property, vandalize, etc

Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 AM

78,860 posts, read 47,107,286 times
Quote:

I have never understood the "hate crime" angle? Isn't all violent acts fueled by hate and instant rage?
Is this the social justice warriors rage against the white guy, because they do not seem to affect all Americans, only violence against the protected classes/groups

Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 AM

12,341 posts, read 6,129,882 times
My friend is involved in a hate crime situation right now but it won't be prosecuted as such. He and his partner moved into a neighborhood 4 yrs ago. They gutted the house and it looks fabulous now - unfortunately his neighbors are not very accepting. His cars have been keyed. He's been left messages on his door and recently a neighbor hired 2 men in the neighborhood to take down a section of her stockade fence and cut down the portion of his vinyl fence that was installed 3 years ago. They cut the section that butted up to the woman's property by cutting it off at the bottom of the posts. They then put the 8 ft sections in their garage - where they sit today.

The police will not process this as a hate crime because there has been no verbal name calling or phone calls they can trace. While I understand their thoughts - I told him to call the State Attorney General for confirmation. They too told them that hate crimes are very hard to prosecute. He's definitely decided to sell and take a loss if need be just to remove himself from the situation.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 AM

22,632 posts, read 15,071,296 times
Hate crime laws are nothing more than enhanced penalties for terroristic acts that are directed at a minority or community as an additional threat.

Example: someone spray paints graffiti on a warehouse wall "Joe loves Jane." Not a hate crime. Someone spray paints graffiti on the front doors of a Jewish Synagogue "Kill All Jews - Heil Hitler!" ... that is a hate crime. Should the perps be apprehended in both cases, is anyone suggesting they both be given an identical fine?

Old 09-12-2016, 11:47 AM

45,563 posts, read 26,918,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Hate crime laws are nothing more than enhanced penalties for terroristic acts that are directed at a minority or community as an additional threat.

Example: someone spray paints graffiti on a warehouse wall "Joe loves Jane." Not a hate crime. Someone spray paints graffiti on the front doors of a Jewish Synagogue "Kill All Jews - Heil Hitler!" ... that is a hate crime. Should the perps be apprehended in both cases, is anyone suggesting they both be given an identical fine?
I am, the damage is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies