Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I did not read the article, but I know for a fact that government programs for children far outstrip programs for the elderly by about 4 - 1. The elderly built this country. They fought the wars that preserved our freedom; they are responsible for the infrastructure of our roads, our bridges, our freeways. The elderly have spent a fortune in taxes throughout their lives. They have worked for 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 years at jobs that feed the economy and supply the goods and services that we need to maintain our standard of living.

Tell me again what it is that children have done to deserve their chunk of government cash? Oh, yeah. They were born. Big Freakin' Deal.

I say cut out the Medicaid, the WIC, the Food Stamps, and Welfare for Moms, and save some money! LOL that would be a HUGE improvement!

20yrsinBranson
Yeah, good thing those 500,000 died fighting in WWII or we'd have had to pay for their elder years, too, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
REALLY? Did you just say this? Every person MATTERS to someone. Just because they don't personally "matter" to you, it doesn't mean that they don't matter to someone. Do some research.....grow a heart! Many people who DID grow up with their hands out are HUGE contributors to society and to the poor....because they KNOW what it feels like to be poor. You have to have walked in someone's shoes in order to feel their pain and want to make a difference, in order to NEED to make a difference!
Matters to society.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
From the article: the federal government spends $7 on the elderly for every $1 on children
That is not correct. They are referring to programs that are SPECIFICALLY for children such as Head Start Programs, etc. They are not talking about programs such as Food Stamps and Welfare that are targeted at "FAMILIES" and not exclusively children. Although, in almost ALL cases, you have to be a proven breeder to qualify for them.

Elderly people comprise a fraction of these programs. The ONLY program that is specifically targeted at seniors is Medicare. I can assure you that more food stamps, welfare, head start, benefits for surviving military children, WIC, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum, is paid for the upkeep of children than senior's receive in Medicare payments.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM

8,431 posts, read 7,445,047 times
Quote:
The ONLY program that is specifically targeted at seniors is Medicare.

20yrsinBranson
Guess that means that Social Security isn't "specifically targeted at seniors".

Seriously, do you get your information from a favorite propaganda site or do you just make it up as you go?

I can only assume that your yardstick for truth is whether or not a statement correlates to your presumptions and prejudices.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,126,281 times
Quote:
That is not correct. They are referring to programs that are SPECIFICALLY for children such as Head Start Programs, etc. They are not talking about programs such as Food Stamps and Welfare that are targeted at "FAMILIES" and not exclusively children. Although, in almost ALL cases, you have to be a proven breeder to qualify for them.

Elderly people comprise a fraction of these programs. The ONLY program that is specifically targeted at seniors is Medicare. I can assure you that more food stamps, welfare, head start, benefits for surviving military children, WIC, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum, is paid for the upkeep of children than senior's receive in Medicare payments.

20yrsinBranson
Please provide sources.

Here's a paper published by UPenn that would counter your assertations:

http://www.upenn.edu/ldi/issuebrief10_2.pdf

I'm willing to read well written scholarly articles and briefs that are politically "neutral" and are more about fact-finding than finger-pointing.

TIA

Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,737,312 times
Quote:
Matters to society.

20yrsinBranson
They DO matter to society....perhaps not to you, specifically, but they DO matter to society. Go look a child in the face...a little child, and tell them, "Sorry kid, your dad had a heart attack and can't work anymore. Your mom died of cancer when you were 2 years old. Too bad, so sad, you're simply going to have to starve....not my problem." You can't exclude one without excluding them all, regardless of the extinuating circumstance. Starve one, starve them all....how very heartless to starve and deprive a child. The reality is, for various reasons, there are poor people in this country..."But for the grace of God go I".... "That which you would do to others would be done unto you." Be careful what you say or you may find yourself a victim of your own making. Not wishing anything on you, but just saying....choose your words carefully, it very well could be you and/or yours someday.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Guess that means that Social Security isn't "specifically targeted at seniors".

Seriously, do you get your information from a favorite propaganda site or do you just make it up as you go?

I can only assume that your yardstick for truth is whether or not a statement correlates to your presumptions and prejudices.
I've spent the last 38 years of my life paying into my social security account. Although the government PAYS for the benefit checks is because it is inefficient. It was never INTENDED to be a charitable benefit provided by the government. Unlike welfare, food stamps WIC, etc.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
They DO matter to society....perhaps not to you, specifically, but they DO matter to society. Go look a child in the face...a little child, and tell them, "Sorry kid, your dad had a heart attack and can't work anymore. Your mom died of cancer when you were 2 years old. Too bad, so sad, you're simply going to have to starve....not my problem." You can't exclude one without excluding them all, regardless of the extinuating circumstance. Starve one, starve them all....how very heartless to starve and deprive a child. The reality is, for various reasons, there are poor people in this country..."But for the grace of God go I".... "That which you would do to others would be done unto you." Be careful what you say or you may find yourself a victim of your own making. Not wishing anything on you, but just saying....choose your words carefully, it very well could be you and/or yours someday.
These circumstances are what charity is designed for, and NO I do not have a problem with this kind of scenario. However, this is not the USUAL circumstances that you find when you look at welfare and foodstamp recipients. Usually, parents are sitting on their butts watching Oprah and singing the blues about how "haaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrddddddd" life is.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,727,204 times
Quote:
I've spent the last 38 years of my life paying into my social security account. Although the government PAYS for the benefit checks is because it is inefficient. It was never INTENDED to be a charitable benefit provided by the government. Unlike welfare, food stamps WIC, etc.

20yrsinBranson
With almost any E-4 or below in thee military, with a family, on Food Stamps I assume you would take that from the families of those serving in Afghanistan

Old 02-26-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
With almost any E-4 or below in thee military, with a family, on Food Stamps I assume you would take that from the families of those serving in Afghanistan
I've been in the military. I lived on my paycheck. SO can they.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies