Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,256,431 times

Advertisements

Bring back art and music for one thing. Have classes that utilize and teach the latest technology, but do not allow calculators used during a math test and teach penmanship, grammar and spelling sans the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,094 posts, read 5,464,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Oh my GOD! That is an insane amount of money for kindergarten tuition. One of my best friends sends her son to Science and Arts Academy Science & Arts Academy, gifted PS-8 education for Chicago, Chicago suburbs, Chicagoland (http://www.scienceandartsacademy.org/index.html - broken link)(private school for gifted kids) and I thought her tuition for 1st grade was outrageous at $16,000/year.

I really don't think that the education her son is receiving is all that superior to the one my daughter (also in 1st grade) is receiving at my local public school. I will say though, that my school district was ranked 9th in my state, so it's probably a little better than the average school in IL.

Yup for half day!! I was a shocked as you were when I was talking to the admin. And that was over 6 years ago, I can't imagine what it is now. We have very good public schools here but I wanted to try and give my sons the best education I could but there was no way I was paying that amount of money for only one kid.

90,295 posts, read 121,488,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Ok we were doing so good agreeing and you have to go and blow it. LOL

Ok I am going to give you a true example of what happen to my 6 year old then you tell me if you still think so.

Ok my 6 year old is in 1st grade he goes to school from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm that is 6 1/2 hours. Out of that 6 1/2 hours they spend less then 2 hours a day on reading, math, science and writing. The rest of the time is spent on social studies, art, music, gym, history. Only 2 hours out of a 6 1/2 hour day. I was shocked when I found out. I thought for sure it would have been much more on the main subjects. So I asked the teacher about it and I was told that the teachers have to spend a certain amount of time on each thing even if the childen want to say read more or even if she thinks they could use more time on say math. Now I think it is wondwerful to learn about the president, no really I do. but I would much rather have my 6 year old know how to spell president then know where he was born.

I agree many private schools are not worth the money.
Ok, I'll give you my take on this. Your kid is 6 years old, so I"m guessing what? Kindergarten/1st grade? There's plenty of time. I might not have felt that way when mine were in the early ele years, especially the first one, but it's true. Secondly, when they study social studies and history, they are reading, are they not? They are applyng what they learned in reading class. They need to read for comprehension, not just "see Spot run" type stuff. There is a correlation between math and music, and art has some mathematical elements in it, too. PE lets them let off a little steam, and it's what? 45 min or so, once or twice a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I would never expect my child to pay for their education. It's my duty to provide until they are 21 or on into grad school. They are going on the family full ride plan.
That is what my kids did too, though they got some scholarship money as well. I'm just sayin', don't spend it all on pvt K-12 schools, or there may not be enough for them to attend the U of their choice.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
15,000 a year is pretty much the standard rate for middle to high school in Houston, and most large cities. Lower school usually ranges the 8-12k range. It's all what you are looking for and feel is worth while for your own child. Some prefer the kinder learning enviroment private has in larger cities, and the better allocation of funds for education versus free lunches and ESL. (yeah, I'll get flamed for that.) Those that have never attended or used both public and private are usually the first to NAY SAY private schools.

Nope the the HS aged kids were paying over $30 grand a year and that did not include books or uniforms. When the admin told me it was $15,000 for kindergarten I told her that my kid better come out knowing calculus for that price.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I went to a religious private school and when I finally went to public school, I found that I was far ahead of my peers.

There are some specialized public schools that are pretty good too.

It depends on the school, but as with everything, the good schools are hard to get in to and the not so good are plentiful.
Was it a Catholic school. I have not heard anything negative about religious schools just Catholic ones. Not that it really matters I mean it is great that you were ahead and yes there are many good schools both private and public.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM

6,074 posts, read 6,095,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Was it a Catholic school. I have not heard anything negative about religious schools just Catholic ones. Not that it really matters I mean it is great that you were ahead and yes there are many good schools both private and public.
Guilty as charged.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,229,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
I had this talk with some people the other day about this and they say yes, it's a mess.

So what can we do to change the tide before kids look at school as a glorified daycare instead of a place of higher learning?

whose fault is it? the school system? the teachers? the parents? All?

education should not be a government function. it should be a private or community function. at the very most, it should be a state issue.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,448,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Make it profitable for parents to have academically successful children. Give mom and dad a tax credit for junior's academic excellence. Then, sit back and watch test scores soar....
ray, we are in total agreement, finally. Of course, we are both former teachers and that has something to do with our thinking. Anyway, let me brag on you for doing the job you did.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Guilty as charged.

LOL no guilt. I am sure that there are some good Catholic school.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:35 PM

37,218 posts, read 42,537,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
education should not be a government function. it should be a private or community function. at the very most, it should be a state issue.
I disagree. The government has an interest in it's citizens being educated. I think it can be done better than it's being done now however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies