Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:11 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,849,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
It has been this divided before our time but I don't recall any period during the last 50 years when it was this bad. It really is a sad thing to witness, the absence of any nuance in political debate, the labeling of people. I do it myself at times. The internet promotes this, as it is an anonymous medium where we can vent our personal frustrations via political rants at faceless readers who we'd never treat with such disrespect if we were with them face-to-face.

Likewise, the Balkanization of media has contributed a great deal to the way people receive and communicate information. We can cherry-pick our sources so that they cater to our preconceptions, thus reinforcing our views and further distancing us from one another as we isolate ourselves in echo chambers that exclude contrary opinions and evidence.
Pretty much.

You're also right when it comes to media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,849,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The left sees hussein obama's election as their opportunity to push with great force their left winger agenda and hussein obama is stealing as much of our tax dollars as fast as possible to funnel (spread the wealth) to as many of his cohorts as possible. They know they have one shot at it so they will do as much damage as they can, as fast as they can.

We have to hope we can undo some of the damage they cause because it is sure to get much uglier before this con man is out of office. He has already sold generations to come down the river.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:44 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,173,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Pretty much.

You're also right when it comes to media.
Yes and don't forget the sudden celebrity-like focus on politicians. Hollywood stars want to tell the American people how we should vote (as if they have any idea what it's like to live as an "average American"), People magazine features the Obamas as if they are Brad and Angelina, and now Scott Brown cannot be mentioned without a photo of his Cosmo shot or his daughter and her American Idol stint.

For once, I'd like to see a Statesman get elected and not a Politician. The two words get thrown around a lot but very few people in Washington and especially not those in the media seem to understand (or even care about) the difference. A politician belongs to a political party and is far more interested in the betterment of their party then that of the nation in whole. A statesman is a person who can put their party obligations aside and do what is in the best interest of the country.

Both parties are guilty of grandstanding, of doing back room deals for their friends and neither side is willing to give an inch. There is absolutely no compromise on either side...nearly every issue is a "I will fall on the sword for this". Even Health Care. There are a lot of hot button issues out there and rightfully there should be some debate. But surely there are some things that most of our elected officials can agree on and implement? Seems there isn't and so in return for wanting to do everything, they seem willing to do nothing.

And the American people yell "Throw them out!" about Congress but return time and again to the voting booth and give THEIR congressperson another term. Apparently, they mean "Throw everyone ELSE out...I like my guy!"

Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,634,494 times
It was more divided than this back in the 60's, when revolution was in the air.

We'll survive this...and prosper because of, or in spite of, it.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,794,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Yes and don't forget the sudden celebrity-like focus on politicians. Hollywood stars want to tell the American people how we should vote (as if they have any idea what it's like to live as an "average American"), People magazine features the Obamas as if they are Brad and Angelina, and now Scott Brown cannot be mentioned without a photo of his Cosmo shot or his daughter and her American Idol stint.
True. And Sarah Palin became a political star and Vice Presidential candidate based significantly on her looks. I think she's the best example of an empty political vessel - much more so than the Obamas or Scott Brown. John Edwards comes to mind, too.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 02-19-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,775,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The left sees hussein obama's election as their opportunity to push with great force their left winger agenda and hussein obama is stealing as much of our tax dollars as fast as possible to funnel (spread the wealth) to as many of his cohorts as possible. They know they have one shot at it so they will do as much damage as they can, as fast as they can.

We have to hope we can undo some of the damage they cause because it is sure to get much uglier before this con man is out of office. He has already sold generations to come down the river.
How sad to feel compelled to hijack every single thread with the same statement. I will continue to pray for your soul.

I'm not sure it's any more divided now than it's been since the 2000 with a brief respite after getting attacked.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by "sudden" celebrity-like focus on politicians? You probably are too young to remember the Kennedys, but talk about celebrity politicians!

And Hollywood? Sinatra and the Rat Pack pulled every string they could to get Kennedy in office - and to this day there are doubts as to the legitimacy of his election.

Nah. Humans are humans. Politicians are politicians. Famous artists are famous artists. For every Chuck Norris and Sylvester Stallone trying to use their platform of celebrity to influence votes, there's thousands of examples throughout history.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
True. And Sarah Palin became a political star and Vice Presidential candidate based significantly on her looks. I think she's the best example of an empty political vessel - much more so than the Obamas or Scott Brown.
Sorta like Ronald Reagan?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:

For once, I'd like to see a Statesman get elected and not a Politician. The two words get thrown around a lot but very few people in Washington and especially not those in the media seem to understand (or even care about) the difference. A politician belongs to a political party and is far more interested in the betterment of their party then that of the nation in whole. A statesman is a person who can put their party obligations aside and do what is in the best interest of the country.

Both parties are guilty of grandstanding, of doing back room deals for their friends and neither side is willing to give an inch. There is absolutely no compromise on either side...nearly every issue is a "I will fall on the sword for this". Even Health Care. There are a lot of hot button issues out there and rightfully there should be some debate. But surely there are some things that most of our elected officials can agree on and implement? Seems there isn't and so in return for wanting to do everything, they seem willing to do nothing.

And the American people yell "Throw them out!" about Congress but return time and again to the voting booth and give THEIR congressperson another term. Apparently, they mean "Throw everyone ELSE out...I like my guy!"

So what else is new? It's been like that since the Republic was created.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So what else is new? It's been like that since the Republic was created.
I do often wonder how many people making grand statements about the absurdity of politics today have ever cracked a history book.

All throughout history has been the same with politics. Even the revered founders of this nation alone were at each others' throats constantly. Deep resentments and hatreds festered over how to construct this new nation and finally boiled over almost a century later in war.

Imagine if senators still had 10 pace duels and killed each other over political disputes. Talk about a cable news ratings getter! We're doing fine. I agree that it was far more divided in the 60s. People just have short-term memories. Can't blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies