Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,922,165 times

Advertisements

Public funds only. Equal share. If people decisions are based on the ads they see, then at least the information would be based on ad content, not quantity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,360,618 times
Headline is misleading because one of those 5 who voted for this is normally voting with the lefties.

We cannot allow the train wreck in Washington to stop our free speech.

He is already trying to take away many other freedoms.

* So the DEMS were trying to take away our freedom of speech then?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Unions are HUGE money. They run the show in many arena, would have gotten breaks in Obamacare and are one of the major problems with public education (Teacher's Unions). It's not all Rich Republicans that will be buying politicians,and it won't be the first time Unions do..It's just now, it's legal.
If you think unions have any where near the funding capability of Corporations, you are extremely lost.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,487,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Can you be bought?

Of course not; neither can I, so what makes you think your neighbor can? Are you smarter and more aware than him? Upon what do you base such an idea?
Of course I can. Everyone is susceptible to media influence. Your opinions are based on information you have. If the information is twisted (or not granted) then that twists your opinion as well. Otherwise people wouldn't be talking about media narrative when candidates are running or "liberal bias" in media.

It's nice to believe we're all independent thinkers, but you're ignoring the effect propaganda has on a population.

Quote:
What about non-profit corporations, such as the NRA or VFW or Chamber of Commerce? Should they be excluded from the democratic process too?
Yes, they should be prevented from funding political campaigns. The individuals within those groups can do whatever they want though.

Quote:
I'll agree with that, on the surface, but do you really mean ALL candidates? Never forget that there a huge number of candidates for any office. You just don't normally see their names on the ballot. There are hundreds of different parties, some as extreme as white supremacist groups and anti-Semitic organizations. Should they get funding too? What about Mickey Mouse, who is regularly offered up as a candidate for elective office? Or Elvis?

This isn't a silly question because it strikes to the heart of public funding: Who gets the money and who determines that?
I see nothing wrong with people with bizarre viewpoints that are running for office receiving public funding. It seems you want restrictions on free speech based on this part of your post.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,378,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Now there's a shock, Liberals ignoring the fact that Unions benefit from this also.
What about churches?

Are they unions of God, or what?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,090,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Public funds only. Equal share. If people decisions are based on the ads they see, then at least the information would be based on ad content, not quantity.
I could agree with this. Also, limit campaigning to 3 MONTHS before the elections, instead of the 2 years it is right now.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I could agree with this. Also, limit campaigning to 3 MONTHS before the elections, instead of the 2 years it is right now.
That is a very good idea. It fits right in with the average attention span.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,378,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What about churches?

Are they unions of God, or what?
Is a church a person under the 14th Amendment?

Well, I think so!

Haven't you ever seen the Corporate body of Sarah Palin?

14th Amendment privilege exercising it's 2nd Amendment rights?

Palin Bikini Picture with Gun - Sarah Palin Bikini Photo - About.com

Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,384,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
What really happened was the Supreme Court protected free speech. Don't forget this ruling applies to unions too.
LOL Cmon I'm a Republican and even I know that's b.s. This was simply a green light for corporations to essentially indirectly lobby causes they support. It has nothing to do with free speech. Now companies can negotiate with politicians and claim they will run an "independent" ad that features their free speech if they agree to vote for causes they support.

I truly find this funny. The gaul of Republicans can be overwhelming at times. Free Speech...my a$#

BUT..you have a good point about the Unions. They are a racket just like the big corporations and function in the same way.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,835,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
OHHH SILLY it's not 2 years, it's 365 days a year 24/7 campaigning when media conglomerates are permitted to dictate candidates, and dictate to all politcal parties. The smear campaigns disparaging McCain 2000 were not forgotten in 2008, and you cannot convince anyone that indoctrinated liberals 'did it to you'.

The mixture of these extreme concentrations is dangerous to everyones individual liberty.

Neoconservatives seeing this as a win... turnabout will be fair play when extreme concentrations of your opponent override all voices in the political process. You may declare yourselves victors winning a myopic battle, but as per usual, at the expense of every citizen, at the expense of America itself. Being in service to an ideology to the detriment of the core principles of the constitution... how's that working out for you?

Last edited by harborlady; 01-21-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies