Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times

Advertisements

The proposal to put the science-lab cuts on the table was approved recently by Berkeley High's School Governance Council, a body of teachers, parents, and students who oversee a plan to change the structure of the high school to address Berkeley's dismal racial achievement gap, where white students are doing far better than the state average while black and Latino students are doing worse.

Berkeley High May Cut Out Science Labs | News | East Bay Express
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
I love these "Progressive", PC gems from the article:

"Paul Gibson, an alternate parent representative on the School Governance Council, said that information presented at council meetings suggests that the science labs were largely classes for white students"...

"The full plan to close the racial achievement gap by altering the structure of the high school is known as the High School Redesign...."

"High School Redesign" does have a nice Progressive ring to it .

Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
WTF is this all about?

So what if the white students are doing better?

Old 12-27-2009, 10:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
WTF is this all about?

So what if the white students are doing better?
Can't have that in the school system. That's not fair.
NCLB is all about leaving NO child behind. Get rid of whatever is making some students do better than others so that all can be the same.

It's simply lowering the standards rather than raising the bar.
Sad state of education today.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
That's really unfortunate. It's taboo to say but there are meaningful IQ differences among racial groups that are inbred. They are about to harm their brightest students. Of course you make strong efforts to teach every student regardless of skill level but don't make elimating the racial gap the goal.

One of the few issues where liberals throw reason and facts out the window.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can't have that in the school system. That's not fair.
NCLB is all about leaving NO child behind. Get rid of whatever is making some students do better than others so that all can be the same.

It's simply lowering the standards rather than raising the bar.
Sad state of education today.
I agree.

Wtf is this mess?

Old 12-27-2009, 11:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree.

Wtf is this mess?
This mess is our future generation. The lowest common denominator becomes the highest bar.

Don't wonder why people pull their kids out of public school in favor of private. I watched my own son just finish HS. I'm the one that had him reading books (classics) not the school. I'm the one that had him do all the math problems at the end of the chapter, not the school. I'm the one that taught him to pick out countries on a globe and states on a map, not the school.

The article posted by the OP is not a single occurrence. Stuff like this is happening all over the US in public schools. I don't know what's happening or why. I can only assume it's being done to qualify for Federal Funds as that is on a per child basis if they pass.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Well they do have every right to do it since schools are locally controlled. Maybe the Feds had better step in here.

By the way, those are before and after-school Science labs they're talking about cutting. Do your kids use those a lot?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 12-27-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This mess is our future generation. The lowest common denominator becomes the highest bar.

Don't wonder why people pull their kids out of public school in favor of private. I watched my own son just finish HS. I'm the one that had him reading books (classics) not the school. I'm the one that had him do all the math problems at the end of the chapter, not the school. I'm the one that taught him to pick out countries on a globe and states on a map, not the school.

The article posted by the OP is not a single occurrence. Stuff like this is happening all over the US in public schools. I don't know what's happening or why. I can only assume it's being done to qualify for Federal Funds as that is on a per child basis if they pass.
I so agree. I am SO SURPRISED how people at my age (21) don't know the difference between

1) Your, you're
2) here, hear
3) our, or
4) their, there, they're

People on this forum don't even know sometimes. It is all this text messaging crap that got them like this too. I am so sad to see what is going on with the education system here. This is why I am going for teaching. I want to be a teacher that can hopefully inspire. I don't plan on going easy on them and I will NEVER give a passing grade just to pass them.

I may be a liberal but EQUALITY is my main thing. If the white kid puts in more effort, then more power to him! If the Chinese kid does, more power to him! Why does race matter? I am proud of the student no matter what their color is!

I am glad I am one of the smarter ones.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well they do have every right to do it since schools are locally controlled....
Which is the way it should be. It helps keep the nutty, social engineering ideas contained in someone else's district, at a smaller level.

I can't even imagine my son's school doing something that.

It will make his competing against Berkeley's flower children in the workplace a piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies