Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,574,110 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mr. Opinion;12065407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Maybe you should.

Allowing people to steal from the government is your cup of tea! Maybe that explains why Section 8 runs rampant in the Ghetto. Perhaps you should buy a house next door to a trashy tenant.

This is a false statement. Section 8 is NOT segregated to the "ghetto" as you put it. EVERY town has a housing authority (HUD) program that provides section 8. It is NOT segregated to Blacks, the maxed out income level for section 8 (at least 3 years ago) was $45K. Its easy to use Blacks as an excuse the reason for government programs, but a little research is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,263,310 times
[quote=blackandproud;12065950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post

If their income is $2500 per month and only paying $60 for rent, then someone is fudging paperwork or their HUD department are not doing their job. There's absolutely NO WAY thats all they should be paying for rent. I know someone on section 8 who makes $30K per year and pays $500 per month in rent.
That assumes that the OP is correct about the rent total, which I don't for a second believe is credible considering the other misnomers in their post. The only issue that I was address was the amount of their total income eligibility. And, I would further point out that since the OP failed to mention the total rent being charged I would suggest that we really don't have a basis for comparison.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,692,708 times
[quote=blackandproud;12066013]
Quote:

This is a false statement. Section 8 is NOT segregated to the "ghetto" as you put it. EVERY town has a housing authority (HUD) program that provides section 8. It is NOT segregated to Blacks, the maxed out income level for section 8 (at least 3 years ago) was $45K. Its easy to use Blacks as an excuse the reason for government programs, but a little research is needed.

This statement can definitely be considered true (that it's a false statement) where I live. We have section 8 all over the place here and the population of this county I would say is 90% caucasion (I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly), 8% latino, and 2% african american. I know one kid whose mother pays her own rent, and the rest of other 2% live in the upper class retirement community.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:

You are being far to charitable. The Philadelphia Housing Authority was a former client of mine and we help with developing content for their marketing materials. In the course of that project we had to photograph every housing development, mixed use development, as well as a number of Section 8 homes. As you point out, the section 8 houses were scattered out throughout the city some that were in some very nice middle class neighborhoods. As you point out, the mix of family income and family size doesn't require a resident to be destitute.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 AM

3,770 posts, read 5,012,080 times
Quote:

Not once did I mentioned anything about race. Never assume!! I know section 8 is not only in the ghetto. In the Suburbs you have better landlords.

Section 8 should be cut. Thats my opinion about it. Pojects and Section 8 breeds crime in every urban city in America. Nobody wants to pay for full rent or leave projects. They would rather stay in comfort and buy Rims, Flat screens and getting their hair done.

I was raised to work hard for everything I have. Giving alot of these people a reason to live on handouts is a big mistake.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 AM

[quote=Mr. Opinion;12066315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post

Not once did I mentioned anything about race. Never assume!! I know section 8 is not only in the ghetto. In the Suburbs you have better landlords.

Section 8 should be cut. Thats my opinion about it. Pojects and Section 8 breeds crime in every urban city in America. Nobody wants to pay for full rent or leave projects. They would rather stay in comfort and buy Rims, Flat screens and getting their hair done.

I was raised to work hard for everything I have. Giving alot of these people a reason to live on handouts is a big mistake.

I NEVER stated that YOU personally in my post so NO I did not assume. But you do need to do a little more research instead of making blanket statements that are not true.
Not everyone is eligible or can receive Section 8. If a person have a criminal record be it minor or major, they are excluded from receiving section 8. The recipients of Section 8 do not receive a free ride. Their rent is a percentage of their income. Also, in the "ghetto" as you stated, the slumlords (landlords) property is not automatically eligible for section 8 either.

and NO in the suburbs, you do not always have better landlords.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Not once did I mentioned anything about race. Never assume!! I know section 8 is not only in the ghetto.

Good for you!

Quote:
In the Suburbs you have better landlords.
Is there a point to that sentence?
Section 8 should be cut.[/quote]

Perhaps if you articulated an cogent argument regarding you objections we might have something to discuss.

Quote:
Pojects and Section 8 breeds crime in every urban city in America.
Do you have any empirical evidence to back up your assertion?

Has Public Housing Gotten a Bum Rap?

The Incidence of Crime in St. Louis Public Housing Developments
John E. Farley
Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville.

Data were obtained from police on the incidence of crime in multiblock areas containing ten public housing developments in the city of St. Louis. The data covered eight FBI index crimes, and were obtained for seven years, 1971 through 1977. Crime rates per 100,000 population were computed. Seven of the public housing developments were large (over 500 units). There was a mix of lowrise and highrise developments, and conventionally and tenant-managed developments. The data indicate that the crime rates per 1000,000 population in and near the public housing developments are not significantly higher than in the city as a whole, nor are they higher than would be expected based on citywide relationships of crime to demographic and locational predictors. While there is more variation in the incidence of crimes in smaller developments than in larger ones, there is no evidence to support the belief that crime rates are, overall, higher than average in either type of development. It is also not possible from these data to identify any relationship between tenant management and crime rates, though other research has indicated that tenants feel safer in tenant-managed projects.

Quote:
Nobody wants to pay for full rent or leave projects. They would rather stay in comfort and buy Rims, Flat screens and getting their hair done.
Funny that hasn't been the experience of the Philadelphia Housing Authority which has been rather successful in transitioning clients into home ownership. But it was a nice sweeping non-supported generalization, I particularly liked the reference to rims and hair especially since you of course would never mention anything about race.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM

[quote=blackandproud;12066462]
Quote:

I NEVER stated that YOU personally in my post so NO I did not assume. But you do need to do a little more research instead of making blanket statements that are not true.
Not everyone is eligible or can receive Section 8. If a person have a criminal record be it minor or major, they are excluded from receiving section 8. The recipients of Section 8 do not receive a free ride. Their rent is a percentage of their income. Also, in the "ghetto" as you stated, the slumlords (landlords) property is not automatically eligible for section 8 either.

and NO in the suburbs, you do not always have better landlords.
Be EZ!

I apologize. No need to fret!

As far as research. I lived around Projects and people on section 8 my whole life. I do not need research. I lived it!!

Were I live in the Suburbs I do not see people on the corner, trash, broken bottles, needles, crack bags, grafitti near any section 8 single home.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Section 8 should be cut.
Perhaps if you articulated an cogent argument regarding you objections we might have something to discuss.

Do you have any empirical evidence to back up your assertion?

Has Public Housing Gotten a Bum Rap?

The Incidence of Crime in St. Louis Public Housing Developments
John E. Farley
Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville.

Data were obtained from police on the incidence of crime in multiblock areas containing ten public housing developments in the city of St. Louis. The data covered eight FBI index crimes, and were obtained for seven years, 1971 through 1977. Crime rates per 100,000 population were computed. Seven of the public housing developments were large (over 500 units). There was a mix of lowrise and highrise developments, and conventionally and tenant-managed developments. The data indicate that the crime rates per 1000,000 population in and near the public housing developments are not significantly higher than in the city as a whole, nor are they higher than would be expected based on citywide relationships of crime to demographic and locational predictors. While there is more variation in the incidence of crimes in smaller developments than in larger ones, there is no evidence to support the belief that crime rates are, overall, higher than average in either type of development. It is also not possible from these data to identify any relationship between tenant management and crime rates, though other research has indicated that tenants feel safer in tenant-managed projects.

Funny that hasn't been the experience of the Philadelphia Housing Authority which has been rather successful in transitioning clients into home ownership. But it was a nice sweeping non-supported generalization, I particularly liked the reference to rims and hair especially since you of course would never mention anything about race. [/quote]

Every project I've been to have Street Pharmacist. No need for a persription just an addiction.

I'm speaking the truth!!

Last edited by Mr. Opinion; 12-17-2009 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM

[quote=Mr. Opinion;12066544]
Quote:

Be EZ!

I apologize. No need to fret!

As far as research. I lived around Projects and people on section 8 my whole life. I do not need research. I lived it!!

Were I live in the Suburbs I do not see people on the corner, trash, broken bottles, needles, crack bags, grafitti near any section 8 single home.

Understood, but section 8 is completely different than the public housing just want to make sure you realize that.

The public housing is owned by the city, the funds for the section 8 vouchers comes from the state to the city which is why there's always a long waiting list and the rules a little more stricter. Not sure what state in you live in, but I NEVER see needles, crack bags, grafittie near any section 8 single family homes in URBAN area's of NJ. Grant it there are some area's that even I won't venture in, but either way, you will not find crack viles, needles and crack bags around. You will find broken bottles in any city, no matter if its urban or the suburbs its called litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies