Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:00 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,696,387 times

Advertisements

You know, where freedom of speech is threatened, where a single political ideology is put on a pedestal and anything contrary is ridiculed.

We have seen this before in history. We have seen what happens when the opposing viewpoint is shunned, and the people jump in droves onto the bandwagon. Its quite scary.

Look at this forum alone. Look at the number of people and subjects dedicated to criticizing the single news outlet which offers an opposing viewpoint. Fox news is continually ridiculed. There errors are held under a magnifying glass as a reason to oppose the entire conservative view point.

Even our president wishes to exclude them from press conferences. The White House administration wishes to demonize their point of view as a whole and drum up public discontent for the station.

THe left have continually put forward the "fairness doctrine". Nothing more than an effort to supress opposing viewpoints and legally shut down the concept of freedom of speech.

We have all seen this before. Anybody remember when and where?

Scary how many people on this forum are willing to take us down that road simply because they think their own personal opinions are right and everybody else who disagrees is wrong.

Pretty sad really that we have come down this road. I remember all of the hatred for Bush and the spewing of non-sense and propoganda from MSNBC, Air America, and CNN when BUsh was president.

Not once did I see a single conservative call for the elimination of those news services. Not once did I see the white house deny CNN access to press conference. There was not nearly as many posts about liberal news outlets as we see here now regarding Fox, Beck, O'reilly, Limbaugh, or even somebody that isn't even a player... Palin.

Wake up America. These people are trying to take us down that road, and its becoming apparent that they will stop at nothing in their effort to push their politcal agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:06 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,769,475 times
I wouldn't worry too much. You're right that it was very oppressive for several years in there for anyone who didn't agree with the radical administration, but we, the people, emerged from that dark period, took back control of our government, and elected a president who listens to and represents the people well.

God bless America. We always find a way to recover from our mistakes.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:13 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,696,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. You're right that it was very oppressive for several years in there for anyone who didn't agree with the radical administration, but we, the people, emerged from that dark period, took back control of our government, and elected a president who listens to and represents the people well.

"Forty-eight percent of Americans questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. national survey released Friday said they approve of the job Obama is doing as president -- a drop of 7 percentage points from a survey last month."

Obama approval rating below 50 percent - CNN.com

Nice to see you speaking for the country as a whole.

Sadly though, the majority of people don't agree with you.

Its ok though, its more of those tricky "facts" always getting in the way of your movement. Bummer.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 AM

23,797 posts, read 24,259,503 times
Quote:

I think you're the person the OP was talking about...

Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,333,924 times
Quote:

The latest from oppositeville

If you don't think the Obama administration and it's cadre of czars with abhorrent ideologies are the radicals, you might just be one yourself.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:23 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,884,225 times
You are right.

When we lose our freedom of press we are in deep trouble.

Those on the left dont care about freedom they care about control. Progressives dont tell you this progress they want is for you to give up some of your freedom and replace it with gov in your life

Old 12-12-2009, 07:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,877,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
You know, where freedom of speech is threatened, where a single political ideology is put on a pedestal and anything contrary is ridiculed.

We have seen this before in history. We have seen what happens when the opposing viewpoint is shunned, and the people jump in droves onto the bandwagon. Its quite scary.

Look at this forum alone. Look at the number of people and subjects dedicated to criticizing the single news outlet which offers an opposing viewpoint. Fox news is continually ridiculed. There errors are held under a magnifying glass as a reason to oppose the entire conservative view point.

Even our president wishes to exclude them from press conferences. The White House administration wishes to demonize their point of view as a whole and drum up public discontent for the station.

THe left have continually put forward the "fairness doctrine". Nothing more than an effort to supress opposing viewpoints and legally shut down the concept of freedom of speech.

Scary how many people on this forum are willing to take us down that road simply because they think their own personal opinions are right and everybody else who disagrees is wrong.

Pretty sad really that we have come down this road. I remember all of the hatred for Bush and the spewing of non-sense and propoganda from MSNBC, Air America, and CNN when BUsh was president.

Not once did I see a single conservative call for the elimination of those news services. Not once did I see the white house deny CNN access to press conference. There was not nearly as many posts about liberal news outlets as we see here now regarding Fox, Beck, O'reilly, Limbaugh, or even somebody that isn't even a player... Palin.

Wake up America. These people are trying to take us down that road, and its becoming apparent that they will stop at nothing in their effort to push their politcal agenda.
I do not come down on Faux News for the fact they are biased. The reason people don't like them is that they claim to be "fair and balanced" and they are anything but fair or balanced. I don't want them eliminated. I would just like them to say "we are your conservative news voice" and be truthful about what they really are. And I would say the same for MSNBC on the left side.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I do not come down on Faux News for the fact they are biased. The reason people don't like them is that they claim to be "fair and balanced" and they are anything but fair or balanced. I don't want them eliminated. I would just like them to say "we are your conservative news voice" and be truthful about what they really are. And I would say the same for MSNBC on the left side.
Glad to see that someone from the left agrees that we don't need a "Fairness Doctrine" of any sort.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,481,487 times
Talking So verbose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post

Reader's Digest version:

The right wing lost an election. Prepare for the end times!

Better clean out the Y2K bunker and stock up on peanut butter.

Home school the kids!

http://www.leggettphoto.com/pg3/images/survivalists.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,956,241 times
Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly. I am just not sure how long it will take to recover from the current mistake we made. I think it may take much longer that the past mistakes.

blowoutcongress.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies