Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Well at least the people of the countries that are prepared and willing to do something, outnumber the idiots and small thinking deniers such as the ones that post here. If we clean up the envoronment and are breathing cleaner air, that within itself will be a step in the right direction. The USA is shamefully lagging behind where it should be in leading the cause. Not surprising when you realize how many really stupid people just don't get it.
We'll end up like Japan.

Committed to lowering emissions 6% by 2012.
As of 2009 they are up 8% and furiously buying up carbon credits from third world nations that have surpluses so they can meet their cap this year.

Way to clean up the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We'll end up like Japan.

Committed to lowering emissions 6% by 2012.
As of 2009 they are up 8% and furiously buying up carbon credits from third world nations that have surpluses so they can meet their cap this year.

Way to clean up the planet.
I'm looking at this from a different standpoint. The very fact that it is front and center and being discussed, debated and negotiated is excellent. Why would anyone want the rate of emissions to continue at the level that it has and is negatively affecting everything? It is almost Neanderthal thinking, to even entertain the thought to not do anything about it.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'm looking at this from a different standpoint. The very fact that it is front and center and being discussed, debated and negotiated is excellent. Why would anyone want the rate of emissions to continue at the level that it has and is negatively affecting everything? It is almost Neanderthal thinking, to even entertain the thought to not do anything about it.
But that's just it..they are not doing anything about the actual emissions.
Sure...put down on paper what you will do, but hey, we got this back door called carbon credits that will make it alright if you don't cut back.

Too many people have too much money invested in creating a flourishing industry out of this rather than actually lowering emissions. I hope some will be lowered but I have doubts. What would happen to the carbon credit market if all countries actually followed through on their promises ?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Seize the Moment on Climate Change (http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/story/1369218.html - broken link)

And for those who believe that climate change is in part the result of hysteria by this country's main stream media, the editorial appeared today in 56 newspapers in 45 countries. The link above is to the editorial as it appears in the Miami Herald, apparently the only newspaper in the U.S. to carry it.
Concensus does not equal fact in science.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that's just it..they are not doing anything about the actual emissions.
Sure...put down on paper what you will do, but hey, we got this back door called carbon credits that will make it alright if you don't cut back.

Too many people have too much money invested in creating a flourishing industry out of this rather than actually lowering emissions. I hope some will be lowered but I have doubts. What would happen to the carbon credit market if all countries actually followed through on their promises ?
Sort of like "Cheat credits" with one's wife. As long as I hand over money to my wife my cheating is blessed and sanctioned. Withhold the money and cheating becomes evil, sinful something that should not be tolerated. Either way unfaithfulness abounds, in this case C02.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Concensus does not equal fact in science.
But consensus makes anything "into a fact".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies