Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,587,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Regardless of the content of the e-mails, isn't hacking still a crime? Is it okay for hackers to go on a fishing trip in any companies, government office, or private person's computer? How do you even get a conviction with "evidence" gathered in an illegal matter like hacking? If they can hack, they can also change the data in the e-mails before spreading their booty all over the place.

Hacking is not the same as an insider whistle blower who is suppose to be protected by law and who is suppose to take their information to authorities rather than make it available to the court of public opinion. Barbara Boxer is right.
First, prove that it was hacking and not whistle blowing.

Second, explain why you think committing fraud is not a crime while exposing it is.

Third, how could they take their information to the authorities when it is the authorities who are committing the fraud?

Can you say "logical disconnect"?

Last edited by Arjay51; 12-04-2009 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Why can't they do both at the same time? Investigate the hackers and investigate the content of the e-mails at the same time? The latter is already being done. It's a matter of principle, either hacking is illegal or it's not. If a hacker obtained records from the computer of a child predator but authorities can't get a conviction because of the way those records were gathered, you'd think differently about giving hackers a free ride.
Why can't she make a commitment to do both? Babs "Call Me Senator" is just behaving in her normal biased fashion.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Ya, I do. I guess I'm not as cynical as you are. I still believe that some people care about the laws if this country.
True, but they are not in government.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,351,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
First, prove that it was hacking and not whistle blowing.

Second, explain why you committing fraud is not a crime while exposing it is.

Third, how could they take their information to the authorities when it is the authorities who are committing the fraud?

Can you say "logical disconnect"?
ONE: It's all over the internet that the computers were hacked. If you're so willing to believe the content of the e-mails on face value because they're all over the internet then what is wrong with accepting their source as hackers on face value?

TWO: I have never, ever said that committing fraud was not a crime. I haven't got an opinion one way or another on the content of the e-mails because I'd rather wait until there is a formal investigation into the matter. The court of public opinion has been wrong as often as its been right.

THREE: The authorities were the ones committing the alleged fraud? Does that include the Attorney General, the FBI and all the agencies in between?

FOUR: Can you say 'disrespectful'? My opinion and logic is no less valid as yours.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,305,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInVegas View Post
Boxer, Pelosi and Feinstein were all nominated because their rich hubbies were huge Dem fundraisers. They were elected in "the year of the woman" when the whole country went PC crazy. Airheads all.
yet they KEEP winning...

Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 AM

[quote=Wayland Woman;11888180]
Quote:
ONE: It's all over the internet that the computers were hacked. If you're so willing to believe the content of the e-mails on face value because they're all over the internet then what is wrong with accepting their source as hackers on face value?
And you of course believe everything on the internet, especially when it supports only one point of view.

Quote:
TWO: I have never, ever said that committing fraud was not a crime. I haven't got an opinion one way or another on the content of the e-mails because I'd rather wait until there is a formal investigation into the matter. The court of public opinion has been wrong as often as its been right.
True, you did not say committing fraud was not a crime. You stated that you thought those exposing the crime should be prosecuted instead of those committing the crime. In fact, if Babs has her way there will be no investigation of the crime.

Quote:
THREE: The authorities were the ones committing the alleged fraud? Does that include the Attorney General, the FBI and all the agencies in between?
As a part of the government who is pushing these falsehoods, yes.

Quote:
FOUR: Can you say 'disrespectful'? My opinion and logic is no less valid as yours.
If you were using logic this statement might be true. As it is, you are merely excusing bad behavior and going with the government spin.

I have no problem with your opinion. I just disagree.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM

53,544 posts, read 35,263,441 times
i have yet to see any evidence at all that a hacker was responsible.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:43 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,374,607 times
Quote:
Regardless of the content of the e-mails, isn't hacking still a crime? Is it okay for hackers to go on a fishing trip in any companies, government office, or private person's computer? How do you even get a conviction with "evidence" gathered in an illegal matter like hacking? If they can hack, they can also change the data in the e-mails before spreading their booty all over the place.

Hacking is not the same as an insider whistle blower who is suppose to be protected by law and who is suppose to take their information to authorities rather than make it available to the court of public opinion. Barbara Boxer is right.
Yeah - It's illegal to break in to a known chop-shop garage to steal your stolen car before it's chopped.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,351,543 times
[quote=Predos;11888477]
Quote:

True, you did not say committing fraud was not a crime. You stated that you thought those exposing the crime should be prosecuted instead of those committing the crime. In fact, if Babs has her way there will be no investigation of the crime.
Obviously, we're not going to see eye to eye on any of the points we've been discussing. But I will say that you can't find one single sentence in any of my posts that suggests I thought exposing a crime should be prosecuted instead of those committing the crime. I didn't say it, I didn't elude to it, or even think it. I said that both the hackers and the alleged evidence of a crime should both be investigated at the same time.

Quote:
Why can't they do both at the same time? Investigate the hackers and investigate the content of the e-mails at the same time? The latter is already being done. It's a matter of principle, either hacking is illegal or it's not. If a hacker obtained records from the computer of a child predator but authorities can't get a conviction because of the way those records were gathered, you'd think differently about giving hackers a free ride.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 12-04-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: added quote of my previous post proving it was mischaracterized.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,383,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Barbara Boxer is a fighter. i would vote for her time and time again if I still lived in Calif.
She will be up for re-election next fall. Maybe she would be happy to have you move back so as to get another vote. I think she will be in need of them so maybe you better look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies