Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
FDR didn't win WW2. He had great and wise generals and admirals leading the war while he handled the political side.
FDR was alot more hands on with WWII than you give him credit for. Regardless, Obama will be doing basically the same thing. I.E; running the war in a political fashion with input from the military commanders that serve under him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 03:01 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That is a great suggestion but I think they prefer their 72 virgins in the afterlife.
You mean they don't like samples?

Seriously, if Bush had concentrated his focus on Afganistan instead of starting an unneccesary war in Irag we would probably have already eliminated Bin Laden.
Instead of taking care of his first priority he expanded to two wars and while that is going on the Taliban have reestablished themselves in the country we should have concentrated on first.
Now Obama has to figure out a way to make up for that mistake.
And I'm not sure if he is capable of doing that. He doesn't seem to take military leaders opinions and suggestions seriously. They know a hell of lot more about fighting wars than he does.
He wants to be "The Man" whether he has any expertise about the subject or not.
Where is Ike, FDR, Truman or even Patton, when you need them.
They defeated 2 major military powers in about 4 years.
We have been in Afganistan for 8 years with no end in sight because of poor planning and lack of priorties.
I sure am glad our current leaders weren't around back then in WW II.
We'd all be speaking Japanese or German and any Jewish person would be enslaved or dead.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
FDR didn't win WW2. He had great and wise generals and admirals leading the war while he handled the political side. The troops in the field in WW2 had much more freedom to do what needed to be done than troops do today. There were many times they didn't have any communications and just had to wing it until communications could be re-established. Back then, if the enemy went to point B then you went after the enemy in point B. Today you got to get permission from the upper levels of command to do anything unless you're currently underfire and even then you're restricted by strict regulations.

part of the reason we won WW2 was because we came to the war late, therefore came in stronger, and we brought american technology.

it should be a good idea to remember to come to the wars late, since recent military strategy (from vietnam on) seems to be to get bogged down in a drawn out quagmire, bleeding us economically, and this escalation looks to be more of the same, although i certainly will be listening to the president's speech when he makes it.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:36 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Didn't John McCain claim to know how to get bin Laden? Maybe $25M's not enough and he's still holding out for the White House?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
If Bin Laden were captured or killed, there wouldn't be any good reason to be there any more now would there?
you hit the nail square on the head it dosen't get anymore accurate than that.

except tell the american people the real reason we are over there and that would be to clear a path for oil infrastructure>>>>oil pipeline cuckunk cuchunk cuchunk..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
so any of you people have a strategy on how to catch bin laden??? did you know that there is a 25 million dollar reward for his capture.

i think the u.s. military needs some fresh ideas on how to capture this illusive man in a cave somewhere in the mountains of afgh and pakistan..

this is the way i think could work, we all know them terrorist love nukes right.. they will sacrifice a thousand virgins to acquire a nuke..

so if the u.s. military flys some big azzzz remote control bombers all over afgh in a grid patern, so that every terror club in the country sees them flying them big azzz bombers that suposedly have nukes aboard, wamo!!! they will shoot some of them out of the sky and try to recover the fake nukes with gps tracking devices on them, and carry them straight to the leader of the terror band bin laden himself.. and wamo poof!!! remotly detonate the 1000 lbs of tnt and there you have it..ashes to ashes dust to dust!!!

if you have better idea than that i'm all ears
If we catch Bin Laden people will want us to leave, and we are just getting comfortable. We've got Iraq and there is only one stubborn "neighbor" left to get rid of before we own the whole street.

I imagine catching Bin Laden is not real high on the REAL "to do" list.

Last edited by Chango; 11-30-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
so any of you people have a strategy on how to catch bin laden??? did you know that there is a 25 million dollar reward for his capture.

i think the u.s. military needs some fresh ideas on how to capture this illusive man in a cave somewhere in the mountains of afgh and pakistan..

this is the way i think could work, we all know them terrorist love nukes right.. they will sacrifice a thousand virgins to acquire a nuke..

so if the u.s. military flys some big azzzz remote control bombers all over afgh in a grid patern, so that every terror club in the country sees them flying them big azzz bombers that suposedly have nukes aboard, wamo!!! they will shoot some of them out of the sky and try to recover the fake nukes with gps tracking devices on them, and carry them straight to the leader of the terror band bin laden himself.. and wamo poof!!! remotly detonate the 1000 lbs of tnt and there you have it..ashes to ashes dust to dust!!!

if you have better idea than that i'm all ears
Pray Osama tries to crash a WH dinner party.

He'll be well fed and have his picture taken alongside BO, the VP and countless others......BEFORE...
somebody says "who is this guy?"...."His name wasn't on the invitation."

Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Nonsense.

CIA operations have evolved just as any other military/intelligence organization has evolved. There is nothing complex about Bin Laden eluding capture. Austere terrain, tribal alliances, and his own policy of not using telecommunications of any kind has kept him out of sight. Human intelligence is the key to capturing Bin Laden. There's no way he can control the flapping lips of everyone who may know his whereabouts. It's only a matter of time.
The OP was obviously a joke. No use in getting leveling any logic here.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 AM

221 posts, read 228,772 times
The only way we will get him will be by using covert ops! CIA and other agencies will have to do their jobs! I can see those black helicopters now! Non of this discussion would have been needed if Bush would have kept his focus in Osama instead of Iraq! JMO

Old 11-30-2009, 11:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I think we should remove ourselves from the entire area and let bin Laden die alone and in the dark. He is a would be martyr and should be ignored. Why play the game using his rules.

If big oil wants to build the big pipelines through the wilds of Pipelineistan they can figure out how to pay off the individual tribes to prevent sabotage with their own money. We do not need our military to be the cops of the world protecting the thieves of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies