Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,127,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
onservatives have taken the higher ground all along and all it has gotten them is sociatal(sp) decay. It's time we learn that you don't come to a gun fight armed with a knife. All conservatives are doing is going down to the level of left wingers to fight back on equal ground. We are learning...fast.
I think liberals would be more inclined to hear our viewpoints if we discussed them calmly and rationally without resorting to childish verbal attacks. Just so you are aware, you are not winning anything by attacking the president because liberals and conservatives are not even taking you seriously. All you are doing is demonstrating your ignorance, immaturity and irrelevance. Grow up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:40 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,128,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I think liberals would be more inclined to hear our viewpoints if we discussed them calmly and rationally without resorting to childish verbal attacks. Just so you are aware, you are not winning anything by attacking the president because liberals and conservatives are not even taking you seriously. All you are doing is demonstrating your ignorance, immaturity and irrelevance. Grow up!

Our? Our? Are you trying to pass yourself off as a conservative? You people do realize anyone ccan look through all your posts don't you?

I am adopting the liberal game rules, the same ones hussein obama and his Chicago thugs use, like ACORN. You should like that.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:41 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,501,323 times
Quote:
Sadly, I have to "spread the love around" before I can rep you again, Chatteress. Thanks for saying that.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:43 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,293,513 times
It's hard to believe that a thread started in PAOC has gone for five whole pages and has not deteriorated into a flame fest between conservatives and liberals. That is what usually happens even when a thread starts out innocently and before you know it someone has started a food fight. Here is a perfect example: https://www.city-data.com/forum/11790473-post5.html

Occasionally, I get some new and useful information about an issue that I did not have before and that's always a plus, even if it doesn't happen very often.

ETA: Oops. I spoke too soon. This thread was still on page 5 and going along pretty well when I composed the above.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Our? Our? Are you trying to pass yourself off as a conservative? You people do realize anyone ccan look through all your posts don't you?

I am adopting the liberal game rules, the same ones hussein obama and his Chicago thugs use, like ACORN. You should like that.
Go ahead. A sampling of my posts on here would indicate that I am a free-thinking conservative. Obama bashing does not = conservative just so you know.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM

29,920 posts, read 39,648,450 times
Quote:

People are looking for a response on here. When threads get facts inserted into them they die a quick death. It seems after that insertion the only responses that come are either knee-jerk or name calling.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:46 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,643,693 times
Quote:

I would like to know what you gain from debates here? Are you hoping to learn anything from others points of view? Are you hoping to offer your opinions in the hope of adding an alternate point of view to the debate? Or are you merely hoping to get a knee-jerk response from those with differing opinions?

If you could answer honestly, I would be interested to know.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 PM

17,522 posts, read 24,831,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I would like to know what you gain from debates here? Are you hoping to learn anything from others points of view? Are you hoping to offer your opinions in the hope of adding an alternate point of view to the debate? Or are you merely hoping to get a knee-jerk response from those with differing opinions?

If you could answer honestly, I would be interested to know.
I think that most of the people posting here want affirmation of their position. That is why the titles of so many of the threads are as inflammitory as they are. Each side thinks the majority agrees with them and wants to enlist aid in insulting the others position. This is what happens when people limit their sources of information to sources that tell them what they want to hear. They think everyone agrees with them

Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I think that most of the people posting here want affirmation of their position. That is why the titles of so many of the threads are as inflammitory as they are. Each side thinks the majority agrees with them and wants to enlist aid in insulting the others position. This is what happens when people limit their sources of information to sources that tell them what they want to hear. They think everyone agrees with them
That makes sense ... sort of like they are seeking validation for their beliefs and opinions even if they are outlandish.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,673,206 times
Quote:
onservatives have taken the higher ground all along and all it has gotten them is sociatal(sp) decay. It's time we learn that you don't come to a gun fight armed with a knife. All conservatives are doing is going down to the level of left wingers to fight back on equal ground. We are learning...fast.
Getting back to my original question, and I marked myself as a progressive and thus made no dishonest move, I kind of disagree with this statement. What I am saying is that it doesn't matter who resorts to bullying behavior first: it is still bullying behavior. I don't think anyone has taken the higher ground here, and, what I would hope people would do is take a more neutral stance. People like dcsldcd are ignoring what I am saying, which is simply this. Why would you try to persuade people by insulting them? If you are not trying to insult them, then what are you doing here? You can't both say you are taking the higher ground and start your post with "Hussein Obama." If people who started posts like that were honest, they would admit that they were trying to link our current president with terrorism.

I would challenge such posters to find a post where I do that: I have not tried to be either that inflammatory or divisive. So, why do some posters feel the need to be so insulting? It certainly cannot be to advance their cause, because it does the exact opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies