Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,227,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why is Charles Manson even coming up for Parole at all anyway??
Didn't you say you are a lawyer??

Why does Manson get parole hearings.........Because his sentence was changed to life (whatever the law in California was at the time - perhaps 25 min/mandatory - then elgible for parole) AFTER the USSC found the death penalty to be UnConstitutional in the 1970s.

Manson's sentence today clearly includes the right to go for a parole hearing every so often. And OF COURSE the man will never, ever be paroled.

I would think someone with a legal background, and someone who claims to have represented at least one defendant in a murder trial, would absolutely understand why Charles Manson comes up for parole periodically.

Last edited by Austin13; 11-17-2009 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
This Life without parole gives the murderer the one thing he denied his victims........... LIFE!
It gives the "murderer" (assuming the jury convicted the correct person) the opportunity to breath, eat crap for food the rest of their lives, live in a dirty, mean, boiling hot or freezing cold prison with all the time in the world to think about what they did. It gives them a life of enormous hardship, separation from family or anyone they may love, and, again, gives them countless hours to think about all the things in life they missed and will never again experience. IT'S PUNISHMENT. Some people on death row consider life there so painful that they actually waive their appeals and VOLUNTEER TO BE EXECUTED. Do you think that if "life" were good in prison that anyone would volunteer to be executed?

Would you enjoy life if you were restricted to a small, 6 X 9 cell, all day every day, getting to take a shower twice a week, not being allowed to spend time with loved ones or spend times doing anything you really loved to do, spending the rest of your life in the company of only men in close proximity? Most of us would consider that a very painful life. However, I guess if all life is to you is being able to breathe, eat, sleep, and THINK, and you want nothing more, then life in prison without parole would be a cake-walk.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,751,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
It gives the "murderer" (assuming the jury convicted the correct person) the opportunity to breath, eat crap for food the rest of their lives, live in a dirty, mean, boiling hot or freezing cold prison with all the time in the world to think about what they did. It gives them a life of enormous hardship, separation from family or anyone they may love, and, again, gives them countless hours to think about all the things in life they missed and will never again experience. IT'S PUNISHMENT. Some people on death row consider life there so painful that they actually waive their appeals and VOLUNTEER TO BE EXECUTED. Do you think that if "life" were good in prison that anyone would volunteer to be executed?

Would you enjoy life if you were restricted to a small, 6 X 9 cell, all day every day, getting to take a shower twice a week, not being allowed to spend time with loved ones or spend times doing anything you really loved to do, spending the rest of your life in the company of only men in close proximity? Most of us would consider that a very painful life. However, I guess if all life is to you is being able to breathe, eat, sleep, and THINK, and you want nothing more, then life in prison without parole would be a cake-walk.
i respectfully disagree no hard labor no compensation to the victims or family no reformation and an excellent chance of later parole for what?? absolutely any crime no matter how bad and who is punished?? US taxpayer at the tune of 1 million a year. enough. execution quick and no years of lanquishing in a cell or banishment to a mexican jail (subcontracting!!!). lets get out of hotel biz shall we? we discipline our criminals like we discipline our kids, we dont. that is why our kids become criminals.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i respectfully disagree no hard labor no compensation to the victims or family no reformation and an excellent chance of later parole for what?? absolutely any crime no matter how bad and who is punished?? US taxpayer at the tune of 1 million a year. enough. execution quick and no years of lanquishing in a cell or banishment to a mexican jail (subcontracting!!!). lets get out of hotel biz shall we? we discipline our criminals like we discipline our kids, we dont. that is why our kids become criminals.
I believe that we are ALL entitled to due process of the law. If you want to change that Constitutional right to due process, then it would probably be best for you and those who agree with you to start working on trying to get the meaning of "due process of the law" changed.

As I have said repeatedly, there is basically no chance of parole for someone who has been sentenced to life without parole (ever). That's the bottom line. Death is Different.

Oh, if only the solution to the problem of crime were as simple as how we discipline our kids! I have investigated the family backgrounds of death row inmates who were SEVERELY PUNISHED/DISCIPLINED when they were children. I know for a FACT that they were seriously disciplined as kids. So, why did they end up on death row if the solution to the problem is as simple as discipline for our kids?

With all due respect, your proposal for punishment for breaking the law in this country sounds much more like the system used in Middle Eastern countries which are governed by religion.

You might also want to consult studies regarding the cost to execute people in this country. If money is your concern, it is far more expensive to execute someone than it is to just take them out of society, lock them away in prison for life without the possibility of parole ever. The Death Penalty Information Center has lots of data about these things. Just google it.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,434,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
I'm happy with the death penalty in theory, but I'm appalled at how it's implemented, so I'm against it for purely pragmatic reasons. Totally on board with the idea that some foks should be put down like mad dogs.
I think this pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,259,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
This Life without parole gives the murderer the one thing he denied his victims........... LIFE!
Life without the possibilty for parole is a death penalty, just much slower

Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,259,028 times
Quote:
Didn't you say you are a lawyer??

Why does Manson get parole hearings.........Because his sentence was changed to life (whatever the law in California was at the time - perhaps 25 min/mandatory - then elgible for parole) AFTER the USSC found the death penalty to be UnConstitutional in the 1970s.

Manson's sentence today clearly includes the right to go for a parole hearing every so often. And OF COURSE the man will never, ever be paroled.

I would think someone with a legal background, and someone who claims to have represented at least one defendant in a murder trial, would absolutely understand why Charles Manson comes up for parole periodically.
At the time the California SC ruled the death Penalty unconstitutional , California did not have a penalty of life without the possibility of parole. So the Death sentence had to be computed to the life term that was the law at the time.
that law allowed parole hearings. he will never be granted parole

Old 11-17-2009, 10:22 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,190,565 times
Persoanlly i thni as people see that murders repeat their crimes and can get out plus the cost of keepihng them 9in total dollars people are having less confidence in the life sentence in protecting the public from the 1% .

Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,091,909 times
Quote:
There have been several gory executions in Florida. A couple where fire shot out of the head of the person being executed, one time the fire shot out several feet high while electrocuting someone.
Wow! I often wonder how the actual person (s) administering the execution can actually perform this job and live with him/herself afterwards. What type of person would even select this sort of job?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,091,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why is Charles Manson even coming up for Parole at all anyway??
I wonder that as well. Parole should never be an option for those who commit heinious crimes or serial killers/serial rapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies