Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:00 PM

277 posts, read 370,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I think this sums it up.
This is so wrong in so many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 05:08 PM

757 posts, read 805,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I think this sums it up.
Christs' basic teachings were to love god, one another. You are your brothers keeper. Since our government is of, by and for the people, it's a logical conclusion that Christ would support universal health care.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:16 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,412,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
We tried it the old-fashioned way. It sucked.
And, what way was that? You didn't say. And why did it "suck"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Ask the program people in any private charity if they favor eliminating the role that goverment plays in providing aid and addressing suffering. You'll get the same answer from all of them...
And what answer is that? In your opinion?

Government has never done as good a job as private charity. One reason is that too much money (which they take by force) goes to fund government. Another is that government decides who is in need. So, some will go wanting.

Government doesn't have the same compassion that private charity has.

Government may not think some are worthy (can we say, "pro-life counceling" for example?).

Government always has it's agenda, and it usually favors empowering government and a particular party. We can see that so clearly in all of Obamas policies and agenda. Can we not? Empower unions, Democrats, left-wing and Marxist organizations (ACORN, Tides Foundation), etc, etc.

More government, more taxation, more liberal "causes", more oppression. Less freedom, less help for the truly needy, less of everything that really matters to most Americans. Even less food! Look what government has done to California farmers, from where we get most of our vegitable crops? Wonder why your grocery bill is going up? They have cut off water to the farmers! Is that stupid, or what? This is the DEMOCRATS that are doing this. It isn't Republicans! Get a clue!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:26 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,403,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
He'd encourage us to care for one-another and not rely on the government to do it.
And in any given society who is "us"? Would "us" be encouraged to pay the senseless prices for drugs and medical procedures?

What a ridiculous issue.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Christs' basic teachings were to love god, one another. You are your brothers keeper. Since our government is of, by and for the people, it's a logical conclusion that Christ would support universal health care.
No, he wouldn't. Because he didn't believe in stealing from the "rich" to give to the "poor".

He believed in individual responsibility. He didn't believe in slothfulness and letting the government provide all your needs (by stealing from the productive). Christ condemned slothfulness.

Christ believed in the work ethic.

Government of the people, by the people, and for the people, does not speak to government providing all our needs. It speaks to the idea that we are a free people, not under an oppressive form of government, but that we empower government. We are the government, through our elected representatives.

We did not empower government to take from one class and give to another. We did not empower governmet to mandate that we buy insurance, or anything else.

We empowered government to provide for the national defense, and to "promote the general welfare" (that doesn't mean "provide" welfare — it means to promote a climate where business and individuals thrive and grow).

Lack of education about our system and our history is our greatest enemy.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Don't concern yourself, he's not around.

Rabbits should be more concerned about it though, if abortion funding is struck from the bill.

Rabbit - pregnancy
Oh. So you support the killing of babies.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:55 PM

757 posts, read 805,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, he wouldn't. Because he didn't believe in stealing from the "rich" to give to the "poor".

He believed in individual responsibility. He didn't believe in slothfulness and letting the government provide all your needs (by stealing from the productive). Christ condemned slothfulness.

Christ believed in the work ethic.

Government of the people, by the people, and for the people, does not speak to government providing all our needs. It speaks to the idea that we are a free people, not under an oppressive form of government, but that we empower government. We are the government, through our elected representatives.

We did not empower government to take from one class and give to another. We did not empower governmet to mandate that we buy insurance, or anything else.

We empowered government to provide for the national defense, and to "promote the general welfare" (that doesn't mean "provide" welfare — it means to promote a climate where business and individuals thrive and grow).

Lack of education about our system and our history is our greatest enemy.
First let me say that I am NOT a jesus freak. I consider myself a recovering southern baptist. : )

I will simply quote scripture.

Woe to you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders! Hypocrites! For you won't let others enter the Kingdom of Heaven, and you won't go yourselves! And you pretend to be holy, with all your long, public prayers in the streets, while you are evicting widows from their homes." Matt. 23:13

"If someone slaps you on the cheek, let him slap the other too! If someone demands your coat, give him your shirt besides. Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don't worry about getting them back." Luke 6:29

"He called up his disciples to him and remarked, That poor widow has given more than all those rich men put together! For they gave a little of their extra fat, while she gave up her last penny." Mark12:43,44

"Beware of the teachers of religion! For they love to wear the robes of the rich and scholarly, and to have everyone bow to them as they walk through the markets. They love to sit in the best seats in the synagogues, and at the places of honor at banquets-but they shamelessly cheat widows out of their homes and then, to cover up the kind of men they really are, they pretend to be pious by praying long prayers in public. Because of this, their punishment will be the greater". Mark12:38-40

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "It is almost impossible for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven. I say it again-it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God!" Math19:23-24

Jesus threw the money changers and dove keepers out of the temple because he believed they were taking advantage of the poor and making a profit on poor people who wanted to worship. Greed against the poor is the moral of the story. Not dislike for gov.

Christ had much contempt for the religious establisment. Jesus cared for the outcasts of his time. The poor, the sick, the hungry,the down cast, the meek. It seems logical to me that he would support feeding the hungry, caring for the sick and poor regardless of the century in question.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:19 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,786,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
I thought it was an ignorant post. The OP definitely doesn't understand the difference between charity and forced servitude. Also, the OP shows her lack of understanding on the Bible probably b.c she has never bothered to read it, and has instead chosen to spout off dogmas from the leftist atheists she listens to like Bill Mahr.

And then I read your post Nita.. which made an even dumber claim that 2000 years ago is all that different than today. The only things that have changed are technology, living conditions, etc.. The messages that the Bible has have stayed the same though, the stories and lessons have just as much to do with today's stresses and turbulences as they did of those back then. There is a reason it is called the "Living" Bible.

One thing is clear. The gov't of today would have locked Jesus up for practicing healing/medicine without a permit from their bureaucracy.
1) I am dude stop referring to me as her.

Last edited by joejitsu; 11-14-2009 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 06:22 PM

64 posts, read 110,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
First let me say that I am NOT a jesus freak. I consider myself a recovering southern baptist. : )

I will simply quote scripture.

Woe to you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders! Hypocrites! For you won't let others enter the Kingdom of Heaven, and you won't go yourselves! And you pretend to be holy, with all your long, public prayers in the streets, while you are evicting widows from their homes." Matt. 23:13

"If someone slaps you on the cheek, let him slap the other too! If someone demands your coat, give him your shirt besides. Give what you have to anyone who asks you for it; and when things are taken away from you, don't worry about getting them back." Luke 6:29

"He called up his disciples to him and remarked, That poor widow has given more than all those rich men put together! For they gave a little of their extra fat, while she gave up her last penny." Mark12:43,44

"Beware of the teachers of religion! For they love to wear the robes of the rich and scholarly, and to have everyone bow to them as they walk through the markets. They love to sit in the best seats in the synagogues, and at the places of honor at banquets-but they shamelessly cheat widows out of their homes and then, to cover up the kind of men they really are, they pretend to be pious by praying long prayers in public. Because of this, their punishment will be the greater". Mark12:38-40

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "It is almost impossible for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven. I say it again-it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God!" Math19:23-24

Jesus threw the money changers and dove keepers out of the temple because he believed they were taking advantage of the poor and making a profit on poor people who wanted to worship. Greed against the poor is the moral of the story. Not dislike for gov.

Christ had much contempt for the religious establisment. Jesus cared for the outcasts of his time. The poor, the sick, the hungry,the down cast, the meek. It seems logical to me that he would support feeding the hungry, caring for the sick and poor regardless of the century in question.
Did Jesus go to Pontius Pilate and demand that he tax people to support his (charitable) beliefs?
A lot of people have great beliefs, doesn't mean they should be applied to government and forced on others. Most of the left doesn't believe this in social issues, why should they believe it with economic issues?

Old 11-14-2009, 07:02 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,577,302 times
I'm so impressed that so many people here on this thread know so very well what God thinks and what Jesus would do...but you know what? Depending on others more fortunate hasn't worked very well, has it. I imagine many of you would walk past a homeless person and avert your eyes (I know this is a generalization), and I think that many of you would also quickly change your minds if you found yourself out of a job, without options and suddenly you are sick. But that's always different when it's you...I speak that from experience as I have known many conservative right wing people who are situationally so (that means, unless THEY need help). So, that is why we need someone to step in and take a stand and make health insurance available to all of us. Let's clean up our country and take care of our people before we keep going into other countries, invading and warring in the name of the United States...I just do not understand why that's such a difficult concept for some to understand, and why people become so irate. I would gladly give more of my taxes if I knew my hard earned dollars were going to help people instead of wage war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies