Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
That way you will be treated as an individual and not by some preconceived notion of what prevailing society says you should be.
I hope I'm still alive the day that happens as I would love to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 12:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I would be very curious to know if all the people on the board who continually say that there is no racism in this country, and that race is not important, and should not be a concern in people's lives are white. If so, it is very easy to say when it does not impact your day to day existence.
Why and how do you think that race impacts your life on a daily basis?

And how do you know that if you perceive that it does impact your life daily, that it's just simply specific to who you come into contact with and it is not a symptom of an entire society obsessed with race?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
yes, I do.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I hope I'm still alive the day that happens as I would love to see it.
It happens all the time, natalay. Among young people who have a brain in their heads, it's practically unanimous.

There are plenty of good people in the world. As you well know.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:19 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,080,108 times
Why do you have to identify with any race? Why not just be yourself?

If you are from America, you are just an American.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Why do you have to identify with any race? Why not just be yourself?

If you are from America, you are just an American.
I'll tell you one place there's no race identification: with the KIAs and MIAs coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Shared sacrifice has a way of clearing up all that racial jazz.

That's one of the most important things I learned from my time in the military: all blood is red, baby.

And we should never forget it.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,080,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Why and how do you think that race impacts your life on a daily basis?

And how do you know that if you perceive that it does impact your life daily, that it's just simply specific to who you come into contact with and it is not a symptom of an entire society obsessed with race?
In the USA there is a lot of racism. Lots of people are against racism and are politically correct, but the fact is that racism in the USA is huge. Even though you might be progressive and open-minded, lots and lots of Americans are not.

I never understand it when people try to act like there is no racism in America, it's just ridiculous. The USA has always been a racist country. In the past it was a VERY racist country and lots of that culture is still there. It was racially segregated until just 50 years ago. How can you say it doesn't exist.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:28 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,588 times
Default "An Easy Answer" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
What is a 'multiracial' person supposed to identify as?
Greetings,

Without doubt America is made up of many multiracial folks !

The most important thing to remember when and if the question
of "What Any And All Races In America Should Identify As" ??? .....
Is simply this : As "Americans First" and then one may embelish
themselves with all the add on race titles they desire !

"We Are Americans First" ! That was easy wasn't it ?

Thanks / Lamar

Old 11-12-2009, 09:04 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It happens all the time, natalay. Among young people who have a brain in their heads, it's practically unanimous.

There are plenty of good people in the world. As you well know.
Must not happen in the areas where I live. I've never really had to deal with up-in-your-face racism but I've been stereotyped the majority of my life. When I was in college (supposedly with a bunch of young people who had brains in their heads) and taking journalism classes I was expected to be a walking talking Encyclopedia on all things black.

Yes, I'm black so I should know:

1. How to cook collard greens
2. The lyrics to every Lil Wayne song in the world
3. The line-up of BET
4. What every other black person in the world is thinking or feeling at any given moment.

It used to annoy the hell out of me but I started to enjoy seeing the stumped looks on their faces when they couldn't explain to me why they thought I would know these things

I also love it when white women ask me if my hair is real...because you know black girls with long hair must be wearing weaves

I don't know what young people you hang around with but the ones in my age group are definitely not color blind; in fact they're a lot bolder when it comes to discussing racial things because it doesn't occur to them that their basic questions/comments are either offensive as hell or completely idiotic so they think they're just having a regular conversation.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
I identify as a black man, because I have no choice but to.

I am African American and Caribbean Latino, and my family is as mixed as any other African American, Latino or Caribbean family. My ancestors come from every continent save Australia. I am an American citizen and happy to be just that. But I have always been identified as a black person, and I see no reason to stop now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies