Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times

Advertisements

IF ABORTION FUNDS ARE BANNED, THESE SHOULD BE BANNED TO.... - Democratic Underground

There are a host of other things that should be banned.

The amendment to the health care bill effectively blocks abortion from being covered in any of the publicly exchange health insurance plans. This amendment went WAY too far. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/op...tue1.html?_r=1

We are not a theocracy. If people have a problem with abortion, either don't get one or try to do something more productive to prevent them rather than fighting over whether abortions should be legal or not.

I am sure we'd see the number of abortions performed go down under a single payer system. A woman wouldn't have to worry about if she can afford pre-natal coverage, she wouldn't have to worry if she can afford health care for her children, etc. How more pro-life can you get than to have a national health care system that covers all citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
I'm sure they will here to tell you real soon...

Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,465 times
Their own abortions...........

I'm with you. They should abort themselves on the self-paid plan.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Why don't conservatives? It's a loaded question.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
liberals did not bring abortion womens lib did.
dont thank mr obama thank gloria steinem.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
You do realize liberals aren't the only ones to have abortions, right?

The amendment that was tacked on to the House health care bill bans women from obtaining abortions in their own PRIVATE health insurance plans.

Why can't conservatives let women and their doctors make their own health care choices?
Why can't conservatives focus on something MORE PRODUCTIVE like preventing unplanned/unwanted pregnancies?

I don't understand this whole "limited government" mantra. You want limited government yet you want to tell women if they can have an abortion and tell people who they can and cannot marry....among other things.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You do realize liberals aren't the only ones to have abortions, right?

The amendment that was tacked on to the House health care bill bans women from obtaining abortions in their own PRIVATE health insurance plans.

Why can't conservatives let women and their doctors make their own health care choices?
Why can't conservatives focus on something MORE PRODUCTIVE like preventing unplanned/unwanted pregnancies?

I don't understand this whole "limited government" mantra. You want limited government yet you want to tell women if they can have an abortion and tell people who they can and cannot marry....among other things.

Please show me where it says this. If I am paying for private health insurance I most certainly can get an abortion so long as it is something I or my company have elected to cover.

Last edited by Cyber Queen; 11-10-2009 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,465 times
Quote:

........tell people who they can and cannot marry.

So, you are o.k. with a man taking 14 wives, or 4 people marrying each other, or marrying their pets in order to pass on inheritances? Or carving out territories of Sharia Law in the States, where honor killings associated with marriage infidelity would be ignored (or condoned)?

Or you just proposing the government give you YOUR darling little preference ONLY?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:05 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,752 times
Quote:
We are not a theocracy. If people have a problem with abortion, either don't get one or try to do something more productive to prevent them rather than fighting over whether abortions should be legal or not.
You don't seem to understand so I will explain why Christians get upset when UHC folks talk about wanting to fund abortions.

Christians feel that abortion is a sin, since you are killing an innocent child.

So right about here is where you start yelling at your monitor "WELL, Don't get one then!!!"

Don't worry, we won't. Are problem arise from the fact that if tax payer dollars (read, money from you and me) will be used to pay for medical care, even if it is some small amount like .00025 cents, each of us will end up paying for part of the medical care.

Now with this being true, if there is an abortion performed using public funds, then every taxpayer paid a small part for this abortion. In effect, this means that the government just forced Christians to pay for an abortion, something we know is a sin.

To summarize for Christians Abortion = Sin, Public Funds paying for Abortion = Government forced Sin.

Needless to say, my fellow Christians and myself are not to happy with the idea of being forced to pay for a sin.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:

They want 'limited government' except when it suits their agenda, this is also know as typical NeoConfused hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies