Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Rep. Joseph Cao (R-Louisiana) become a Democrat?
Yes 13 52.00%
No 11 44.00%
Not sure 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,960,667 times

Advertisements

the republican party needs to get a backbone and stop funding liberals. if cao wants to vote for liberal policies then he should be financed by the democratic party. i seriously hope that someone steps up and challenges him in the next primary.

if government is serious about fixing health care, why not fix the broken health care system first and prove that we can trust them? cut out the fraud, throw crooks in jail, and eliminate wasteful spending. if you have to hire some more auditors to find the problems, good for the unemployment rate.

do something right for a change so americans can trust the government. after all of the bailouts, there is no trust left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,114,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Just as the Blue Dogs should become Republicans. All these politicians who win in districts that usually go for the other party generally run closer to that party. The lable is a farce.

Personally I think if you cannot follow the party line you should run as an Independent. That way the people would not be fooled at who and what they are voting for.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,307,916 times
I cannot believe people here would talk about this man when most of you know so little. I live in New Orleans and Cao has had to walk a tight line between the GOP and the Democrats as he lives in a gerrymandered district that was written to ensure a Democrat would be elected.

We dont have a parliamentary system in the United States and CONGRESSMEN do NOT have an obligation to support "the party line" and in many cases don't.
I am a registered Republican in Orleans Parish and Joseph Cao will continue to get my vote and my support. Or suck it, national GOP...its none of your godamn business.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:38 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,650,009 times
His is a district that had been Democratic for a century. Cao is as conservative as you're going to get there. He is also one of the few non-white Republicans in Congress. They should be happy to have Cao.

If the Republicans or activists are foolish enough to put someone against him because he's not "conservative enough" than I might just stop voting for them. (I'm independent, but generally vote Republican) I actually felt it made sense in New York's 23rd as that was a traditionally conservative district, but it makes no sense here.

Granted being a Pro-Life "liberal on race" Catholic maybe effects my views some. Cao was maybe tricked, but I think he likely really does hope this may actually reduce abortion or at least be abortion-neutral. I think he may even be right as I've seen grumbling about it from Pro-Choicers.

Anyway he has voted with his party less than most, but he's still voted with the House Republicans about 80% of the time. He's fairly moderate, but he's more Republican on some terrorism and small business issues. Also on abortion.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/c.../party-voters/

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-12-2009 at 02:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies