Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:04 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,355,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Here we go again with the left wing whacko spin.

1. You have to describe torture to know what it is.

2. Terrorist are NOT covered under the Geneva Conv rules. ( torture the hell of them I say )
So what are you b****ing about exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90
3. The VP has nothing to do with how the prisoners are handled. I have yet to see one honest left winger go after Joe Biden for the current torturing being done. Just shows that the left wing hypocrisy team is still at it.
Really? Care to rethink that?

He did in the LAST administration. In fact, Cheney was instrumental in determining how they were treated...

Pushing the Envelope on Presidential Power | Cheney | washingtonpost.com

Quote:
4. Obama and BIDEN are allowing torture to happen after both of them condemned it to pieces. ( So it is all Bidens fault then right? According to somes theories this would be the case )
Allowing rendition isn't even CLOSE to what the Bushies outright authorized!!!

Quote:
Damn Joe Biden is the same as Cheney, only a lot dumber!
I'll give you "dumber"... Also more "compassionate" (you might have to look that one up, I think people like you call it "bleeding heart" ).

Quote:
Way to go Joe, torture them baby since you have given the ok from your VP bunker.
I've offered evidence to prove MY assertion, I'll be waiting for yours on Biden authorizing ANYTHING like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,475,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I even explained why I was saying it was a "gray area" and why I put "gray area" in quotes and you STILL had trouble comprehending it...
Incorrect as usual.
I understand fully why you put it in a "gray area", because you wanted to take the opportunity to continue to bash Bush, for doing it, while excusing the actions going on.. You contradicted your own statement, first its a grey area, but you said clearly it wasnt.
Quote:
Apparrently you don't or you'd understand that what the Bush administration did was illegal, while rendition is still legal....
illegal according to what law. I want the law, not some liberal dribble about "grey" areas again. Because you again now claim positively that he broke laws, while now claiming its a grey area. Stop spinning your own response
Quote:
Yeah, you're right, we shouldn't take a Republican war veteran's opinon on such matters. Obviously you are more qualified to judge this...
A Republican war veteran that is not a legal scholar, but a Congressman. I'm absolutely not a legal expert but neither are you. I do have the ability to read what legal scholars said about the actions and comprehend it. Have you done so much, or are you just listening to dribble? What LAW was broken since you want to claim it was done.. List it.. Can you or will you just repeat the liberal dribble you heard others say who had no more legal experance than yourself.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 PM

17,522 posts, read 24,831,984 times
The NUREMBERG DOCTRINE is the law that applies, and it applies to everyone. It is International Laww and we are signatories. Every day that we do not bring to justice those responsible for the violations or the NUREMBERG DOCTRINE we are as guilty as the ones who did the torture.

Since three Japanese Officers were hanged for waterboarding US aircrews based on the NUREMBERG DOCTRINE, we can assume it is TORTURE

Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Says who? I know, Obama says so, but its a shame he disagrees with numerous legal experts which claim waterboarding <> torture, especially considering our own military personnel go through it.
Geneva rules forbade not only torture but also, in equally categorical terms, the use of "violence," "cruel treatment" or "humiliating and degrading treatment" against a detainee "at any time and in any place whatsoever." The War Crimes Act of 1996 made any grave breach of those restrictions a U.S. felony -Washington Post-

So just to get it straight, waterboarding doesn't fall under any of these categories in your world?

Also notice the last sentence as for your question on the legality.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Incorrect as usual.
I understand fully why you put it in a "gray area", because you wanted to take the opportunity to continue to bash Bush, for doing it, while excusing the actions going on.. You contradicted your own statement, first its a grey area, but you said clearly it wasnt.
No genius, I put it is quotes because YOUR opinion isn't just that it's a gray area, but that it is apparrently acceptable. If you bother to read (which it's becoming clearer as we go on that you don't) you'd see that to me there's nothing "gray" about it.....

Way to misrepresent my statement though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
illegal according to what law. I want the law, not some liberal dribble about "grey" areas again. Because you again now claim positively that he broke laws, while now claiming its a grey area. Stop spinning your own response
Look above.... 1996, read it and weep!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
A Republican war veteran that is not a legal scholar, but a Congressman. I'm absolutely not a legal expert but neither are you. I do have the ability to read what legal scholars said about the actions and comprehend it. Have you done so much, or are you just listening to dribble? What LAW was broken since you want to claim it was done.. List it.. Can you or will you just repeat the liberal dribble you heard others say who had no more legal experance than yourself.
What do your legal scholars have to say about the War Crimes Act? I'd LOVE to hear it!!

Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Or is it your claim that simulating drowning over and over again in order to extract information isn't "violent", "cruel", "degrading" or "inhumane"???

Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 PM

24,600 posts, read 33,538,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
That's torture....
Exactly. What some people call "torture" these days is almost hilarious... putting them in cold rooms, playing loud music, not letting them sleep and, yes, even waterboarding.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,475,515 times
Quote:
Geneva rules forbade not only torture but also, in equally categorical terms, the use of "violence," "cruel treatment" or "humiliating and degrading treatment" against a detainee "at any time and in any place whatsoever." The War Crimes Act of 1996 made any grave breach of those restrictions a U.S. felony -Washington Post-

So just to get it straight, waterboarding doesn't fall under any of these categories in your world?

Also notice the last sentence as for your question on the legality.
WRONG, Geneva rules also say clearly who is covered by the Geneva Convention, TERRORISTS are not..

Nice try, but lets try to find another law relevant because that one FAILED..
Quote:
No genius, I put it is quotes because YOUR opinion isn't just that it's a gray area, but that it is apparrently acceptable. If you bother to read (which it's becoming clearer as we go on that you don't) you'd see that to me there's nothing "gray" about it.....
Its only a grey area to those who pretend laws exist that dont. Its not grey, its clearly allowed..
Quote:
Look above.... 1996, read it and weep!!!
See my reply above, no weeping going on here, I'm familiar with the Geneva Convention.. It seems you arent.
Quote:
What do your legal scholars have to say about the War Crimes Act? I'd LOVE to hear it!!
War Crimes act involved violating the Geneva Convention, since no violation took place, its not relevant..

Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,911,350 times
no more than war is ok now. funny how the moral outrage is always focused on our own military and police. what happens when there is a gang rape of a young girl or murder of a cop, where does all the moral outrage go then? instead the victim is reproached, sympathy for the perpetrator and we jail the cop.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 PM

17,522 posts, read 24,831,984 times
The NUREMBERG DOCTRINE, it's International Law and the US is a Signatory. We hung Japanese Officers for Waterboarding based on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies