Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 AM

9,892 posts, read 13,957,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
we have by far the highest rate of murders in the western world, while we have the most liberal gun control laws, coincidence?????

if these people did not have guns to begin with, there would be no need for us to be protected from them....
They took our guns. Now only the criminals and lunatics have them.

It's kinda hard to defend yourself against them with a can of hairspray, or a baseball bat or a kitchen knife but we do our best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:14 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,522,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
I have absolutely no interest in being armed.

Islamic terrorism is obviously not the reason behind mass shooting in this country, and while I know many people in this thread will not agree with me, I really don't think that it was the reason behind the Ft. Hood shooting. Gavin de Becker wrote an excellent book about violence and how to prevent it called The Gift of Fear. The one thing he constantly referenced in that book is that violence is preventable, and he never mentioned guns in keeping us safe. It takes following our instincts and common sense. I have been following the news on this issue, and the one thing that I keep hearing is that there were "signs" however, these signs were not investigated. It's the same thing you hear with all of these shootings, "He wrote disturbing papers" (Virginia Tech), "They were bullied and depressed" (Columbine), "He might have long suffered from emotional problems that were exacerbated by the tensions of his work with veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan who returned home with serious psychiatric problems." (Ft. Hood). I mean seriously, these things don't happen in a bubble, but people refuse to acknowledge the walking bomb that is standing in front of them. We need to be more vigilant and aware, and maybe then we can prevent some of these tragedies.
I bet his mommy just didn't give him enough hugs...
BTW, a local news station interviewed the brother of one of the first soldiers shot there and his brother told him the lunatic shouted "something about allah" before he started shooting. Those were the exact words he used in the interview, but it definitely didn't have anything to do with islam.. damn, now this is a double post

Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,331,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
do they fear us with guns???
Absolutely. That's why they won't fight us in traditional battles and rely instead on cowardly booby traps and assaults on hotels and market places.

Thank God that off-duty policewoman was passing by with a gun while the terrorist Jihadist assassin was shooting down un-armed, defensless people in cold blood. She doubtless saved many lives and is a true hero. Why is the news not concentrating on her and the victims instead of the scumbag terrorist?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,249,412 times
I've heard that "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Old 11-08-2009, 07:40 AM

507 posts, read 681,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I bet his mommy just didn't give him enough hugs...
BTW, a local news station interviewed the brother of one of the first soldiers shot there and his brother told him the lunatic shouted "something about allah" before he started shooting. Those were the exact words he used in the interview, but it definitely didn't have anything to do with islam.. damn, now this is a double post
You can belittle the argument all you want, but your cavalier attitude is exactly why these problem happen every year. These issues are rarely as shallow as "hugs", and instead of being proactive and aware, people would rather take the easy route and be reactive with a gun. The situation with this man is obviously complex.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 AM

feel free to stop right there. Where did I say anyone should react with a gun? My point was the whole thing was motivated by religion mixed with some cowardice, which is inherent with that particular religion. I will not disagree with the police officer shooting him, though. My only wish on that was that they used a better gun/caliber and her aim was a little better. That whacko went in with the correct weapons (FNH 5.7x28 and .357 Magnum). The police officer was stuck with a Beretta 9mm. I'll go with the high velocity and much more lethal rounds any day.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,331,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
My only wish on that was that they used a better gun/caliber and her aim was a little better.
I hope he lives so that he can be interogated.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:45 AM

except he might say something that a certain president doesn't agree with and the transcript will be lost..

Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 AM

757 posts, read 806,279 times
If more guns make a country safer, the US should be the safest country on the planet!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 AM

18,014 posts, read 15,769,371 times
(sigh) The laws on self defense, in all to many cases. defer to the rights of the criminal. There have been thousands of cases where an honest citizen defends themselves with a firearm, legitimately, and are prosecuted for it. CA and NYC are famous for this crap. LEGAL firearms owners are crucified for excercising their rights, and criminals file lawsuits and skate. The laws on firearms ownership and use are harsher for honest people than they are on the bad guys, and this control crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies