Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,263,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Proven by the gini index skyrocketing under Reagan, leveling off under Bush 1 and Clinton, and skyrocketing again under Bush 2. If you couldnt put two and two together, we saw the biggest tax cuts for the rich under Reagan and Bush.
If you had two and two, dollars together you'd understand that only fools sit on their money and dont invest it because of the deflating value of the dollar and tax consequences of holding it. Ok, I stipulate we have lots of fools in this country but rarely are they the bookoo rich.
Quote:
It doesnt matter what the wealthy actually did with their tax cuts, it did NOT equivalate in any type of redistribution of wealth, which is what would happen if the rich used their tax savings to create jobs.
When was "redistribution" supposed to happen? I missed that part in history class... Please point this out so you can educate me..
Quote:
Except tax cuts dont MAKE people spend, and they dont FORCE people to hire.
Unlike those current programs and plans, we see all of the spending and hiring going on.. dont we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 08:41 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you had two and two, dollars together you'd understand that only fools sit on their money and dont invest it because of the deflating value of the dollar and tax consequences of holding it. Ok, I stipulate we have lots of fools in this country but rarely are they the bookoo rich.
"Investments" do not neccessarily equate in hiring. In fact, most of the money spent in the stock market, where many people keep a huge portion of their money as "investments", does not create a single job whatsoever.

Quote:
When was "redistribution" supposed to happen? I missed that part in history class... Please point this out so you can educate me..
If rich people used their money to hire people, you would see the gini index fall, and quickly, over at least a couple quarters, and likely over a few years. Why? Because by hiring someone, they are taking 30k out of their pocket, and putting it in someone elses. This did not happen, and instead, we saw the rich either pocket the money, or simply employ it to better scrape more wealth off of the people who actually spend it in the economy.

Quote:
Unlike those current programs and plans, we see all of the spending and hiring going on.. dont we?
At some point you must have confused me with someone who approves of what is going on. I voted for Obama because he was supposed to create federal jobs on par with the New Deal, which is the best way to fix this mess. Obamas plans have mostly amounted to a bunch of tax cuts and private sector incentives. Both are equally as useless.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrencouragement View Post
As opposed to raising taxes; either directly or indirectly.

Taking more money from me isn't going to get me to spend or pay off debt.

If the government takes less from me, then I have more money to do what I wish to do with it; something the Liberals can't seem to get through their thick skulls.
What says taxes have to be raised? There is plenty of pork in the federal budget, including bloated defense spending, that can be used to do something.

That something is not to give the people who still have jobs a couple hundred in their pocket, which they are going to tuck under the mattress, and then bite their nails.

That something should be used to hire scores of the unemployed for federal jobs. Their demand for basic goods would be far more then the few extra goods that a couple extra dollars in your check would increase your demand.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,846,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Its time Obama stop playing golf, Stop playing basketball, Stop going to fund raisers, Stop flying around the country to get support for Obamacare.

People need to get back to work. He needs to keep his butt in dc in the oval office and figure something out.
obama cannot bring back jobs lost. or jobs that are going to be defunct. there are companies still who are planning to outsource to save themselves money

Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,846,436 times
Quote:
If the government takes less from me, then I have more money to do what I wish to do with it; something the Liberals can't seem to get through their thick skulls.
this is b.s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies