Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,921,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
I bet you'd be singing a different tune if your eyes were clawed out by one of these critters.
How often does THAT happen???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,465,979 times
Quote:
I bet you'd be singing a different tune if your eyes were clawed out by one of these critters.

Ugh if you train them which can be done they will not claw anything they are not suppose to. To many pet owners take the easy way and in the process harm the animals they say they love.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM

12,867 posts, read 15,003,917 times
Quote:
and why exactly would that happen?

there is a simple solution to bad cat behavior and it is called a squirt bottle. outsmarting a cat is not brain surgery.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 PM

12,867 posts, read 15,003,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
LOL. i guess we thought the same thing at the same time and you type faster....

Old 11-04-2009, 02:59 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,423,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
My mom has had one of her cats for 3 years. She still gets on the counter. She does this dispite getting yelled at, spanked, sprayed with a bottle and a sink hose, intimidated, and being put in crate for a "time out". Many cats arent just "harder" to train then dogs, they are outright rebellious to the point that they make their own rules, and dont really care the consequences.

Both of my cats are decently behaved and generally follow the rules, two of my moms current 4 are terrors that do what they want, when they want.

I would debate you about the percentages of cats that get complications, but you are probably right about the dumping part. Maybe outlawing declawing would prevent declawed cats from being dumped, and Id agree with that. The problem is, all those cats that may have had a shot at a home if they could be declawed, would end up being put down any how, because noone would take them. You have to weigh the scales there.
well, I would debate you on that last statement as well. how many people adopt a cat w/ the immediate desire to declaw it right after? usually the decision to declaw comes after issues arise w/ scratching or if someone living in a dwelling that only allows declawed cats wants one. w/ the latter, there are declawed cats in shelters they an choose from, or they can chose to not get a cat at all. when I worked at a shelter, the shelter would pass over anyone who came in w/ the intention of declawing the pet soon after. sure, the cat may have had to stay in the shelter a bit longer, but w/ that shelter, there was no risk of it being put to sleep and it would have been adopted by someone who wanted it whole soon enough (and in the cases of high kill shelters, again, better it be put humanly to sleep than possibly suffer life long complications from a needless surgery. w/ any major surgery like that, there's always that possibility)

77,770 posts, read 105,581,647 times
Quote:
If the cat's dumb enought to run off without claws then I say it's the cats fault. All mine does is eat and sleep. The fat slob wouldn't go outside if the place was on fire. Oh and he had his claws yanked out and hits the litter box fine. I think you cat lover folks are the ones who miss the old "box" after your cat gets declawed.
yep, my daughters declawed cat does just fine with the liter box. As for lazy, we have one of those: the one that eats the grass, then sleeps all day on the middle of the bed. Her exercise is walking from our bedroom to the laundry room every night, occassionally stopping long enough to climb on one of our laps for about 3 minutes.

Oh and for those who say, just train them to use a scratching post: Cats are not like dogs, many can't be trained to do anything they do not want to do.. if it were that easy, we would all have cats that only scratch where we have told them is socially acceptable.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 11-04-2009 at 03:11 PM..

346 posts, read 409,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I don't think they keep statistics on cat attacks.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Ugh if you train them which can be done they will not claw anything they are not suppose to. To many pet owners take the easy way and in the process harm the animals they say they love.
You spend your time training the varmints. I have their claws ripped out and don't have to worry about my eyes or anything else.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,921,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
LOL. i guess we thought the same thing at the same time and you type faster....
Ha! Well, it makes for a funny read going down the thread

You raise a good point.....what WOULD one have to be doing to get their eyes clawed out?? Oldyeller, care to help us out on this one??

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
and why exactly would that happen?

there is a simple solution to bad cat behavior and it is called a squirt bottle. outsmarting a cat is not brain surgery.
Squirt bottle eh?? You do realize if you did that to a terrorist it would be considered torture. So you are torturing your cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies