Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,486,723 times

Advertisements

Well, people can (and will) blame whoever they are going to blame and credit whoever they are going to credit. In the final analysis, their opinions are completely unimportant.

The fact is however that the "doom and gloom" crowd who screamed endless, inanely and apparently joyously that Obama was going to bring about an economic collapse were/are just plain WRONG.

And as time goes by more and more good news is showing just how WRONG.

And THAT is a GOOD thing.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,768,991 times
Of course. You took the words out of my mouth, Ken, in response to Summer. Impossible for honest debate with plain old bitterness.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:15 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,378,354 times
Boy, today's "recovery" seemed shorter lived than Hugh Heffner's libido.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:21 PM

31,002 posts, read 37,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think most logical people don't credit Bush alone for the economic crisis just like I'm sure most logical people won't credit Obama alone if the economy recovers while he is in office.

The media probably will but the media isn't really catering to logical people these days.
Problem is, most people aren't logical. There's even a book about this called:

Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions

Amazon.com: Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions (9780061854545): Dan Ariely: Books

Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 PM

31,002 posts, read 37,295,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
As the recovery picks up steam more and more good news is starting to appear. Yes there IS (and will continue to be) bad news as well - but as is the case with any recovery, as time goes on there will be less and less bad news and more and more good news.

Along with the much publicised news about Ford's big profit (and already announced news from GM that their September (post "Cash for Clunkers") sales are expected to the highest in a year) there is news that manufacturing is increasing.

"Institute for Supply Management says its index of manufacturing activity rose last month to its highest level in more than 3 years.

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A key index of U.S. manufacturing activity jumped in October, reaching its highest level in three and a-half years, a purchasing managers' group said Monday.

The Tempe, Ariz.-based Institute for Supply Management's (ISM) manufacturing index rose to a reading of 55.7 in October from 52.6 the month before. It was the highest reading since April 2006 when the index registered 56."

Manufacturing in 'recovery mode' - Nov. 2, 2009

And news that home sales are still picking up:

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The number of signed sales contracts to buy homes rose in September for the eighth straight month, according to a real estate industry report released Monday."

Signed home sales contracts reach 33-month high - Nov. 2, 2009

Recovery is coming. We're not done with hard times quite yet - but we're getting there.

Ken
Count me as a naysayer. All of this deficit spending is going to kill our economy at some point. Just the upcoming expenses for Social Security and Medicare alone might be enough to sink us.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Boy, today's "recovery" seemed shorter lived than Hugh Heffner's libido.
Well, considering that his "libido" been apparently pretty active for half century I'd say that's doing pretty darned good. If the economy moved forward for anywhere NEAR time length of time I'd be a happy camper.

Ken

Old 11-02-2009, 12:27 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,080,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah but you just have to accept that there will always be crazy people. The people who blame Bush(or Obama or any other political figure) for everything are usually the main ones who are uninformed.
Exactly. The President in and of himself has very little influence over the economy. The economy moves based on the decisions made in board rooms. yes- major corporations control the economy hence the welfare of the American people

19,226 posts, read 15,404,549 times
Quote:
Well, considering that his "libido" been apparently pretty active for half century I'd say that's doing pretty darned good. If the economy moved forward for anywhere NEAR time length of time I'd be a happy camper.

Ken

Spot on.

It's all about length and time.

20,054 posts, read 18,378,354 times
Quote:

Ken
I'm talking about his libido in the present here and now. Like the economy, not so good. Gets itself up for a tiny epoch, and quickly dies down. The analogy holds.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Count me as a naysayer. All of this deficit spending is going to kill our economy at some point. Just the upcoming expenses for Social Security and Medicare alone might be enough to sink us.
Well, the deficit IS the next big crises to be sure and WILL need to be dealt with - it's just that we can't deal with it until we get economy back on it's feet - THEN it will be time to take it on.

Regarding SS - though it IS in trouble, the fact is that trouble is not nearly as severe as people think.

First of all - SS would not even been in such trouble had it's funds been left alone (as was intended) - instead of having it's money looted (by both the Democrats and the GOP) to feed the general fund. If that had happened SS would still be on it's feet and with a pretty good stockpile of funding available to it.

Secondly, the trouble is temporary and almost entirely revolves around the demographics of the Baby Boomer wave. Once that wave passes and the Baby Boomers die off the SS crises is over and there it's funding will be MUCH easier. That of course doesn't change the fact that there IS a short-term funding issue, but it DOES put it in perspective. The problem - though significant and real - is temporary.

Thirdly, even WITH the current SS shortfalls, the insovlency of the SS system is hardly a foregone conclusion. The fact is, if payments were reduced by less than 20% SS would NO PROBLEMS at all meeting it's current and future commitments. The problem of course is having the political will to do that - since it means cutbacks to the folks who depend on it - so it's a very difficult thing to do (politically). Still, it shows that SS is not a doomed program - merely one that needs considerable belt-tightening to become solvent again.

Medicare however IS a much tougher problem to deal with.
No simple solutions there AT ALL.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies