Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:10 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
hey you left out the KKK and the politicians from 1820-1950's who enacted legislation to maintain the status quo which engendered racism.

As I said when apartheid South Africa expessed admiration for your country's racial laws, I would suggest that it is not unexpected that those same attributes reside with some people today.
Indeed they do. David Duke comes to mind! The KKK is still operational today, only in small groups, rather than a large organization, solely because of the civil lawsuit brought against them by Morris Dees of the Southern Poverty Law Center over the lynching of Michael Donald, which resulted in a $7 million verdict against the Klan. IMO, 1981 was NOT that long ago! The person convicted of lynching Donald was executed in 1997!

Oppression of black people is still very, very fresh in this country!

"After Michael Donald was lynched in 1981 in Alabama, the FBI investigated his death. Two local Klansmen were convicted of having a role including Henry Hays who was sentenced to death. With the support of attorneys Morris Dees and Joseph J. Levin at the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), Michael's mother, Beulah Mae Donald, sued the Ku Klux Klan in civil court in Alabama. Her lawsuit against the United Klans of America was tried in February 1987. The all-white jury found the Klan responsible for the lynching of Michael Donald and ordered the Klan to pay $7 million USD. To pay the judgment, the Klan turned over all of its assets, including its national headquarters building in Tuscaloosa.[96]
After exhausting the appeals process, Henry Hayes was executed for Donald's death in Alabama on June 6, 1997. It was the first time since 1913 that a white man had been executed in Alabama for a crime against an African American."

Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2009, 04:10 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yes America is this big racist country that elected a 1/2 black man president.
Just because 53% of the people voted for a man does not mean there isn't any racism around.

How about the 700,000 votes David Duke got for governor just ~15 years ago? Did all those 700,000 KKK supporters in Louisiana suddenly change their minds?

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-09-2009 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 10-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
And more then American soldiers have died in recent attacks since the commander on the ground asked the village idiot for more help.

Did you notice that?
Racial killings and soldiers dying in a war are not even slightly related. What planet have you been residing on for the past 40 years???

Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
So racism is not an issue these days?

"PHOENIX, AZ -- "Kill Obama" was spray painted in purple on campaign signs at two locations in Cave Creek, a suburb of Phoenix, according to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO).

"The Phoenix area has had a run of high-profile racist incidents recently. Last weekend, an interracial couple was gunned down while walking through a park last weekend after a stranger with a shaved head and tattoos asked the African-American man why he was "with a white woman." Residents of Fountain Hills, another Phoenix suburb, were terrorized recently by racist vandalism that included anti-Semitic and pro-KKK imagery.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dawn-teo/kill-obama-painted-on-pho_b_314751.html
Well Obama isn't the first president that somebody wanted dead so the signs don't bother me. As for the killings; senseless crime is always sad. But I'm not surprised - I can't believe any sane person seriously thought that having a black president would end all racism.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:13 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Well Obama isn't the first president that somebody wanted dead so the signs don't bother me. As for the killings; senseless crime is always sad. But I'm not surprised - I can't believe any sane person seriously thought that having a black president would end all racism.
I agree on that statement. And the rest of your statement, as well.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Could you name some of those KKK members from the 1820s????? Or even 40 years after 1820???? I, for one, would really like to have that eye-opening info.
I wouldn't know them personally.

I try not to mix with Americans to be honest with you.

But here is some information about slavery in your country

Happy reading
Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2009, 04:15 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Just because 53% of the people voted for a man does not mean there isn't any racism around.

What a MORONIC statement.

How about the 700,000 votes David Duke got for governor just ~15 years ago? Did all those 700,000 KKK supporters in Louisiana suddenly change their minds?
Yep....and the thousands that attend the Rev Wrights old racist church. The thousands that supported the hateful racist Van Jones. There is definitely PLENTY of racism in this country!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:16 PM

873 posts, read 1,803,647 times
I turned over a rock today, and low and behold there was one there! They're EVERYWHERE. Now if only they weren't white nationalists, but instead black nationalists or mexican nationalists, etc. everything would be okay but when it's the evil whitey, well that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
White Nationalists are everywhere, not just Texas or Oklahoma.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:17 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,228 times
Quote:
What does racism have to do with this at all?

You need to be reminded of what the racist left wingers did to Bush for 8 years.

Notice the racist carrying the sign????

http://www.ringospictures.com/photos/20090816/7.jpg
She looks like a Pacific Islander to me.
What's your point? That white people have never been as racist as black people? That we've been the victims all along? Seriously, what's wrong with you?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
What does racism have to do with this at all?

You need to be reminded of what the racist left wingers did to Bush for 8 years.

Notice the racist carrying the sign????

http://www.ringospictures.com/photos/20090816/7.jpg
No matter haw hard you try or how pathetic your efforts, you simply cannot tie the hatred for Bush to racist attitudes. No way. Simply doesn't fly.

And don't give me that "black racists" routine. Since WHEN have black people been the dominant, controlling power in the United States? Huh? WHEN were white people lynched on the grounds of a courthouse and the public invited to bring picnics to enjoy the "show"? Huh? Or is it really true that you are woefully ignorant of American history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies