Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

I keep reading Israel will bomb by such and such a date, but I've been hearing this for the last 3-4 years. Some say it's just psychobabble to psych out the Iranians, but the latter seems to be forging ahead with their plans to build a nuclear bomb anyway. Israel knows it and the world knows it, despite Ahmadamnnutjob's denials. Does Israel realize it doesn't really have the b*lls to actually start a nuclear war? Will it just learn to live with another nuclear power in the Middle East? I don't want to see war, despite the tone of my question, but I'd just like to know yes, they will or no, they won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
It may get messy.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
God I hope not. That will probably mark the begining of World War 3. Gas will shoot up to 5 bucks a gallon in one day and kids will start getting their draft notices in mail soon after.

But yea, I imagine that day isn't far off.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Yes, IMO, Israel will "bomb" (take out) Iran's nuclear weapons program facilities.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:06 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
God I hope not. That will probably mark the begining of World War 3. Gas will shoot up to 5 bucks a gallon in one day and kids will start getting their draft notices in mail soon after.

But yea, I imagine that day isn't far off.
Well, my gut feeling is that if Israel really intended to bomb, the would have done it by now. That they've delayed and delayed gives me hope they they're too afraid of the repercussions---being bombed into oblivion themselves, shunned by the world community, cut off from all aid, etc. hence they'll learn to live with a nuclear Iran ands hope for the best. I think the best solution is to just put the Iranians on notice that the first offensive move Iran makes against them will be the last day Iran exists on the globe. What Israel needs in the eyes of the world is a good excuse to hit Iran with everything they've got. With that, the world would not retaliate against Israel for obliterating Iran as long it was perceived that Iran was going to obliterate first.

Quote:
Pick your answer below:

The 20 standard answers on a Magic 8-Ball are:
[SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] As I see it, yes [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] It is certain [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] It is decidedly so [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Most likely [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Outlook good [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Signs point to yes [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Without a doubt [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Yes [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Yes - definitely [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] You may rely on it [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Reply hazy, try again [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Ask again later [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Better not tell you now [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Cannot predict now [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Concentrate and ask again [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Don't count on it [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] My reply is no [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] My sources say no [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Outlook not so good [SIZE=5]●[/SIZE] Very doubtful
Nothing like having a vast array of choices, I always say.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Israel will probably try to take out the Iranian nuclear facilities and probably destroy the facility it can find. I will bet there are concealed facilities and probably bombs already in existence, if not in place, to do a huge amount of damage to Israel. I can only hope they are not so paralyzed by fear that they actually bomb Iran. That would, IMHO, be the end of Israel.

IMHO the Israeli’s would be better off trying to make peace with its neighbors, firstly the Palestinians, than to continue to be such a Holier than thou irritant.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
you never know but the mideastern way involved lots of sword rattling and posturing, the people find it very attractive and give much support to it. the time to worry is when they are quiet, like the syrian deadly behavior towards lebanon.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yes, IMO, Israel will "bomb" (take out) Iran's nuclear weapons program facilities.
Unlike Iraq of Syria, anyone attempting to "take out" Iran's nuclear program is going to have to hit more than one target. Iran has over a dozen potential sites that would have to be targeted, in a country vastly larger than Iraq or Syria and with a far more extensive anti-aircraft defense.

The site Global Security estimates that a successful air strike against Iran would have to be equal in size to the initial air strikes against Iraq in 2003, that's 21,736 sorties!

I'm not an military expert, but to my mind, without over flight privileges from Iraq or Saudi Arabia I am at a loss to see how Israel could mount even a fraction of the number of sorties that would be required.

So my answer is no. But if they do, the immediate purpose wouldn't be to destroy Iran's nuclear capacity.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I do not want to see any nation "removed from the earth". I just want to see them stop acting like a bunch of preschool childern and stop fighting all the time.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not want to see any nation "removed from the earth". I just want to see them stop acting like a bunch of preschool childern and stop fighting all the time.

Correct me if I am wrong but, isn't it Iran who has made comments (several / numerous) about wiping Israel off the face of the planet? I don't recall Israel responding likewise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies