Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times

Advertisements

UK troubled by violent anti-Islam protests - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090912/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_anti_islam_protests - broken link)

An interesting article about troubles in England.

What can they do about this issue they are having?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:09 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
I thought the UK is a utopian society free of nasty things like guns and pay as you go healthcare?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I thought the UK is a utopian society free of nasty things like guns and pay as you go healthcare?
No country is perfect.

If you thought so, then I am sorry.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 AM

192 posts, read 219,991 times
This is one thing I love about Europe, they take a HARD LINE stance against Islam. Unlike here where we are obligated to say that they are "peaceful" people, and that most of these bad activities just come from "fringe" groups. I love the stance that France has taken against these savage people.

I urge EVERYONE to look up "Shariah Law", which is a brutal form of punishment, unevenly enforced upon women and homosexuals, the very people that liberals claim to love so much. Shariah Law is not just followed by "radical Islam", it is the law in most Muslim countries. The law is supported by the government and the people. Shariah Law includes stoning women to death for dubious accusations of adultery, hanging homosexuals for engaging in homosexual sex, etc. Yet liberals complain about the Christians in the United States. As a radical atheist, I will take Christianity any day over Islam.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,983,929 times
Even in England the Far Right starts trouble!

Whats wrong with these people?

Quote from the article:

"The tactic of trying to provoke a response in the hope of causing wider violence and mayhem is long established on the far-right and among extremist groups,"

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post
This is one thing I love about Europe, they take a HARD LINE stance against Islam. Unlike here where we are obligated to say that they are "peaceful" people, and that most of these bad activities just come from "fringe" groups. I love the stance that France has taken against these savage people.

I urge EVERYONE to look up "Shariah Law", which is a brutal form of punishment, unevenly enforced upon women and homosexuals, the very people that liberals claim to love so much. Shariah Law is not just followed by "radical Islam", it is the law in most Muslim countries. The law is supported by the government and the people. Shariah Law includes stoning women to death for dubious accusations of adultery, hanging homosexuals for engaging in homosexual sex, etc. Yet liberals complain about the Christians in the United States. As a radical atheist, I will take Christianity any day over Islam.
I am an atheist too. I would take Christianity anyday over Islam as well. Even though the Bible says horrible things about women and homosexuals, at least Christians today have become more modern than Muslims.

I know a lot about Sharia Law. It is crazy and I cannot believe some of those laws are still followed. I know one law where they say a mans life is worth two times more than a woman.

I do believe in Muslim's rights in the USA to follow their religion and worship to Allah. HOWEVER, I am against them trying to change the laws and government to fit their needs. Such as praying in school five times a day or whatever. Same with Christians. I am all for their right to follow Christ and worship God but when they want to come into school and do public prayer as well, it cannot work.

If Islam ever becomes a threat in USA, then I am sure things will be done about it. As of right now, I do not see how Muslims in the USA are a threat. Radical Islam is just as scary as radical Christianity.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:35 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,476,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
*Erects strawman*

*Waits for someone to justify terrible post*

Old 09-12-2009, 10:38 AM

The problem is, is that these things happen little by little. You give them an inch and they take a mile. I am of the belief that you need to take a hard line stance from the beginning, once it already happens it's too late. I don't believe in "wait and see" politics, because it's very difficult to reverse these things once they have taken hold.

Again, I applaud France and the rest of Europe for taking a hard line stance against these people. Why do Muslims even want to move to these countries? The Western World is against everything Islam stands for. These people do not try to assimilate into our culture, which is the problem. They come here, isolate themselves, and expect people to be sympathetic.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am an atheist too. I would take Christianity anyday over Islam as well. Even though the Bible says horrible things about women and homosexuals, at least Christians today have become more modern than Muslims.

I know a lot about Sharia Law. It is crazy and I cannot believe some of those laws are still followed. I know one law where they say a mans life is worth two times more than a woman.

I do believe in Muslim's rights in the USA to follow their religion and worship to Allah. HOWEVER, I am against them trying to change the laws and government to fit their needs. Such as praying in school five times a day or whatever. Same with Christians. I am all for their right to follow Christ and worship God but when they want to come into school and do public prayer as well, it cannot work.

If Islam ever becomes a threat in USA, then I am sure things will be done about it. As of right now, I do not see how Muslims in the USA are a threat. Radical Islam is just as scary as radical Christianity.

Nonsense. All religions (or extreme belief systems) have the potential to be as dangerous and crazy as the next. The vast majority of muslims, like the vast majority of christians are of no threat to anyone. People are people wherever you go, and wherever you live - its the fringes in any society that people sometimes mistake for representing the population as a whole.

Britain does not take a 'hard line' against Islam, and I haven't seen or heard of these demonstrations. One group or another is always protesting in London - something that I actually like about London. As for Christians becoming more 'modern' than muslims - get real! The generlizations in this thread are pathetic.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
*Erects strawman*

*Waits for someone to justify terrible post*

It's a sort of satire, but then again not really. All we ever hear from the left is how great Europe is, how everyone pays their taxes without complaint, how everyone has health care, how no one has guns except for the criminals and the government, etc. I know Europe isn't perfect, but listening to the left you would never know that. All I ever hear from you guys is "why can't we be more like France?", "this is how they do things in France", "in France....".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies