Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times

Advertisements

An interesting article from the British perspective.

Quote:
Ann Pettifor is a member of a select club — the seers who saw it all coming. Now the economist, who predicted the credit crunch as far back as 2003, believes that the worst is yet to come unless there is radical reform of the financial system.

Six years ago she parodied the International Monetary Fund’s annual economic forecast with her own — The Real World Economic Outlook. Then, in 2006, her book The Coming First World Debt Crisis, warned that rich countries were heading for a debt crisis that would overshadow anything seen in the developing world. Both were ridiculed.

With the British and world economies languishing in the worst recession since the Great Depression and with once-mighty banks reliant on government life support, she could be forgiven for being a little smug. Not a bit of it: “No, being Cassandra is not something I wish for. I hate this role of being a gloomer and doomer, as I’m an optimist by nature. But I am very pessimistic now.”

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6816287.ece
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,406 times
As much as I would love to believe that the economy is improving, I have to admit that the guy is probably right. I fear things will get much worse before they improve.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
As much as I would love to believe that the economy is improving, I have to admit that the guy is probably right. I fear things will get much worse before they improve.
But the point he is making is that nothing has changed!
Bad behaviors were rewarded not punished. How can one not see that this will all happen again. Nothing has changed, Wall st fat cats will get fat again, they will continue to lie steal and cheat and continue to hold their hands out for bailouts when things go wrong.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 AM

The Economist in the article is a woman with a name only an English person could have.....Ann Pettifor.

Sounds like a character from Peter Pan.

It is a good read and the woman is actually left leaning in her views.

Basically there needs to be an overhaul of the system NOT just propping it up to keep going a little longer.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
3 words to the folks with their heads in the sand.

TOLD...YOU...SO...

Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
I wonder if this would have been posted if the OP knew that Ann Pettifor is a lefty progressive. And just for the record, the club that she is a member of is not so exclusive as the article makes out. She was one of a number who were sounding alarms from late 2003 onward -- alarms that were all ignored by the Bush administration and its principal regulators and policy makers...

Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
3 words to the folks with their heads in the sand.

TOLD...YOU...SO...
Starting January 20, 2009. Anything from beore that???

Old 09-01-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I wonder if this would have been posted if the OP knew that Ann Pettifor is a lefty progressive. And just for the record, the club that she is a member of is not so exclusive as the article makes out. She was one of a number who were sounding alarms from late 2003 onward -- alarms that were all ignored by the Bush administration and its principal regulators and policy makers...
I actually read the article...what difference does it make her political beliefs as to whether she is correct or not?

Unlike some here,I can take what information that is provided and do not need to run it through a special political filter.

You might also try reading my second post on this thread.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:47 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The Economist in the article is a woman with a name only an English person could have.....Ann Pettifor.

Sounds like a character from Peter Pan.

It is a good read and the woman is actually left leaning in her views.

Basically there needs to be an overhaul of the system NOT just propping it up to keep going a little longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, it seems the poster was aware. Maybe if you read before making knee jerk assumptions you would not look foolish and diminish your posts to useless.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Yes, it seems the poster was aware. Maybe if you read before making knee jerk assumptions you would not look foolish and diminish your posts to useless.
Saggy seems to be getting a lot more politically partisan and blind since I ordered him to ignore me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies