Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:43 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,875,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I really can't say much on his feelings about race being a factor - I'm a white guy, and I really don't know what a guy like Patterson may go through. I know political bosses are duchebags, and can be pretty cruel - So who knows what's said to him privately by these creeps. (I say that, because my experience with being part of a political party showed me what these people are really like...and capable of).

As far as his comments about the media - Well, we all agree with that (left and right).

He was dealt a bad hand from the beginning. He walked into a freaking mess - And, he tried to be a compromiser (a mortal sin in any political party - you're their guy, you stick with them, no matter what).

So, he got no support from anyone.
In all fairness, he was born into a political family given his father's experience, he should have had an inkling of how things work.
His father, Basil Paterson, was once New York's secretary of state and a vice-chair of the national Democratic Party.

The Gov. worked for the Queens DA, worked Dinkin's successful bid to become Manhattan borough president, and later sought and won a special election for a state senate -- a seat once held by his father. He was also Senate minority leader. Gov. Paterson was no neophyte to the NYS political arena.

Given the three ring circus which transpired in the assembly earlier this summer, it was apparent that he was not a strong enough leader.

Compromisers do not sell out their constituents to fund the MBTA.

In order to help close the deficit, he considered a number of taxes; mind you within the county I live, I currently pay 8.625% on purchases. How much more can we be nickled and dimed?

A link: GOV'S TAX & SPEND SHOCKER - New York Post and some highlights:

Quote:
137 proposed new and hiked taxes on everything from beer to cab rides to iTunes downloads and movie tickets.
The doomsday, $121.1 billion plan represents the biggest tax hike in state history and slashes services across the board - while still increasing spending by $1.4 billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies