Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is hurting the GOP the most?
Lies, lies, lies, lies, and damn lies 10 16.13%
Birther non-sense 2 3.23%
Town hall screaming 1 1.61%
Constant marital affairs with both women and men 5 8.06%
There are no true conservatives left in the party 10 16.13%
All of the above 34 54.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,493,296 times

Advertisements

I picked all of the above, but there's an overarching problem that wasn't addressed: Their lack of desire, or inability, to distance themselves from the nutcases. Not all of those people are Republicans, but they're associated with them. Yet the Republicans refuse to denounce them. As for the affairs, it's disgraceful. As a christian you can't say you vote for the GOP because of family values because they don't have any. Which is why some are leaving the GOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,493,296 times
Quote:
Originally posted by TheLiberalVoice
Yes. I agree. I was actually talking to a friend about this. How is that they had no problem spending billions and billions in aid to Isreal and trillions to Iraq but to spend it here in the US is just grounds for NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know. Isn't it bizarre?

Old 08-22-2009, 02:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 977,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I picked all of the above, but there's an overarching problem that wasn't addressed: Their lack of desire, or inability, to distance themselves from the nutcases. Not all of those people are Republicans, but they're associated with them. Yet the Republicans refuse to denounce them. As for the affairs, it's disgraceful. As a christian you can't say you vote for the GOP because of family values because they don't have any. Which is why some are leaving the GOP.
I agree. I notice that time and time again they refuse to denounce the birthers, death panel nuts and town hall screamers.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
The GOP is fractured. They have no leader, no theme to hold them together.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:10 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,907,629 times
The internet hurts them more than anything.
Its harder to get away with the constant lying - not that it will stop them from trying.

Imagine if the uninformed amongst us ever decided to stop being lazy and verify what repubs say before spreading garbage.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:18 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,861,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Lets take a look at the GOP:

8 years of the idiot frat boy from Texas is followed up by John McCain and.................Sarah Palin?

I mean, can this party get any dumber?
(one word) OBAMA

Old 08-22-2009, 02:39 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,959,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Lets take a look at the GOP:

8 years of the idiot frat boy from Texas is followed up by John McCain and.................Sarah Palin?

I mean, can this party get any dumber?
Spoken like a true Carter supporter in 1978,

We're looking like we are in for a repeat of 1980.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:54 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,510,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Spoken like a true Carter supporter in 1978
Carter ran in 1976 and 1980.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
We're looking like we are in for a repeat of 1980.
Is that some sort of threat to run Clint Eastwood? He probably would do a lot better than anybody else you've got, and hey, he'd only be 82 in 2012. Prime of life, these days. Otherwise, I'd be thinking more about a repeat of 1964 if I were you...

Old 08-22-2009, 03:13 PM

38,090 posts, read 22,239,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What's left of the GOP is hurt most by its utter inability to function as a viable political party, and this problem is one that's been progressing like some terminal cancer for decades. Attack-politics, wedge issues, 50%-plus-1. These may help win elections, but in the long-run, they lose voters, a process which is only accelerated when you turn out to be horribly wrong about most things on top of it. What may be the last remnants of the Republicans are today all-in on a policy of nothing but opposing, frustrating, and blindly discrediting everything that anyone else tries to do in the hope that whatever national failure they can help bring about will eventually provide them with some sort of partisan advantage. They no longer participate in the political process. They merely heckle. And the more that bunches of off-the-wall, screaming, Palinesque yahoos come to be the face of the Republican Party, the worse off they are.
Flip that around and it describes the 2000-2006 out of power Democratic Party too.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 PM

38,090 posts, read 22,239,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
The internet hurts them more than anything.
Its harder to get away with the constant lying - not that it will stop them from trying.

Imagine if the uninformed amongst us ever decided to stop being lazy and verify what repubs say before spreading garbage.
There are plenty of mirrored duplicates of those same people on the democratic side; ignorant partisan hacks, that never stop to question the truth of what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies