Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times

Advertisements

The wheels of the economy are based on consumers spending. To spend they need money and that comes from jobs. Keep losing jobs and there will be no more consumer to spend what they don't have.

The stimulus is keeping Wall Street going but not Main Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
The wheels of the economy are based on consumers spending.
You betcha. People DO NOT trust obama and the plans he has coming down the pike. They know if ANY of his big spending programs (cap&trade and HC) get passed, taxes will be going up - for everybody.

I could be spending, but I'm not and I won't do it. Basically essentials and nothing more.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,992,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
To both of you who replied to my post: how will the stimulus boost the economy? Don't you think it's just a case of keeping the wolf from the door, while sinking us into even MORE debt? I'm no economist, I'm not a conservative, but it just seems to me like we're pumping hundreds of billions of dollars worth of future taxpayers money into a broken system, in essence, just keeping the wolf from the door for a while longer.
You call our "system" broken .... but you must realize, good or bad, it's the only system we have.

You can't just ignore it, let it implode, and still expect life to go on as usual.

Our entire way of life relies on keeping our present system running.

Everything in the economy is connected to everything else.

If major banks fail ... then big corporations have nobody to borrow from to buy goods ... which causes them to fail ... and when they fail, they lay off their employees ... which causes these unemployed people to have more foreclosures .... and on ... and on ...

Hopefully, after the recession is over, we will have better regulation over financial systems to prevent a similar situation from ever happening again.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You betcha. People DO NOT trust obama and the plans he has coming down the pike. They know if ANY of his big spending programs (cap&trade and HC) get passed, taxes will be going up - for everybody.

I could be spending, but I'm not and I won't do it. Basically essentials and nothing more.
Maybe you should be more specific ... and say SOME people?

There are quite a few of us (approximately half the country) who are VERY happy with him !!!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:00 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,297,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
You call our "system" broken .... but you must realize, good or bad, it's the only system we have.

You can't just ignore it, let it implode, and still expect life to go on as usual.

Our entire way of life relies on keeping our present system running.

Everything in the economy is connected to everything else.

If major banks fail ... then big corporations have nobody to borrow from to buy goods ... which causes them to fail ... and when they fail, they lay off their employees ... which causes these unemployed people to have more foreclosures .... and on ... and on ...

Hopefully, after the recession is over, we will have better regulation over financial systems to prevent a similar situation from ever happening again.
The funny part is that I don't expect life to go on as usual, because that's what has got us into this mess in the first place. By doing nothing more than pumping money into the problem, we are doing nothing more than keeping the wolf from the door.

Better regulation? I'd agree with you there and going forward, I'd really like to see that happen. However, I'm not happy with the fact that these "bailouts" have created an enormous debt that will take potentially decades to pay back and will inevitably result in higher taxes and a lesser quality of life for future generations anyway.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 PM

38,014 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Better watch out for those black helicopters flying overhead...
Did 0bama and Biden both state that the stimulus was doing exactly as they intended or not? It would have been nice if they would have told us THIS was their intention, so we could have told them to stuff it up their ass.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,214,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

scary music plays in the background... People, are you talking of the same nutbags that frequent the TeaBag Parties or the Town Hall's who are there to debate HealthCare Reform but talk like God Fearing Christians who spout out about bs like 2nd ammendment rights which has nothing to do with HCR...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,981,953 times
Quote:
Run out of responses ... so you change the subject?

Nice diversion!
Actually, it's related to the economy because tin foil hat extraordinaire Bawney Fwanks thought there was no housing bubble in 2005. What an idiot!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
The funny part is that I don't expect life to go on as usual, because that's what has got us into this mess in the first place. By doing nothing more than pumping money into the problem, we are doing nothing more than keeping the wolf from the door.

Better regulation? I'd agree with you there and going forward, I'd really like to see that happen. However, I'm not happy with the fact that these "bailouts" have created an enormous debt that will take potentially decades to pay back and will inevitably result in higher taxes and a lesser quality of life for future generations anyway.
No ... what got us into this mess was greedy financial companies who were giving out millions of home loans to people that couldn't pay them back.

And as far as higher debt goes ... we've already doubled it during the Bush years.

If you weren't concerned then ... why are you concerned now?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,297,783 times
Quote:
No ... what got us into this mess was greedy financial companies who were giving out millions of home loans to people that couldn't pay them back.

And as far as higher debt goes ... we've already doubled it during the Bush years.

If you weren't concerned then ... why are you concerned now?
I agree...idiot Bush ran up most of these debts, and for what? Tougher regulation could quite possibly have prevented this, but I am also afraid of throwing money @ a problem. I would rather see the money directed towards providing people with a safety net, rather than bailing out failing companies. These bailouts may have helped Wall Street, but they've done little to help Main Street, other than create even more debt that every American taxpayer is going to have to pay back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies