Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,245,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
So your saying that nobody will change and they don't deserve another chance.Who are you to Judge,like I say they did their time that the state requierd of them.

So no don't give them the chance to be productive in socity and use Tax Payers money to house and feed them.Well then don't be bitching when you are doing this. Don't make no sence to me!

hillman
Your question was would I hire or rent to an excon?
I answered your question. But you did not answer any of mine.
Who am I to judge? Someone who does not want to be a victim.
Can they change? Perhaps some will, but not at my expense or that of my family.
Sexual predatores have a very high repeat rate. nah not in my house.
pedophiles? Would you hire 1 to be a daycare worker? How about to cut your grass?
If I know that a dog has a history of biting people I am not going to bring that dog into contact with more people to bite. I will have it put down and eliminate the risk altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,245,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Lol!

I don't really have a problem with anything you said, except maybe that I would try to set things up so that the gas heads weren't necessary.

And, trust me, I'm the last guy who would be quick to judge a prison guard harshly. I can't even imagine all of what they must suffer, but what I can imagine is enough to win my respect and sympathy. That is a job that I could not begin to do.

There is no question that it is every bit the hell hole that you say it is. And that is why, if I'm hypothetically a guy who is a peaceful and harmless minor offender or a guy wrongly convicted, I would want to be damn sure that that those other guys - the animals who deserve to be there - were in prison!! See what I mean? They should not be allowed to torture and terrorize at will.
LOL we agree. Like you I would rather see minor offenders jailed with other minor offenders. Keep the real scumbags together like in a supermax.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 PM

23,255 posts, read 29,103,005 times
Default The smartest ones will never see a prison!

True Crime writer Ann Rule has said that there are perfect crimes being committed every hour of the day, every day of the week in this country.
To say crime doesn't pay? Oh please!

Many in prison, quite simply, didn't do their homework. If everybody did their homework (about 300 true crime books should suffice) our prison population would be far less than it is today.

The smartest ones are your neighbors that you may be in awe of. And our neighbors will always be a mystery to us, whether you wave to them everyday, they do favors for you, they go to church every Sunday, they invite you over for BBQ's or drive you to work some day when your car wouldn't start. Stop looking for the ones with the horns in place of ears or the ones with the smiles of a clown. You're looking in the wrong places.
These people could be wearing business suits just to mow their lawns.

As they say: A college education gives you a license to steal.

Back during Prohibition in the 20's, if they had arrrested everyone who was in violation of the Volstead Act, including all the Hollywood stars, we would have had to build prisons at the rate of a prison a month to contain them all.
They were violating the law, just like drug users today. Enough people break the law, the law will be overturned.

I do believe President Bush signed off on a prison rape law during his administration to crack down on prison rape. If I recall. Anyone else recall that?

What really bothers me the most is those who are in prison who are innocent of the charges. How many times do we read of someone released from prison due to DNA analysis? What a horrid nightmare it would be to spend years in prison, telling everyone you're innocent, and indeed you are.

It has been said that prisons will eventually bankrupt this country. Not so in Europe where prison sentences are 2-3 times less than they are here. In Europe, they inject, to Americans, a foreign commodity: compassion, into their sentencing.

Last edited by tijlover; 08-20-2009 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 08-21-2009, 12:28 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,945,812 times
I agree with the op. I do not want prison to be a pleasant experience, nor do I want prisoners coddled and comfortable. But they should not be brutalized. Note, this is not sympathy for the prisoner. Rather it is realizing that most prisoners will be out at some point, so why release them in worse condition then when they went in? It creates an extra burden by doing so. Sure, they should live in fear of going back, but in reality some will come out angrier and more violent.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,986,148 times
Do we really need to be sending more people to Prison and jail? I mean look at how horrible the economy is.....we are just making matters worse and wasting money by sending non-violent people to jail. Do house arrest or work release at the worst.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,238,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What really bothers me the most is those who are in prison who are innocent of the charges. How many times do we read of someone released from prison due to DNA analysis? What a horrid nightmare it would be to spend years in prison, telling everyone you're innocent, and indeed you are.

http://www.courant.com/community/new...,6689512.story
Ireland is the third person freed from prison in the past three years based on new DNA testing.
(in Connecticut)

Old 08-21-2009, 06:49 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,742,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
True Crime writer Ann Rule has said that there are perfect crimes being committed every hour of the day, every day of the week in this country.
To say crime doesn't pay? Oh please!

Many in prison, quite simply, didn't do their homework. If everybody did their homework (about 300 true crime books should suffice) our prison population would be far less than it is today.

The smartest ones are your neighbors that you may be in awe of. And our neighbors will always be a mystery to us, whether you wave to them everyday, they do favors for you, they go to church every Sunday, they invite you over for BBQ's or drive you to work some day when your car wouldn't start. Stop looking for the ones with the horns in place of ears or the ones with the smiles of a clown. You're looking in the wrong places.
These people could be wearing business suits just to mow their lawns.

As they say: A college education gives you a license to steal.

Back during Prohibition in the 20's, if they had arrrested everyone who was in violation of the Volstead Act, including all the Hollywood stars, we would have had to build prisons at the rate of a prison a month to contain them all.
They were violating the law, just like drug users today. Enough people break the law, the law will be overturned.

I do believe President Bush signed off on a prison rape law during his administration to crack down on prison rape. If I recall. Anyone else recall that?

It has been said that prisons will eventually bankrupt this country. Not so in Europe where prison sentences are 2-3 times less than they are here. In Europe, they inject, to Americans, a foreign commodity: compassion, into their sentencing.
It is unfair to say that compassion is a foreign commodity to Americans. We are perhaps just a little more selective where applying it than some.

Most of us are not bleeding hearts and I'm very glad of that. Compassion can be overdone and is just plain foolish and wasted on certain individuals and circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies