Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,361,310 times

Advertisements

Wow! They made a profit -

SO WHAT?????????

BTW - do you have any investments in Health Insurance Companies? For if you do - then, you are being hypocritical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 04:52 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,273,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
1. UnitedHealth Group — $ 4.654 BILLION. UnitedHealth Group owns Oxford, PacifiCare, IBA, AmeriChoice, Evercare, Ovations, MAMSI and Ingenix, a healthcare data company

2. WellPoint — $ 3.345 BILLION. Wellpoint owns BLUES across the US, including Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wisconsin, Empire HealthChoice Assurance, Healthy Alliance, and many others

3. Aetna Inc. — $ 1.831 BILLION

4. CIGNA Corp — $ 1.115 BILLION

5. Humana Inc. — $ 834 million

6. Coventry Health Care — $626 million. Coventry owns Altius, Carelink, Group Health Plan, HealthAmerica, OmniCare, WellPath, others

7. Health Net — $ 194 million

The huge insurance company profits—BILLIONS EACH YEAR—could be used to provide quality healthcare for millions of people, and to pay physicians adequately for their work.

You said PROFIT, right? Wow. Wonder why the industry doesn't support the proposed health care bill?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:53 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,871,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Links.

Otherwise this is all just more nonsense from the liberal left.

How can you people sit there and believe this when the OP hasn't even shown proof?

I don't think this is a liberal issue I am a moderate. I think it sucks when people can’t see a doctor because of their ability to pay. I do care about my neighbors. Also when I was in college I had no medical insurance even though I was pharmacy tech for Rite Aid. Rite Aid did not offer us any and I waited for hours at the county health clinic just to see a doctor. It was not a pleasant experience.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,145,511 times
These horrible insurance companies. How dare they make a profit. Let's nationalize health care because the government has been so successful with Medicare, Medicaid, and other Federal entities!!! Hey, while we're at it..the supermarkets are making too much money....let's force them to lower their prices and nationalize the food industry. Those attorney's are making a lot of money too....let's nationalize lawyers and decide what they can make and what they can't make. I have a good group of people that need to be looked at....College Professors and Teachers...yeah, they make an AWFUL lot of money.....let's nationalize the teaching profession and immediately lower the salaries they are paid....let some liberals feel the pain........

Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,917,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Links.

Otherwise this is all just more nonsense from the liberal left.

How can you people sit there and believe this when the OP hasn't even shown proof?

I would assume by your response that if it is true, you are outraged by the actions of the insurance companies!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

SO WHAT?????????

BTW - do you have any investments in Health Insurance Companies? For if you do - then, you are being hypocritical

So what??? The problem is that the health insurance companies make their profits by denying care to people who need it.

Quote:
Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia has repeatedly refused to cover my medicine, my office visits and my doctor ordered brain and heart tests. Now I can't log in and when I call the 800 number they say it's after hours and they hang up. I have surgery tomorrow and they won't pre-certify me! Blood-suckers!
This is just one true example of many on this website. People are writing about their own personal experiences with health insurance and posting it here.

Health Insurance Horror Stories

Capitalism is only good when we don’t allow extreme selfishness and greed to control our economy!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM

A perspective from an employee at an health insurance company.

Quote:
I worked for a "blue brand" for over 3 years, and I can tell ya folks, they are out to get your money, BUT, they are not out to get it in big chunks, they are going to nickle-and-dime you to the poorhouse. They use and anachronistic computer system from the late 60's (sics) and just the crappiest system of management that would make Enron execs seem like angels. They can send their daily "feel good" mailers, but can they lower your costs? Answer: NO. They pay their employees crap, they cover crap, they overcharge employers and cheat providers. You have to call customer service for every little thing, and it will still be screwed up. If you have this ****ty insurance it's better to quit your job and find someplace that does not use this insurance company. If you have the misfortune of having a contract with a "blue-brand" as a provider, it's better to get out-of-network rates than have to deal with the constant f-ups. If it's not screwed up now, it will be. I spent 3 years of my life telling them how to improve their systems so it won't mess up peoples benefits well over half the time, I got put on warning for not being a "team player." Just remember it's not the person answering the phone's fault, it's the billionaires who are "stake holders" in this gigantic stinking turd.
Health Insurance Horror Stories

My question is; Do you right-wingers actually like this kind of treatment?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

SO WHAT?????????[/QUOTE
]

So What????

Ask this child that!

Quote:
“When Steve and Leslie Shaeffer’s daughter, Selah, was diagnosed at age 4 with a potentially fatal tumor in her jaw, they figured their health insurance would cover the bulk of her treatment costs.” But “shortly after Selah’s medical bills hit $20,000, Blue Cross stopped covering them and eventually canceled her coverage retroactively.”
http://select.nytimes.com/2006/09/22...gman.html?_r=1

Old 07-29-2009, 06:02 PM

8,045 posts, read 9,251,035 times
And what will the proposed bill to reform health care do to eliminate excess profits? Doesn't look like much. Just a health co op of private plans.

Blue Dogs And House Leaders Make Deal To Continue Health Talks, Cut Costs Of Bill - Kaiser Health News

Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,805,878 times
Add all their profits together wouldn't cover a fraction to the $1 trillion price tag of Obamacare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies