Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think a completely tax free society could work?
Yes, let people decide where their money goes. 27 39.13%
No, too much privatization. 42 60.87%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 PM

45 posts, read 87,155 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've been mulling this over in my mind. First of all everyone is welcome to contribute to this thread. Second of all I'm not an economist, so a lot of people here will know more about this subject than me.

When I talk about tax free society, I mean completely:

-No income tax
-No sales tax
-No capital gains tax
-No property tax
-No inheritance tax etc....

The thinks that would drive this society:
-Philanthropy
-Charity/Charitable organization(instead of welfare/free social services)
-Capitalism/ Free trade/ Maximize competition

A society like this would have to have a small limited government. The government would not be an employer or collect taxes(no IRS) from people. If the people wanted new roads, better schools, better parks etc... they would get together raise the money, get the job done themselves. Firstly I think a society like this would have to be fully privatized. Private police(see article below), private healthcare, private schools, private prisons etc....

Benefits of Privatization:
- Private police - higher salary, no immunity like government police
- Private healthcare - less rationing, better services
- Private schools - higher test scores than public school
- Private prisons - could use criminals as labor force to pay off their debt

In fact I think the only tax should be a "criminal tax". So really, any law abiding citizen would be living in a completely tax free society. People who commit misdemeanors could be taxed at 1-10% for 1 - 5 yrs for punishment, or whatever rate you want to use. Harsher criminals(but not murders, rapist, pedos) could work on a prison labor force to work off their debt directly as punishment.

Free free to add how you think a society like this would work or wouldn't. It's just a thought experiment.

Last edited by denison; 07-27-2009 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,293,997 times
ohh yeah...i can see it now...China wants a war with us so we need couple million to sign up, we have no guns, no bombs no nothing to give you...China has 10million ready to go with most advanced guns and nukes...who is with us....ohh and by the way since we are not longer building roads good luck getting to our meeting point.

Within a year of this tax free society we would have a war within the country.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 PM

122 posts, read 224,534 times
I don't think so...

Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
ohh yeah...i can see it now...China wants a war with us so we need couple million to sign up, we have no guns, no bombs no nothing to give you...China has 10m with most advanced guns and nukes...who is with us....ohh and by the way since we are not longer building roads good luck getting to our meeting point.

That's one thing I forget to add. Philanthropist could create trust funds for military, hospital, scientific purposes. People could donate to those. I think you'd get more money that way than actually taxing people.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLoaf_Enchilada View Post
I don't think so...
thanks for the comment.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 PM

720 posts, read 706,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
ohh yeah...i can see it now...China wants a war with us so we need couple million to sign up, we have no guns, no bombs no nothing to give you...China has 10million ready to go with most advanced guns and nukes...who is with us....ohh and by the way since we are not longer building roads good luck getting to our meeting point.

I think there is middle ground here. The Federal government should take care of our defense and have the funds through taxes but that is about all they should have control over.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 AM

I couldn't get any of the links to parse for some reason in the original post/had to edit.

I'll just post the links below. Hopefully the links work.

Criminals work off debt for Private Police:
Self-Defense & Violence Prevention Blog » Blog Archive » I Suggest Private Police

Private Police - How it would work
http://www.libertarian.co.uk/lapubs/polin/polin017.pdf (explains how poor people would be covered too)

Private police - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Self-Defense & Violence Prevention Blog » Blog Archive » Private Police to Stop and Catch Violent Criminals

Private Prisons:
Private prison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2009, 12:07 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denison View Post
Ok, I've been mulling this over in my mind. First of all everyone is welcome to contribute to this thread. Second of all I'm not an economist, so a lot of people here will know more about this subject than me.

When I talk about tax free society, I mean completely:

-No income tax
-No sales tax
-No capital gains tax
-No property tax
-No inheritance tax etc....

The thinks that would drive this society:
-Philanthropy
-Charity/Charitable organization(instead of welfare/free social services)
-Capitalism/ Free trade/ Maximize competition

A society like this would have to have a small limited government. The government would not be an employer or collect taxes(no IRS) from people. If the people wanted new roads, better schools, better parks etc... they would get together raise the money, get the job done themselves. Firstly I think a society like this would have to be fully privatized. Private police(see article below), private healthcare, private schools, private prisons etc....

Benefits of Privatization:
- Private police - higher salary, no immunity like government police
- Private healthcare - less rationing, better services
- Private schools - higher test scores than public school
- Private prisons - could use criminals as labor force to pay off their debt

In fact I think the only tax should be a "criminal tax". So really, any law abiding citizen would be living in a completely tax free society. People who commit misdemeanors could be taxed at 1-10% for 1 - 5 yrs for punishment, or whatever rate you want to use. Harsher criminals(but not murders, rapist, pedos) could work on a prison labor force to work off their debt directly as punishment.

Free free to add how you think a society like this would work or wouldn't. It's just a thought experiment.
Also, everybody gets free ice cream.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Also, everybody gets free ice cream.
no one takes this seriously, thanks.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
you mean like get stuff (services) but dont have to pay for them.
isnt that rip off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies